Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree413Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

Thanks Palta. I’m easing into Keto, which just appears to be another low/no carbs/sugar diet which has been very good for me in the past. I am continuing to work on me.
    I used to love my rowing machine, I need to get back into it. I’d like to try some kind of yoga/stretching to help with suppleness but haven’t found anyone I like yet.
    palta, czb and sputnik like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

^hope it works for you!

i love to combine exercising and self care, when i have the time of course. i get home, take a nice shower, paint my nails, cuddle in the sofa with the cat, have a cup of coffee, small things like that that comfort me besides food. oh... take a nap! that's on the weekend obviously
    sputnik and Novice like this.

This weekend we are going to try to head to the beach. So, my version of keto has been to have a can of solid tuna for breakfast. My intake of complex carbs is already pretty low. I used to LOVE bread and pasta, and now it just is not doing it for me.

I also wanted to mention that alcohol has something like 7 calories per gram, making it only second to fat (9 calories) in terms of calorie denseness. And it gets metabolized first, ahead of carbs and protein, meaning that the carbs you take in are even less likely to be burned and will instead be turned into blood glucose and then fat.

^It's like talking to a nurse about smoking. I know, that's not the problem...
    sputnik and fgg like this.

Mrs. D, I came across this post on a keto reddit forum, it might be a good point of reference for plateaus and keto expectations in general.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo4u2/c...m_her_assumed/

If I was younger with more time and not an age where I'm probably knocking on the door of menopause already I think I wouldn't be as caught up with the numbers.

In my mind I'm gonna be stuck with this extra weight if I don't get it off before then.
    fgg likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Ugh day 3 & my head is as fuzzy as hell!

On the plus side, I’m not missing sweets and have been not eating in the evenings (my nemesis).
    Down 1/2lb hahahahahaha
    palta likes this.

Well done, Nov! I think the cravings are the hardest to overcome.

Mrs. D, I think you're doing everything right, and you'll come through this plateau eventually. I don't know if you've ever heard of the set-point theory for weight, I think it explains a lot: basically our bodies have a set point, a weight range it's gotten used to/comfortable at and will resist any attempt to change. But eventually, it lets go if you keep the new habits.

I also follow a keto reddit for ladies over 50 and some of them say they're lucky to lose 2-4 lbs a month. So progress might be slower after menopause, but it still works.

Nov inspired me to start up again. I'm on day 3 of keto, no drinking. I know it's all water weight but I've lost 4 lbs. I'm just happy not to get those headaches from out-of-wack sodium and other electrolytes.
    palta, czb and Novice like this.

I need to check out that Reddit B! Progress is shit after menopause!!!
    Well done on the 4lbs!

I’m loving the meat/pickle/soft-cheese meals. I was out today so that was harder but not too bad.
    my Head was crap though, light headed & woozy.

Due to hitting early menopause, I put on 13# in 9 months. It freaked me out. I've tried things off and on...none of which worked. I started Intermittent Fasting 2 weeks ago. I am down 2.5 lbs, so that may be working. I haven't gone on Keto either, because I really like my bread and pasta.
    faithanne and palta like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^That's the beauty of IF, you can still eat whatever you want, but your body begins to learn when to stop, and you want the "good" stuff to counteract the "bad".
    Be excellent to each other.

czb

i need to get back on IF. i am a mess.

faithanne, what is your daily fasting period? how many days a week?

I'm much more flexible with it now than when I was actively losing, but most days I eat from around midday to 4-5pm at the latest. Maybe one day a week I'll have dinner later in the evening, but if I plan ahead I start eating later so my window rarely goes beyond 8 hours.

I used to eat breakfast as soon as I woke up, and was one of those people that couldn't function until I'd eaten. Nowadays I'm the opposite, I'm far more active before I eat and do all my exercise while I'm fasting.
    czb and palta like this.
    Be excellent to each other.

czb

that doesn't sound so bad. i read about people who fast until 4 or even later. i can probably do that one day a year, and it's called Yom Kippur.
    palta likes this.

i generally do 8 hour windows about 3 times a week. if i'm organised i can push it to 4. my nutritionist said not to do it every day anyway. something about keeping your metabolism guessing and not doing the same thing every day.
    these days it's not really happening but now that i'm done traveling for a bit and have no more house guests, i don't have any excuse. luckily i've been pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well done, Nov! I think the cravings are the hardest to overcome.

Mrs. D, I think you're doing everything right, and you'll come through this plateau eventually. I don't know if you've ever heard of the set-point theory for weight, I think it explains a lot: basically our bodies have a set point, a weight range it's gotten used to/comfortable at and will resist any attempt to change. But eventually, it lets go if you keep the new habits.

I also follow a keto reddit for ladies over 50 and some of them say they're lucky to lose 2-4 lbs a month. So progress might be slower after menopause, but it still works.

Nov inspired me to start up again. I'm on day 3 of keto, no drinking. I know it's all water weight but I've lost 4 lbs. I'm just happy not to get those headaches from out-of-wack sodium and other electrolytes.
    that makes so much sense.
    every time i've tried to lose weight in the last 3 years or so it's been pretty short lived and hard to maintain. it's taken the last 6 months of the pandemic for me to make it a habit to eat healthy at home every single day and to do consistent exercise every single day (even if just 20-30 minutes of pilates/yoga), for weight loss to finally come more naturally. basically this is a lot like the last 3 years of my life as a student where even if i partied sometimes, i also made the most of my student yoga membership which meant i could go to as many hot yoga classes as i wanted as long as it was during off peak hours. i was in great shape and my body was 'naturally' at a smaller size than what my body was 'naturally' at before the pandemic. living in new york is the only other time in my life i was at my lowest without even really trying but that's because you never stop walking.
    Last edited by sputnik; June 22nd, 2021 at 10:26 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information