Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 150lb weight loss, Ruby Gettinger says friends have tried to sabotage her

Default After 150lb weight loss, Ruby Gettinger says friends have tried to sabotage her

Savannah, Georgia native Ruby Gettinger is the star of the reality show “Ruby” on the Style Network, now in its second season. Ruby has struggled with her weight all her life, and weighed as much as 715 pounds 10 years ago. She’s is now under 350 pounds, having lost 150 pounds through diet and exercise since the start of her show a year ago. A friendly, open person with a strong network of friends and family, Ruby easily wins people over with her kind personality. Not everyone is rooting for Ruby’s success, however. The 5′9″ redhead said that friends have told her she’s lost enough weight and that one even stooped low enough to send her a box of candy as a present:
    Talk about frenemies. Now that reality TV star Ruby Gettinger is less than 350 pounds (from her highest weight of 716), some so-called friends have told her she doesn’t need to lose any more weight.
    “I’ve had friends say, `You look good right now. You need to stop losing weight now.’ I don’t get it. It’s almost like misery loves company,” said the Savannah, Ga., native in a recent interview.
    In fact, Gettinger says she’s had people send her a basket full of sweets from a candy shop, knowing she’s on a diet.
    Gettinger stars in her own show on the Style Network (8 p.m. EDT Sundays) as she struggles to get healthy.
    When “Ruby” – now in its second season – began filming last year she weighed 500 pounds. She’s now lost 80 inches overall and 30 inches from her waist which Gettinger jokes is a whole person.
    She can walk two miles now and craves healthy foods like fish and vegetables.
    Gettinger says her goal is to be healthy and not to get to a particular weight.
    [From The AP via Huffington Post]
    I was first introduced to Ruby last November, when I covered an interview she had with In Touch. I was moved by her struggle, and by how honest she came across. She said at the time that her goals were to do things that average-size people take for granted, like take a bubble bath, ride a bicycle, and paint her toenails. She’s since been able to experience things that were impossible for her before, like riding a bike and going camping.
    Ruby is on an amazing journey and she doesn’t let detractors get in her way. She told MSN in an interview last year that she tries to surround herself with positive people and not let negativity get her down. “I don’t let negative attitudes and meanness from other people keep me from living my life… I am a girl who loves life and loves people, and I find that in this life there are more good people than bad, and that is who I choose to surround myself with. I want us all to get healthier, but also to live life to the fullest along the way.”
    Ruby hosts what she calls “women’s fat night,” an informal support group that she started with her group of friends. In a clip available on her website, below, you can see that some of her friends are heavy too. Some may be envious that she’s in the spotlight and is changing her life with help from a team of experts. They have a lot of fun together, though, and from the clips I’ve seen of her show it’s hard to tell that there’s any animosity there. It’s sad that this happens between friends, and I’ve had my feelings hurt in similar situations. Sometimes people just can’t accept it when you’re different from what they’ve come to expect.

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » After 150lb weight loss, Ruby Gettinger says friends have tried to sabotage her

I'm not surprised.

Some real asshole saboteurs come out of the woodwork when you lose weight.

She is such a sweet person. I'm rooting for her to lose the weight and keep it off!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

*shakes head* I hate people that sabotage others when they try to change and lead a healthy lifestyle. Drinking, smoking, food, whatever. Misery does love company and those people need to fuck off to douchebag island.

I watch the show. Her friends seem supportive at first, but then they do things like eat fattening food in front of her and enable her cheating.

Sometimes the people in a person who is trying to change's life have a lot invested in that person staying the same. It's very weird but they get threatened when someone gets themselves together. They'd rather see you down because it makes them feel good. I saw this when my brother was trying to quit smoking. His smoker friends did a lot to get him smoking again. He had to ditch one of them who wouldn't respect his request not to smoke around him.

I have started watching the show. Even her best friend Georgia, a nurse(!) kept cooking fattening stuff for her. They do all seem to be eating pizza and heavy Southern food around her all the time. I'd like to know how she lost the initial weight, they have never spoken about that, that is hundreds of pounds before the show started. I hate her ex boyfriend who can't seem to stay away from her, he is so slimy.

I recently started eating healthy and losing weight, and the next person who tells me "You need a cheat day" will get a boot in the face. I cheated my way to over 200 pounds, asshole.

I played games over at a friends house on Sunday and they cooked kabobs on the grill and went sans dessert, and had a veggie tray instead of chips. I went to a friends house today to watch a movie, and she kept saying "I'm gonna see how serious you are" and laughing, offering me Dr. Pepper and shit.

It really shows you which of your friends care about you, especially if you are so big it is a health issue.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I recently started eating healthy and losing weight, and the next person who tells me "You need a cheat day" will get a boot in the face. I cheated my way to over 200 pounds, asshole.

I played games over at a friends house on Sunday and they cooked kabobs on the grill and went sans dessert, and had a veggie tray instead of chips. I went to a friends house today to watch a movie, and she kept saying "I'm gonna see how serious you are" and laughing, offering me Dr. Pepper and shit.

It really shows you which of your friends care about you, especially if you are so big it is a health issue.

that's awesome you are eating healthy and losing weight.

yeah it does show what friends care about you. and which ones just wanted a 'chubby' friend to make them look better and now you are becoming a threat to their egos right? (same goes for bigger friends who don't want you to lose weight and leave them wallowing in their own misery by themselves.)

my mom lost lots of weight and one of her friends doesn't talk to her much anymore because all they used to do was go to buffets together and don't have much in common anymore, and another friend is a total bitch because she is thinner and thinks my mom is full of herself now, which isn't true it's just my mom looks better than her now!

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    Suggesting a cheat day is not necessarily sabotage. A weekly cheat day/meal can keep your metabolism revved up and manage cravings. It can be an effective weight loss tool as long as you don't go overboard and you eat cleanly otherwise.

Awww, I love her. I've only seen this show a few times but you can tell she's a good hearted person. I saw the episode where her ex-boyfriend showed up and talk about an asshole.. I thought he only wanted airtime and he kept talking to her like.. when you lose the weight you'll be so pretty, etc.

I hope she is really successful! I thought her friends seemed really supportive but who knows..
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

I like this show---she seems like a truly nice person. I hated when the old boyfriend came back into the picture....because you knew she was justs heartbroken when he dumped her. She deserved better anyway.

I agree w/many of the posters--there does seem to be some sabotage going on, even w/her very close friends. But kudos for her for keeping at it and losing weight! Go Ruby!

The same people who have ragged on me for being heavy, have also criticized me when I've lost weight. "Now you're TOO skinny.", they'd say. I say fuck 'em, Ruby, and do what you need to do for yourself.

^^ Ain't that the truth!

I ♥♥♥ Ruby!

I love Ruby and I am rooting for her. But her whining sets my teeth on edge. The episode where she went camping was particularly bad. "I can't believe i am actually caaaammpiiing. I am so exxxcciitted." I just wanna hit the mute button. talk woman and quit whining.

^ That doesn't really sound like whining to me but I've never seen her show so I don't know...

I heard her on the radio the other morning and one girl called in crying to say how moved she's been by Ruby's story. She said seeing Ruby has changed her way of thinking (about fat people) and really opened up her eyes to their troubles. She also learned to accept people for who they are, not what they look like. It was a kinda heartfelt...

I'd like to know how she lost the initial couple hundred pounds first...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information