Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree364Likes

Thread: The Keto Diet

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    If I'm heading to the bathroom in the middle of the night I'll detour to the kitchen and get a piece of cheese or an olive, pickle, or even some chips.
    I feel you, I do the same

I started Keto right after the pandemic started (May 2020) and lost 20 lbs in 5 months, so averaged about 1 lb a week. I wasn't exercising, but since I was working from home, I was doing a lot of physical projects. I never felt better. My legs didn't ache when I stood up after sitting for a while, I slept a lot better, I had more energy. I was consuming between 1200-1300 calories a day and never felt hungry. Of course, then the holidays came...Thanksgiving and Christmas totally effed me up . I've gained 12 back and I'm feeling it. I'm going to restart it w/in the next couple of weeks. I'm also fortunate the ocean/boardwalk is a couple of miles away so I can start walking too.
    palta and fgg like this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I'm 14.5# down. It's been exactly 54 days. So pandemic weight is gone. Now I'm really just getting back on the road to the loss I wanted to achieve. Still got a ways.

I walk a lot during the day at work, taking the stairs when I can. And go for 2 mile walks with Dark Jr at least a couple times a week.

And for the last few weekends, have spent anywhere from 5-7 hours outside working in the yard. So I guess that would qualify as heavy activity. I'm completely worn out after two days in a row of this. I was outside all day yesterday and today.
    czb, faithanne, palta and 3 others like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Annoyed as fuck.

After 17# down two shitty things have happened. I hit a plateau for 11 days. Then in 24 hours (from thurs-friday morning) I gained 3#. No dietary lapses whatosever.

The only things I can pinpoint that are different is about 7 days ago I started back doing some exercises. But not EVEN anything major. Only a few minutes nightly of yoga/pilates type moves including doing a plank "challenge" (my own version, and have gotten my time up on those) of sorts. A bit of soreness but nothing major and definitely nothing compared to in the weight lifting days.

Oh, and my sleep has sort of sucked off and on this week. It also rained all week and that is another reason I've probably been sluggish every morning.

This morning I was down 1# of that three. But this is ridiculous. I am getting my hormones checked soon when I see the female doc in a couple weeks. But more determined than ever to get this goddamned extra weight off because in my mind if I don't do it before menopause hits I'm going to be doomed to fatassery forever. And my female's family history of osteoarthritis/osteoporosis I do NOT need to be overweight if I want to have any kind of active life after menopause that doesn't require a cane to get around.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I used to read the keto reddit a lot, and this was super common: any kind of exercise will sort of cause your body to hold on to a little weight. It seemed to me that it's due to the body wanting to repair itself and it hangs onto water and anything else it can too. But it's temporary and lots of people report changes in body composition instead of lbs lost. Like they'll lose inches or clothes fit them noticeably different, all while the scale won't budge. You're right on about sleep. If you aren't sleeping well it commonly stalls weight loss. (Imo it acts like stress, which increases cortisol and cortisol makes it extra hard to lose.)

And you probably know this, but the closer you are to your goal weight, the harder and slower you lose. Everyone just gets discouraged when the number on the scale stops falling.

That subreddit also defined a "true" plateau as lasting 6 weeks or longer, because of normal bodily fluctuations. So many people got pissed at being told to stop freaking out, keep at it and wait it out. Nobody wants to hear that!
    Novice and fgg like this.

Six weeks!? That's practically a backslide. This better not last 6 weeks.

This yoga and planking is nowhere near the sheer workout that spending 7-8 hours on a hot weekend day in my yard for weeks in a row was. And I was dropping weight great then. I'm about to say fuck the "exercise" and go back to the yard work.

I think that I need to have another go at this (digs out info from B) I have put on so much weight in the last 2 months that it makes my gain over the last 2 years embarassingly high.

HELP!!!?!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Yeah it was that group's standard response and I get where they're coming from, it was a steady stream of people with a tone of looking for a quick fix, and "magically tell me over the internet what's going on with my body." But on the other hand, when you're doing something new/restrictive you want to see some results or it feels like you're wasting your effort.

Try different things and do whatever works for you. Go back to the yardwork and see what happens. Get your hormones checked if you're concerned, can't hurt to know.

*eta:Nov, I'm sorry to say I'm in the same boat as you, lol! My all or nothing mindset is going to be the end of me. Knowing all this shit isn't worth much if I don't put it to use, and I definitely haven't been motivated since last year. Sadly, I'm in the worst shape ever!
    Novice likes this.

Same, B Same!
    Funny isn't it by body is in the worst shape but my head is close to being at its best. Thats why I'm going to try get a good start while I can.

Me too, I need to start making an effort again. I need to stop drinking, as that's just sabotage.

I keep thinking back to my most effective approaches were when I made sure I had veggies and salads. I just felt so much better and it's a much less psychologically difficult to focus on eating a certain thing as opposed to cutting other things out. Which I still need to get rid of processed carbs but where I put my focus makes a difference.
    Novice likes this.

I think that I have an addiction to sugar (as well as food). I dare not drink alcohol as I don't want to add that into the mix also.
    The best I ever did was when I saw a diet doctor & had (probably amphetamine) support. I was focused (ADHD!!!) and sucessful.
    Maybe I need to make a new appointment?
    Beeyotch and MohandasKGanja like this.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? It's not for everyone but it worked for me, I lost 20kg and even though I put on about 5 during Covid, I just tightened up my IF window and I'm back on track.
    Novice and palta like this.
    Be excellent to each other.

I'm trying not to get discouraged (and I won't) but in my mind there's something wrong when I'm doing what I need to be doing and the results are going from steadily productive all the way to a halt (or worse a gain). A couple of weeks I can see. That, to me is a plateau. Maybe even 3-4 weeks. But 6 weeks plus? That's a sign of a problem somewhere.

So now I've got 2 more to lose to get down to be back to what I was at the beginning of this mini plateau (I'm still calling it a plateau even though it has been almost 2 weeks now and not 6). This is probably me getting old and menopausal. Which is all the more reason I need to keep going.

My back hurts today. Not from doing anything, mind you. Merely from sleeping wrong.

I have done a bit of IF with this in the past. Have not really been doing that this time. Might have to add this back.

^^^^
    maybe it would help to be less focused on tracking your weight? or only weighing yourself once every month or two? also agree with bee that you should also get your hormones checked if you're worried something might be up. at least that way you'll know. i have a family history of thyroid issues so i always ask them to check that when i get blood work.
    i think the only reason i've been able to stick with my routine and my eating the past 6 months or so is that this time i'm not weighing myself but instead going by how i feel and how my clothes fit, and only getting weighed when i see my nutritionist or doctor. that way i can tell if i'm losing but it's more long term and i'm not fixating on small gains or temporary setbacks. i also really enjoy my daily pilates/yoga workouts. i do melissa wood health, lots of planking and low impact moves where you don't think you're doing much and then holy shit you feel it all over your body. i also like her philosophy that consistency is way more important than killing yourself working out (i do about 30 minutes a day most days as a baseline, and more on days i have time to do a longer video or if i go hiking or something on the weekend.
    totally agree that yard work is killer though. spent about 5 hours out there on saturday and i was dripping in sweat after.
    Last edited by sputnik; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
    palta likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I think that I have an addiction to sugar (as well as food). I dare not drink alcohol as I don't want to add that into the mix also.
    The best I ever did was when I saw a diet doctor & had (probably amphetamine) support. I was focused (ADHD!!!) and sucessful.
    Maybe I need to make a new appointment?
    i have a food addiction too sugar, bread, you name it. i can't stop until the bag is empty, the plate is clean. it's awful and afterwards i feel so bad about myself.
    so i've been working on self control a lot. i can't do diets and restrictions, it makes me miserable. i try to avoid trigger foods, and if that is not possible i try to be mindful of what i eat, take smaller portions, combine it with something else. if i'm not hungry i just don't eat, it doesn't matter if it's dinner time.

i started running a year and a half ago and it's been great for me. the first two weeks are the worst but then you start producing those amazing chemicals in your brain. it becomes addictive and you end up relaxed-tired instead of exhausted-tired. it also has been great for my head, is almost like meditating for me. i do it daily because it makes me feel good, even if sometimes is hard work. i *need* it lol

maybe is not running for you, it could be swimming, yoga, biking, playing some sport with friends. but exercise does make you feel better.
    also, it doesn't take a lot of time, it is like an hour for me and i incorporated it into my daily routine. i think that's key to make it work and being consistent.

Thread Information