Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Plum Fairy dancer doesn’t want apology from critic who called her fat

That's very magnanimous of her...me, I'd want his balls on a plate.

I trained to be a dance for years. Loved the discipline and rigour, did not love the aesthetics required. I was thin but my body wasn't quite right. A lot of girls, though thin, didn't have the right body despite the talent. Many girls turned to eating disorders thinking they could change their bodies that way. It didn't work.

Balanchine created this relatively new aesthetic to Ballet and it has been embraced by the art form. The gift of dance is not enough. Certain physical characteristics that are actually tied to the body type are required and in addition to that, a thin frame.

The elite schools and companies are not going to change what they are looking for.

Many who realise their bodies are not going to let them be ballerinas turn to modern or contemporary dance, or teaching etc. There are other kinds of dance careers.

Well, since she's got a career, I guess she has a thin enough frame.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Well, since she's got a career, I guess she has a thin enough frame.
    She says it herself, it's her body type. Not about thinness. He called her fat but it's really just her body. It's not made to be a certain way. It seems she realised that after her battle with anorexia.

I had a bitch tell me when i was four years old that I wouldn't be able to dance because I would be "too fat" when I grew up. i.e., referring to my short curvy figure type. There was no fucking call for that at that age.

For 4 years I was denied leading roles because I had to "make way" for girls who might actually become "real" dancers, even though I was better than them.

That is, until I told my dad what the bitch said, then I was allowed to quit and started doing gymnastics instead.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wanted desperately to take ballet lessons when I was a kid. When you read what really goes on in the dance world, it makes me glad I didn't. I don't have a thin body type either; I'm pretty average but my chocolate consumption would destroy any "Sugar Plum Fairy" dreams. I love watching it though.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It's not her body, it's that face that is the problem. Body wise,she's fine and I would tell that journalist to STFU.
    "You can't date your fuck buddy."

She's beautiful, glad she stood up for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I had a bitch tell me when i was four years old that I wouldn't be able to dance because I would be "too fat" when I grew up. i.e., referring to my short curvy figure type. There was no fucking call for that at that age.

For 4 years I was denied leading roles because I had to "make way" for girls who might actually become "real" dancers, even though I was better than them.

That is, until I told my dad what the bitch said, then I was allowed to quit and started doing gymnastics instead.

i heard pretty much the same story from a friend of mine. that is such a horrible thing to say to a kid. i hope you didn't take it to heart. such a comment at such a formative age just screams "future eating disorder".
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im always jealous of ballerina's calves

Me too^^^^

(o/t - same subject) I want to see Black Swan so bad!
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

I don't see much difference in her size from 1995 to now, either. Maybe the tutu is covering up a lot, but she's apparently talented enough to score a choice spot in The Nutcracker and is thin enough to dance en pointe for the performance.

Why doesn't the idiot critic try to criticise, dunno, the actual dancing technique or the interpretation?
    Was she good? Yes? Then who the hell cares if she looks heavier than the average ballet dancers? I'd rather have a show in which the dancer is good and in character, than one in which the dancer is stick thin and looks "OMG!SO perfect for today's aesthetics in ballet", but isn't believable as the character or technically good.
    What makes me laugh is that, to defend himself, the writer points out that he also criticized the man's weight. Well, that's a double fail for me!
    While it is true that complaining only about the woman being criticised is applying double standards, that sounds like a way to counter attack and detract the attention from his stupid article, I think.
    Also... maybe the fans raged because they knew that Ringer has had an eating disorder? I mean, what sort of moron makes that kind of comment to a person that recovered from an ED?

Just to add in my ballet horror story: when I was little, I was in ballet class. I loved it. I remember the recitals and I think we even have the old costumes tucked away in storage at home. I had been with my teacher since 2 until I was about 7, when she moved away and another ballet teacher took her place. The new ballet teacher took my mom aside, with me there, and said I was too fat to be in her class. I can remember just standing there, with my head down looking at my ballet shoes, wanting to cry. I mean, I was a fat kid but I wasn't huge. To be really honest, it really was a painful memory that got drudged up when I went to therapy for my eating problems. I had completely repressed it until I was forced to think about it. She's in a place in her life where she can be secure with herself and not internalize it, but a lot of young girls can really take shit like this to heart.

^ I'm so sorry Penny Lane! What a cunt! I hate people like these; they have no idea what they can damage with such fucking unneeded comments. Did you ever confronted her later with that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information