Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The size 12 star of TV show who's 'too fat' for top model agency

Default The size 12 star of TV show who's 'too fat' for top model agency

The size 12 star of TV show who's 'too fat' for top model agency

Jen Hunter is 5ft 11 and a size 12

She won the hearts of the British public and put size-zero models to shame with her modest curves.

But despite becoming the star of the television series Make Me A Supermodel, Jen Hunter, 24, has been forced out of her modelling contract - for being too large.
    The size 12 blonde was booked by a fashion agency after impressing voters for refusing to diet when judges in the Channel Five series said she was fat.
    Cape London Model Management helped secure Miss Hunter work as the face of mobile phone giant Nokia and cosmetics company Avon.
    But she has faced repeated knock-backs at catwalk castings. Yesterday, the mother-of-one from Wigan, Lancs., said she was quitting the agency to join one for larger-sized women - despite being below average size.
    The decision comes as the mainstream fashion industry comes under increasing pressure to ban size-zero models.
    Miss Hunter, who is 5ft 11in and weighs 11 stone, said: "I'm grateful to the Cape Model agency for taking me on when other agencies wouldn't. They secured me some great contracts.
    "However, they are a mainstream agency and when I went into castings I saw very few size 12 models and came up against the same old prejudice.
    "I just didn't feel comfortable so I decided to change to Excel Models which is a plus size agency."
    Miss Hunter, a divorcee, was shocked by judges, including model Rachel Hunter, who described her as "fat, lazy and greedy" while competing in the 2006 reality show.
    Jen won the Channel 5 competition but was not offered a contract with Select Model Management

But although she was urged to lose weight, Miss Hunter refused, saying she would not "hang her head in shame" and drop three sizes just for the fashion industry. Despite being voted the leading female by the public, the stunning barmaid was not given a contract by chosen agency Select, who instead booked sub-zero Marianne Berglund - known as the "walking skeleton".
    Cape Management - a mainstream agency - then stepped in to offer Miss Hunter work - the first size 12 on their books. Scroll down for more...

Jen will now model for a plus-size company

But her decision to quit to seek employment with plus-size agencies highlights the need for a radical shake-up in the fashion industry.
    Despite increasing pressure to ban size-zero models for creating a bad impression for younger women, the average model size is still a size six to eight. Scroll down for more...

Jen Hunter refused to be slim for TV judges

In contrast, the average size of the UK woman is between 14 to 16.
    Although models have always been thinner than average, 25 years ago the size difference was eight per cent.
    It is now 23 per cent.
    The need for models to conform to the skeleton look has resulted in two deaths in the past year.
    Both Ana Carolina Reston, 21, of Brazil, and Luisel Ramos, 23, of Uruguay, died of starvation.
    Last week, an inquiry by British Fashion Council concluded that models aged under 16 should be banned from the catwalk.
    But the report failed to demand a ban on size-zero models, and instead said all models should be medically examined to make sure they are fit and healthy.
    A spokeswoman for eating disorder charity Beat said: "We are very sad to hear that Jen Hunter feels she can't succeed in the mainstream fashion industry.
    "This shows that there is still a lot of work to be done. "It is only through the fashion industry acting as a whole, from designer to retailer, that changes will be made."

The size 12 star of TV show who's 'too fat' for top model agency | the Daily Mail

I can't BELIEVE what Rachel Hunter said about her. What a bitchy old moo!

You'd think Rachel Hunter would just be so grateful that she and her average, barely pretty face even became a model and would extend a bit of grace.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I think she's pretty. She could stand to have her teeth fixed but her 2nd and 4th pictures look nice.

She's lovely! That floral dress fits her weird on top and I'm not a fan of the copper bathing suit, but she has a great face and figure.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

She is not fat, her body is nice.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Hit By Ban Bus!

She reminds me of Tuesday Weld, body face and all. And that's a very good thing.

she's not fat but she doesn't have the looks - face or body wise - to be a model. and let's face it, high fashion models have always been very lean and thin. maybe not today's apalling anorexic standards but come on, this chick wouldn't have had a chance at high fashion work in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s either... except for cheap catalogs or ads or something. she has shapeless calves and not a lot of muscle tone and her face is average. pretty, but i see prettier girls every day walking around and they're not models either.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's not even the fact she isn't a size 0 or 3, she just doesn't have the looks, or necessarily a decent body shape to pull it off.

She's too good to be a model anyways

Hope she doesn't lose weight, she is hot!

This is the er..woman Select picked instead....hmmm

Gold Member

She's lovely, with a lovely figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    She's too good to be a model anyways

Hope she doesn't lose weight, she is hot!

This is the er..woman Select picked instead....hmmm

Holy shit I remember that other "model". I hope the company that hired that skeleton went out of business for insulting advertisements; most women would not want a body like that.

Good for Jen Hunter for not losing weight. She reminds me of many female clients at my job, curvy but not fat by any standards.

that swimsuit is horrible on both models. I'm not being prejudice but judging by those photos only (as i have nothing else to go by) she doesn't photograph all that well, her body doesn't look good because she is still sucking in her tummy in all the shots which makes her look stiff and uncomfortable and if she were serious about modelling she should get her teeth fixed. Now i feel nasty because im sure she is a really nice girl. And that "other" model is scary.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

She has a lovely figure for a normal woman, but probably is too pear-shaped for normal modeling. She could probably do well with a Sears/JCPenney type catalogue, but I'm not surprised she felt the pressure from others to lose weight. Personally, I don't find her attractive in the face, though, thats my main obstacle to taking her seriously as a model. But Rachel Hunter is a dog, too.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

her torso is rather long which makes her legs look fatter than what they probably are. but she doesn't look fat overall i'd say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information