Thread: Kathy Ireland's shocking weight gain and loss

Default Kathy Ireland's shocking weight gain and loss

When I first saw the pic, I thought she was pregnant and the story was about her losing control while pregnant. But she wasn't?! It looks like she gained way more than 25 pounds. I wonder how she managed to stay so under the radar about it too ... I don't remember seeing any pics of her like this.

She looks like Lisa Marie Presley!

Kathy Ireland's Shocking Weight Gain (and Loss)

By Monica Rizzo
    Originally posted Thursday April 02, 2009 11:10 AM EDT

Kathy Ireland Photo by: Courtesy Kathy Ireland; Alison Dyer

As a top model, Kathy Ireland is used to seeing pictures of herself that have been retouched to hide her flaws. But when the former Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover girl saw a photo taken by her son as she baked cookies at the family's Santa Barbara house recently, the raw image took her breath away.

"He said 'Mom, you look pregnant,' " Ireland tells PEOPLE in its latest issue. "I didn't recognize the person I saw. I saw someone who looked overwhelmed, overstressed, overweight, over-everything."

In her latest book, Real Solutions for Busy Moms. Ireland talks about how mothers tend to put everybody else's needs before their own. Case in point: she had put on 25 lbs. without even really realizing it.

"I was not making enough time to take care of me," says Ireland, 46, a mother of three kids ranging in age from 6 to 14 and CEO of Kathy Ireland World Wide, a $1.4 billion design empire. She also runs a mentoring program for single teen mothers.

To get back on track, Ireland enlisted the help of a friend, who happens to be a personal trainer and nutritionist. Thanks to healthier food choices, including cutting down on snacking and desserts, plus three exercise sessions a week, Ireland says she's almost back to where she feels her best.

Does that mean she wants to get back into a bikini (as Valerie Bertinelli recently did on the cover of PEOPLE)?

"No, that's not my goal," says Ireland, who prefers to wear business suits at her job. "I want to be healthy, to be there for my husband and my kids."

For the complete story on how Ireland lost the weight and regained control of her life, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

source

Elite Member

I think the 'after picture' is from years ago. She may have lost the weight, but she looks facially way younger in the second picture.

When was this supposed to have happened? I've seen pix of her of 2008,
    2007 and 2006 and in none of those did she look this heavy. Heavier than
    in her modeling days, sure, but never like in the pic above.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

OK, it looks like she's pregnant in the first picture, not fat.

In the second pic she looks slim for a regular person but not for a supermodel. That's about what my upper body looks like, but I'm trying to lose 10 lbs! You can see the padding of fat on her stomach. I should know...I see it on myself every day! So is that second pic supposed to be some amazing look at how skinny I am now picture?

The only reason I am being so nitpicky is because she is a former supermodel.

I think "this happened" when she needed a way to promote her book. Seems a bit on the BS side.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I think "this happened" when she needed a way to promote her book. Seems a bit on the BS side.

Count me in on this. I feel like this was all manufactured.

That doesn't even look like Kathy Ireland in the first shot.

She was a little porky in 08....for Kathy's norm.

I saw her on Larry Kind, probably a year ago, and while she was sitting down behind the desk, she didn't LOOK fat. Hard to tell.

Unless her business suits are actually moo moos, I don't get how you gain 25 pounds without noticing it every time you get dressed.

Elite Member

^ I can see it. I gained about 20 lbs a few years ago and most of my clothes still fit, they were just pretty tight. I was shocked with how much weight I really gained - I thought it was only like 10 lbs. I'm 5'8" and it's not as noticeable when you're taller especially if it distributes all over. Kathy is probably like 5'10" so I can see it.

^Well, she's also 5'10" in the pic in the first post, that's supposed to prove
    how out of shape she was and in that pic it shows pretty much. Funny thing
    is that it's the ONLY pic in which it shows.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

^ Not saying that this isn't all contrived and a big publicity stunt. I was only making the point that it could be legit because it's possible for some women to put on 20-25 lbs and not realize exactly how much they've gained.

She looks like she just gave birth in the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    ^ I can see it. I gained about 20 lbs a few years ago and most of my clothes still fit, they were just pretty tight. I was shocked with how much weight I really gained - I thought it was only like 10 lbs. I'm 5'8" and it's not as noticeable when you're taller especially if it distributes all over. Kathy is probably like 5'10" so I can see it.
    I'm the same height as you and I can tell when I've put on 5-10 pounds with my clothes!

Thread Information