Thread: Lollipop ladies

Default Lollipop ladies

Celebs are losing weight, but they're getting top-heavy

BY GINA SALAMONE

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 4:00 AM

Star Jones hopes tomorrow's premiere of her new Court TV show will restore her once-earnest image. But her small-screen comeback marks the return of another look - that of the "Lollipop Lady" that Calista Flockhart epitomized a decade ago.

Jones has dropped so much weight since her gastric-bypass surgery that she has been plagued with this unsightly syndrome. Her vast, lolling head perched upon a stick-thin body resembles the shape of a lollipop.

When "Ally McBeal" debuted in 1997, Flockhart became the poster woman for the affliction. Now, with superskinny celebrities like Victoria Beckham and Angelina Jolie dominating the scene, other stars are increasingly falling victim to the same fate.

"Hollywood has this idea ... that thinner is better," notes Jillian Villafane, who does makeup for news anchors. "And it's been taken to such an extreme. They like to be that thin because they're on television."

But thin doesn't always mean attractive. The vast-headed vision can appear unnatural. "It's so much work to get them to look normal," Villafane says. "For me, it's a challenge, because there's just so much contouring and blending that's involved."

The problem can be more than cosmetic. New York nutritionist Keri Glassman says the lollipop look is normally not healthy. "Very often, people become disproportionate when they've lost too much weight for their frame," she says.

Unfortunately, the bobblehead epidemic may soon spread even further. "As cosmetic surgery becomes more prevalent and actresses fear aging more and more, they're prone to getting implants everywhere, from cheekbones to chins and jawbones," says beauty expert Rachel Weingarten. "That can leave these tiny actresses' heads looking even bigger and more freakish."

Since her gastric bypass surgery, Star Jones' bony body has become too small for her sizable head. But Star's not the only celebrity to fall victim to the ''Lollipop Lady'' phenomenon ...
    /Matthew Jordan Smith

Christina Ricci's round face fit better on her once equally curvy frame.
    /Richard Corkery

Don't tilt your skull too much, Victoria Beckham. You may topple under the weight.
    /Frazer Harrison

Former 'Ally McBeal' star Calista Flockhart launched the bobblehead trend in Hollywood when she arrived at the Primetime Emmy Awards in 1998, looking superskinny on every part of her body but her head.

At the New York premiere of 'A Mighty Heart,' Angelina Jolie's head was most mighty. Her hefty hairdo isn't helping.
    /Michael Caulfield

Being pregnant hasn't done much to deemphasize Nicole Richie's unbalanced bod.
    /Richard Corkery

Hold that pose, Renee Zellweger. Your pin-straight figure makes the perfect lollipop stick. Just be careful no one mistakes your head for a piece of candy.
    /Peter Kramer

Of all the attention focused on Paris Hilton, her huge head commands the most.
    /Branimir Kvartuc
    Source: Celebs are losing weight, but they're getting top-heavy
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

I remember when Calista was like that! Is she still so tiny now?

Paris looks about the least skeletal

Ick horrid look

I don't think Star is all that super skinny, she just has an extra massive head.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Umm..what? Paris's head is proportionate...

Christina's body looks fine; losing some of her weight actually helped bring out her bone structure and less of the roundness. She definitely has a ways to go before she becomes a 'lollipop lady.'

Renee Zellweger doesn't have a large disproportionate head either (at least in this pic) there are lines on the dress to give the illusion of no hips (which looks like crap to me) but other than that, I do not see an enormous head.

Angelina, Nicole, Calista Flockhart and Victoria/Posh, however, are a different story.

Eli

The lollipop lady at the local school is a bitch; she waits for me then walks onto the middle of the road.
    Oh wait, wrong lollipop.

I think that's a great picture of Christina actually. She doesn't even look that thin - look at her arms - she's just forcing her shoulders back and standing very erect, which creates a leaner look. Calista doesn't really look like that anymore; she's slim, but looks decent now I think.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I don't think Star is all that super skinny, she just has an extra massive head.
    Those big, bulging eyes don't make it look any smaller.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow, Flockhart makes Richie look almost human.

Renee is just gross, can't stand her.

Calista never admit to having anorexia or bulimia. I really found that hard to believe. She lost an x amount of weight from season 1 of Ally.
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

^^ Yeah, something had to be up. She did sort of admit to being unhealthily obsessed with exercise, but she couldn't have been eating much then either.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I have a lollipop head and I'm not even skinny, I just have a big head. It sucks. I'm like an overweight lollipop.

Thread Information