Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Plum Fairy dancer doesn’t want apology from critic who called her fat

Default Sugar Plum Fairy dancer doesn’t want apology from critic who called her fat

Sugar Plum Fairy doesn’t want apology from critic who called her fat - Yahoo! News

New York City Ballet dancer Jenifer Ringer said Monday that she doesn't want an apology from a New York Times critic who called her fat in a review of "The Nutcracker."

"As a dancer I do put myself out there to be criticized, and my body is part of my art form," she said on NBC's "Today" show. "At the same time, I'm not overweight. I do have, I guess, a more womanly body type than the stereotypical ballerina."

Ringer said different body types should be celebrated in ballet, not criticized.

The dancer suffered from anorexia when she first joined the company. She left the company, recovered, and recently had a baby. Online, writers and fans leaped to her defense, which she said surprised and encouraged her.

"It did make me feel bad about myself, but I really had to tell myself it was one person's opinion out of the 2,000 people that were there last night," she said.

New York Times critic Alastair Macauley wrote in a Nov. 29 review that Ringer, as the Sugar Plum Fairy, "looked as if she'd eaten one sugar plum too many."

He defended himself in a follow-up column, saying that no one expressed outrage when he criticized Ringer's male dance partner for also appearing overweight. "Fat, apparently, is not so much a feminist issue as a sexist one. Sauce for the goose? Scandal. Sauce for the gander? No problem," he wrote, adding that he also has body image issues. "I am severe — but ballet, as dancers know, is more so."

i'd like to see her in a ballet outfit. i'd like to see why the critic called her fat.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

^^
    Hopefully this link will work. Lots of pictures, recent and older ones.

Jenifer Ringer, 'fat' ballerina, responds to 'embarrassing' weight jibe but refuses to demand an apology | Mail Online

She's certainly not fat. She's slender by most standards, but not by ballet's waifish standards. She's 36 or 37 and I bet she probably doesn't give a fat fuck because she's nearing the end of her career and she settled her eating issues awhile ago anyway.

I didn't read the review, just the quote. I guess it could be somewhat legitimate if it referred to the way the person danced, but if she's light on her feet and has plenty of ballon it just seems unnecessary.

It's ballet, it's classical ballet and that's just the way it is. Thanks Balanchine for really bringing this body type to the forefront. *sarcastic*

Ballerinas were once upon a time not so angular but that is not ballet today. It's just not. There are people with natural thinness but many, many dancers constantly fight their bodies be it the weight, the strength, the flexibility etc. Frankly, that's how it is.

Don't like it? Don't be a classical ballet dancer. go into contemporary dance or other dance forms. That's how it is.

SVZ

honestly...i see a very slight difference between her 21 anorexic stage and her currently... you could probably achieve it just with some sculpting makeup.

what the fuck? she looks fine
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

seriously...can someone point out the differences, because i honestly can't see one...

^^ the only difference i see is her arms - they were even skinnier in the old photo. but other than that she looks the same and fine to me. i've never been to a ballet performance, but as long as the people dance nicely and look elegant i really don't care if they're skinny or fat.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

SVZ

but this is like skinny and marginally skinnier!

I thought I saw a picture of her in real clothes and she had some big ol' hips and thighs. They're covered by the tutu in these pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Frankly, that's how it is.

Don't like it? Don't be a classical ballet dancer. go into contemporary dance or other dance forms. That's how it is.
    Maybe the aesthetic needs to change. Anorexia has nothing to do with talent.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

If you compare her with the anorexic/bulimic dancing sticks in most companies, then she's a heifer. She's a beautiful dancer and she is NOT fat by any stretch of the imagination.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yes, I would think that her dancing ability would be the most important thing. She isn't fat and no, I don't think she should change her career because one or two (or a few) narrowminded pricks have it in their head what a ballerina should look like. She's proved you wrong so (to quote an evil bitch) suck a fuck and die in a fire.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    It's ballet, it's classical ballet and that's just the way it is. Thanks Balanchine for really bringing this body type to the forefront. *sarcastic*

Ballerinas were once upon a time not so angular but that is not ballet today. It's just not. There are people with natural thinness but many, many dancers constantly fight their bodies be it the weight, the strength, the flexibility etc. Frankly, that's how it is.

I do hope you're kidding with the attitude of that's how it is so accept it. It is unhealthy to be that thin and promotes eating disorders that kill people. Maybe Rosa Parks should have just given up her seat and learned her place in the world since that's how it is. I love people who fight to make changes, not those who accept the status quo when they know it is not right.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

That's like the fat, beer-drinking football critics who criticize football players for being "lazy". Players who practice 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I always find that kinda ironic.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information