Thread: Kate Winslet slams skinny celebs

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Kate Winslet slams skinny celebs

Winslet's anorexic warning
    05/11/2006 9:30:00 AM

(BANG) - Kate Winslet has slammed thin celebrities for "breeding a new generation of anorexics".

The 'Little Children' actress, who is famed for her curves, says skinny famous women are having a negative effect on young girls' body perceptions.

She said: "Well done everyone! Well done! Really clever of you to breed a whole new generation of anorexics.

"You're not educating these young women about the world, about poverty, about the environment or anything that's interesting. You're educating them about what lip gloss to wear - brilliant!"

The 31-year-old star has also hit out at the current trend for size 00 models.

Kate fumed: "The majority of the clothes in these runway shows are being worn by people who don't have any flesh on their bones. What the hell is going on? It makes me so mad."

source:
    http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

yes some celebs are too skinny, some are medium sized and some are too fat pretty much the same deal in the "real world". She (and many others) need to stop trying to pass the blame of eating disorders off onto others. If she wants to play the blame game has she ever considered that her own comments make naturally thin people feel insecure about their bodies. Her and Scarlett Johanssen both annoy me with their constant reminders of what a womans body should look like.

^I agree with how annoying it is when her and Scarlett make these comments, but I'm not as offended by Kate's comment because she's referring to how wrong it is to discuss body image full stop and i agree. All these magazines have alot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    ^I agree with how annoying it is when her and Scarlett make these comments, but I'm not as offended by Kate's comment because she's referring to how wrong it is to discuss body image full stop and i agree. All these magazines have alot to answer for.
    Yeah, I see this as more of a commentary against teen magazines and what they choose to cover, than a general complaint about overly skinny actresses and models.

I like Kate Winslet a lot and I think she's a great actress and a cool lady but she always seems to be playing the "I'm just like normal women everywhere " card a bit too much lately. I don't know how to put it really but whenever I read an interview of her, something like this comes up and I think "ok ok, we get it, you're not skinny and you're pround of you body. Good for you" Also, the media doesn't "breed" a new generation of anorexics on it's own. A large part of it starts at home, nobody in a good place in their lives looks at a skinny model in a magazine and decides to stop eating or gets up to throw lunch.

Umm, Kate did the same thing. She had what I consider a normal body in titanic and after that hit she shed all of that.

You know, Kate can shut her pie hole. She gets all kinds of kudos for saying these things but she doesn't exaclty back up her words with her actions, does she? I've seen more than one photo of her looking "thin" or downright "skinny."

well I don't care what you say I think she's awesome and authentic!

^^ for sure yeah totally agree that she is a great actress. Just saying her constant "slamming of skinny celebs" and "im so proud of my womanly curves" is tiresome.

^Agreed. This is so old. Blah.
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Kate fumed: "The majority of the clothes in these runway shows are being worn by people who don't have any flesh on their bones. What the hell is going on? It makes me so mad."

source:
    http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc

This is not new.........
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Thread Information