Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Underdogs - NSFW

Default Re: Underdogs - NSFW

Sizes have changed drastically over the years. If you want to see how much so, go to a fabric store and try to pick a pattern size. You have to go by measurements, not by the size number. For example, a friend who is 5'6 and weighs about 105 pounds, and normally wears a 0/1 (although she has long legs, so for length she'd need a 2). We were in a fabric store, looking at patterns, and she got pissed she couldn't find a 0/2, and I said check the sizes. By the time she took her measurements and what not, she discovered that in pattern sizes she's a 12.

Someone overheard us talking about it, and explained that basically, the pattern sizes are based upon the sizes in the 1920s or so. They just never changed them to conform to current sizing.

From what I've read before, she'd be about an 8/10 now... I've heard that her sizes back then were anything between 12 and 16.

Snopes has a page about it: http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm which says that one of her auctioned dresses was decided to be a US 12 (which may have been at her heavier period), and that her weight ranged from 118 to 140. Of course, we really don't know how accurate that is.

Bronze Member

to answer the first question in the post, i detect a lot of jealousy in the mean-spirited, spiteful comments about thin/skinny/call-it-what-you-want women. remarks such as "body like a boy" - why? does having large breasts alone define you as a woman? - to "underfed stick figure" - some women have high metabolisms, you know - confirm my belief that these people are very jealous, despite what they say. there's no need to be so vitriolic if you are happy with your lot in life. i hope my fellow thin women [yes, we have small breasts but we are woman nonetheless] refrain from making unkind comments about hips that may be large, stomachs that may sag and mammary glands that may droop. but at the end of the day shouldn't we all care about other, more important things than this crap? i'm off to eat...

What MonkeyMix said.

Quote Originally Posted by mklady View Post
    I've never been a skinny girl. I've always had some extra here and there and now everywhere. I'm 5'4" and well over what I should weigh. I would like to be toned. I don't care what the scale says or what size pants I'm in, I just don't want to have this dumb marsupial pouch and back fat. On the other end of the spectrum, I never, ever want my ribs to be protruding through my skin when I breathe. I think a woman looks her best when she is toned and in proportion. I've seen too many skinny girls with fat and flab but because they only wear a size 2 they think they're great. So, I don't think I prefer one over the other, I just think they should be fit and firm but still retain a softness. Clothing also makes a difference in the way a person looks. I get so tired of seeing those "muffin tops" on teenage girls wearing their jeans so tight that they have a roll of fat popping over. That's a no-no. They wouldn't want to see my roll of fat hanging over (nor do I).
    That's exactly how I feel about it!

Quote Originally Posted by lisette View Post
    to answer the first question in the post, i detect a lot of jealousy in the mean-spirited, spiteful comments about thin/skinny/call-it-what-you-want women. remarks such as "body like a boy" - why? does having large breasts alone define you as a woman? - to "underfed stick figure" - some women have high metabolisms, you know - confirm my belief that these people are very jealous, despite what they say. there's no need to be so vitriolic if you are happy with your lot in life. i hope my fellow thin women [yes, we have small breasts but we are woman nonetheless] refrain from making unkind comments about hips that may be large, stomachs that may sag and mammary glands that may droop. but at the end of the day shouldn't we all care about other, more important things than this crap? i'm off to eat...
    WTF?? There is nothing mean-spirited about the truth: bodies like Twiggy do look like boys and underfed sticks. Duh!! So, no, sweetie, we ain't jealous. We just know what we like. Just cuz YOU like something different don't mean we're mean or spiteful.

^^ Yeah, I've got Kathy Griffin to thank for that! I'm glad you appreciate it, MonkeyMix. And, speaking of Griffins, your signature is a damn trip!

Quote Originally Posted by lisette View Post
    This thread is too long to look for it, but I stated earlier, boobs don't equal curves to me. I prefer curvy (not fat or flabby) bodies but I actually like small to average sized boobs. Big boobs are okay if they are natural...but they often tend to be overly saggy and *hang* to much for my taste.

Sorry if you find it offensive, but a very thin body with tiny hips does look boyish. And thin straight up and down arms and legs that are close to the same in diameter all the way down (i.e. stick like) do make one look like they could be underfed. It's not hateful at all, it's just a fact.

Before you spew your meal everywhere in anger let me say that I do find some thin women attractive. The ones who come by it naturally without starving themselves. But as I've learned from my really thin friends, even they have their low weight days/weeks/months where they don't look their best, just as I and the majority of women who are average weight or above have what we call our *fat days*. And after one such of those thin friends of mine (who could not afford to lose more than a couple pounds) first came back to work after a week and a half long bout with a bad stomach virus, it almost hurt to look at her. She looked like a concentration camp victim, which she fully acknowledged!

It sounds like you get a lot of flack from people who may be jealous of your high metabolism! Hey, I'm jealous of high metabolisms too, but I'm not jealous of their bodies, if they're also very thin people with little curves. Sorry. In a perfect world I would be able to eat nonstop and keep Salma Hayek's or Kate Winslet's figure (the one she has now, unless she's dropped those 3 dress sizes that I read in one of these threads she talked about doing). Sorry. I'm sure you don't lack for admiration from the plenty of folks out there who like very thin women.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information