Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Olbermann calls Hannity's bluff: 1000 bucks for every second of waterboarding

McCain is a lying sack of shit.

Today, the Senate brought the Intelligence Authorization Bill to the floor, which contained a provision from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) establishing one interrogation standard across the government. The bill requires the intelligence community to abide by the same standards as articulated in the Army Field Manual and bans waterboarding.

Just hours ago, the Senate voted in favor of the bill, 51-45.

Earlier today, ThinkProgress noted that Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), a former prisoner of war, has spoken strongly in favor of implementing the Army Field Manual standard. When confronted today with the decision of whether to stick with his conscience or cave to the right wing, McCain chose to ditch his principles and instead vote to preserve waterboarding:

Mr. McCain, a former prisoner of war, has consistently voiced opposition to waterboarding and other methods that critics say is a form torture. But the Republicans, confident of a White House veto, did not mount the challenge. Mr. McCain voted "no" on Wednesday afternoon.

Think Progress Maverick Fails The Test: McCain Votes Against Waterboarding Ban
    Say one thing, do another.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Had a near drowning experience. It lasted not even a minute, but was horrible on both a physical and psychological level. Of course I was much younger. It's hard to describe the 'pain' because people usually think in terms of trauma- such as blows, blood, etc. When you're drowning, your body is forcing you to breathe in at the same time it is forcing your throat to close so water doesn't enter the lungs. When you swallow 'down the wrong tube,' your body makes you cough to dislodge the blockage. But whereas a person drinking a Starbucks can put the cup down, expel the object, and inhale air, a person drowning (or waterboarded) doesn't control the water source, cannot expel the object, cannot inhale air, and when the body "does it's job," it makes it worse because they gasp for air even more, letting more water into their lungs. The exact physical sensation is hard to describe, as is the psychological, but when you quickly realize (1) you can't get out and (2) it's getting exponentially worse by the second, you're certainly aware of mortality and the extreme likelihood of imminent death. It isn't peaceful, that's for sure. Maybe those other people froze to death first, because when I was drowning, I didn't just float there and go to sleep, I was thrashing around to get free.

Maybe you have to experience it to know. I've never had my leg broken, so I can only imagine how it feels. I hope I never find out.

Drowning is no picnic. Hannity will never do it.

I'm in - check, cash, MasterCard or debit card??

Have you ever had liquid go up your nasal passages and into your lungs? I can't even imagine how painful that is, how much it would burn at first and then quickly suffocate you. If you imagine the act of asphyxiation, most people have the good sense to try to save themselves. These people can do nothing but struggle against their restraints. I'mn surprised it hasn't killed more people by heart attack. The fact is that waterboarding also permanently causes damage to your lungs - imagine coughing up water and blood afterwards. It also kills off parts of the brain that are deprived of oxygen for too long. I honestly can't even imagine being waterboarded, I think it would be my worst nightmare. I'd probably be struggling so much that I would hurt myself in every conceivable way in the process.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

It's funny to see people think it's so bad, and that shouldn't be done to others, yet they are cheering Hannity on.
    Kinda weird.

Lurkur, that is horrible. How did it happen, if you don't mind me asking. I am glad you made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    It's funny to see people think it's so bad, and that shouldn't be done to others, yet they are cheering Hannity on.
    Kinda weird.
    There's a reason: sane people have figured out it's bad, this blowhard doesn't think it is and is advocating its continued use because he's an ideological moron. He should have first hand experience to make an informed decision on that.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Something tells me no one really cares if he has an educated opinion on the matter. I just think people hate him enough they want him to go through that sort of torture.

No, i would like him to go through it because he has no idea what it is like, and is advocating its continued use based upon his opinion that it is not torture.

he's making an ignorant assumption based upon an experience he has yet to undergo.

As Olbermann said, put your money where your mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Kinda weird.

Lurkur, that is horrible. How did it happen, if you don't mind me asking. I am glad you made it out alive.
    Very, very typical situation: Kid + pool + pool cover. My story ended up on GR instead of the local news on the neighborhood's latest dead kid! If I hadn't OF made it, I'd never OF met y'all bitches here.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, i would like him to go through it because he has no idea what it is like, and is advocating its continued use based upon his opinion that it is not torture.

he's making an ignorant assumption based upon an experience he has yet to undergo.

As Olbermann said, put your money where your mouth is.
    But on the other hand, who are the people we are waterboarding? Are they masterminds we need information from? That most anyone WOULD torture for information? Are they total pieces of filth?

^ irrelevant.

torturing them means you have lowered yourself to their level and have abandoned the ideals that are supposed to make you BETTER than them. The ideals you are trying to protect. The ideals that, if you torture, mean nothing.

You become animals, and they win.

Torture is not a reliable way to get information anyway, never has been.

I don't care who it is, I don't want anyone to have anything like a near-drowning experience, actually drown or whatever. That's one of my biggest fears, it just seems like a very slow and painful way to go.

Sorry. Don't care who it is, unless there's certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    But on the other hand, who are the people we are waterboarding? Are they masterminds we need information from? That most anyone WOULD torture for information? Are they total pieces of filth?
    Who DECIDES they are pieces of filth or masterminds? Are we just supposed to trust our government on that? Who watches the watchers? Just because one is Middle Eastern does not make one a terrorist. The simple fact is that all they need is "suspicion" to torture someone. Who do we trust to make that assessment? Who is to say they don't have ulterior motives? Its sad that people trust any government enough to think they are somehow above all and intuitively know who to torture and who is a "good guy" and who is a "bad guy". Look, I know Middle Eastern people who are scared to stand up for their rights because they don't want to kick up any fuss at all, they don't want any negative attention from the government. Is that right? Isn't that absolute power? Its scary that one can find it justified because we are told that they are "pieces of filth." So thats all your government needs to tell you for you to give them the thumbs up? It makes me scared for our nation if people actually think this way.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Bronze Member

lukur, i had a near drowning experience as a kid as well, i will never forget the panic and fear, my cousin,who saved me said i kept clawing at her and almost dragged her down...i was just trying to grab hold of her. Not my fondest memory but one that would always stay with me

If he does go through with it, he'll have a signal he can give that means he wants them to stop. He'll go through with it for a few seconds, give the signal, and then say it wasn't so bad--that it was just like having water thrown in your face. It's knowing that you CAN'T stop it when you give a signal that makes it true torture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information