Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aretha Franklin diets in a bid to lose weight before her wedding

Default Aretha Franklin diets in a bid to lose weight before her wedding

Soul great Aretha Franklin is on a crash diet in a bid to lose weight before her wedding next month. The singer has signed up with Jenny Craig Diet and is limiting herself to 1,750 calories-a-day in an effort to slim down.

Franklin says, "I'm at 1,750 calories a day and I'm starving. You just have to get used to portions and changing your lifestyle."

The heavyweight diva, who will wed long-term boyfriend Willie Wilkerson Jr. next month, insists she knows the Jenny Craig diet works - because she has seen amazing results in the past.

She tells Sister 2 Sister magazine, "I lost 23 or 24 pounds to begin with, but it's kind of a strain when you get to 23 or 24 pounds. That's why I got off of it.

"It's a strain because you're eating the Jenny Craig-type meals, which are very good. But you can only eat them for so long before you want some barbecue ribs or some pigs feet. Once you get off that Jenny Craig thing and you start eating what you've been eating, it's all over."
    05/31/2007

Source: Aretha Franklin Chooses Celebrity Diet To Lose Weight - Starpulse News Blog

Photo source: CRUNK + DISORDERLY // SHOULDN'T YOU BE WORKING?
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Pig's feet? WTF I feel ill.

I think she'd have needed to start earlier than a mere month before her wedding. There's not too much one can do in a month.

She thinks 1,750 calories per day is starvation? I haven't eaten that many calories in a day, much less every day, in my entire life.

I wish her well, but I'm not optimistic.

I love her dearly, but lawd-that seems high calorie to LOSE on. I wish she was a bit trimmer-look what happened to Luther!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I know. Both HUGE talents in every sense of the word, lol.

If you're used to eating a rack of ribs at one setting, I can see how 1750/day is low. She needs something to take her mind off food. Also, if you're a big person 1750 is low. If you're a muscular person 1750 is low. I'm mid 30's and not even tall, but if I exercise daily I could lose weight on 1750 cals. I hope she does it too, but I agree it's not sounding very promising. She's also probably surrounded by more enablers than motivators.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    She thinks 1,750 calories per day is starvation? I haven't eaten that many calories in a day, much less every day, in my entire life.

I wish her well, but I'm not optimistic.
    r u serious? women generally need 17-2000 cals/day. thats totally normal. maybe you have a smaller appetite? i dunno. anywayz, she probably eats 5000 a day so for her its starvation

She needs more than a month!

I have to say being starving is never good, I know if I am hungry I am really grumpy and just want to eat a pack of biscuits.

I don't think 1,750 is high

A*O

She's still thinking like a fatty and thinks this 'starvation' is only temporary until she can get back on the ribs and fries again. Losing weight and keeping it off is a whole and permanent lifestyle change. She can NEVER go back to her old eating habits. Given her size I don't think losing 23lbs is a huge achievement to be honest (sorry, but it's true). Of course it's better than nothing but she's got to change her mindset. Successful weightloss is all in your head, not your stomach.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

In those photos she looks a lot better than we've seen her in the past. Well that is the trouble with the Jenny Craig type diets, you don't really learn anything, you just eat what they give you. It's learning to make the choices on your own afterwards that can send you right back to fatville. I don't imagine that Kirstie Alley will keep the weight off, and she never really got down to a slim size. I don't think she's at her normal weight yet, do you?

I agree with those who said 1,750 is not all that high to eat in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    r u serious? women generally need 17-2000 cals/day. thats totally normal. maybe you have a smaller appetite? i dunno. anywayz, she probably eats 5000 a day so for her its starvation
    Yes, for me it is. As a fairly small woman with a small frame, I have to watch what I eat. Unlike someone tall, even an extra 5 lbs shows on me. I splurge occasionally, but I generally don't go over 1,200-1,500 calories. I'd be big as a house if I did.

A*O

Ditto. If I go much over even 1000cals per day the weight creeps back on. I can gain 5lbs just thinking about a pizza and fries LOL. And yes, I exercise and yes, I know about healthy eating. It's just an ultra-efficient metabolism. My body uses the bare minimum cals to function and converts every damn spare one into fat. If we were all stranded on a desert island with no food I'd be the last one standing. Yay!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Agree it's a lifestyle thing complete with exercise, the 'blowback' from this starvation diet is not gonna be pretty to watch on Miss Franklin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information