Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin backs Alaskan parental consent abortion bill

Default Sarah Palin backs Alaskan parental consent abortion bill

Gov. Sarah Palin on Thursday threw her support behind a controversial bill that would generally require parental consent before girls under age 17 could get an abortion.

She called a press conference Thursday and surrounded by a dozen lawmakers including state Rep. John Coghill, R-North Pole, and Sen. Donny Olson, D-Nome, said:

"Wherever you fall on the abortion issue, right or left, this legislation is about family, and it's about parents' rights and protecting our children, and it's supported by legislators on both sides of the aisle."

She said she's throwing her support behind Coghill's House Bill 35, which backers are calling "parents' rights" legislation.

The measure may have trouble in the state Senate, where Senate President Gary Stevens said months ago that "far left and far right issues" would be off the table for his coalition of Democrats and Republicans.

Sen. Hollis French, D-Anchorage and chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said he would give the bill a hearing. He hasn't yet analyzed it. Last year a similar bill died in his committee.

"My main concern is and has been that we pass bills that are constitutional," French said in an e-mail.

If the bill does pass, opponents promise to challenge it in court.

"The bottom line is that our Alaska state Constitution is pretty clear about a woman having the right to choose if she wants to have an abortion or not and the state constitution hasn't changed," said Clover Simon, Alaska vice president of Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest.

It's not clear how many abortions are done now for teenagers without a parent's OK.

Last year at Planned Parenthood's Anchorage clinic, 18 girls age 16 or younger got abortions, Simon said. All but four had parents involved, she said.

The organization provides 40 to 50 percent of the abortions in Alaska. It also offers birth control and sex education, but parents rarely bring in teens for those services, she said.

According to state statistics, there were 1,759 abortions in Alaska in 2008. Abortions were performed on 141 teens under age 18, according to the annual state report. The report doesn't specify how many were under 17, the group affected by the bill. And the state doesn't collect information on whether parents of teens were involved.

In 2007 the Supreme Court ruled a similar bill unconstitutional on a 3-2 vote. That bill passed the Legislature in 1997 and became law over then-Gov. Tony Knowles' veto. Dana Fabe, who wrote the high court's majority opinion in 2007, is now the court's chief justice.

Palin, who has made one Supreme Court appointment and is about to make a second, says it might be different now.

"Thankfully we know we can think optimistically about a court perhaps changing its mind, changing its opinion. Courts revisit their decisions all the time and if they did not, then we would still be in a society that allows segregated schools," said Palin.

Coghill, one of Alaska's most outspoken anti-abortion lawmakers, said his bill is different from the overturned law.

For instance, the new version says that abortions cannot generally be performed on girls under 17 "without notice to and the consent of a parent, guardian or custodian."

If this measure passes and then is challenged as promised, the Supreme Court could strike down the requirement for consent, but leave in the requirement for notice, meaning that parents would have to be told about the abortion but wouldn't have to give an OK, Coghill said.

The law rejected by the Supreme Court didn't mention notice to parents, so that wasn't an option.

The new version has a provision for teens to go to court to bypass the requirement for parental permission. The overturned law had a bypass mechanism as well, but Coghill said it's been tweaked to make it easier.

Teens who are on their own or married also don't have to get a parent's permission, under the measure. "In every area of life we say, 'You want an aspirin, you want to go on a field trip, you need parental consent to do this.' This is the only area, because of the constitutional struggle, that we come down to where the parent has no right," Coghill said. "I so disagree with that."

Sen. Olson, who is a medical doctor, said someone should give informed consent for even the simplest of medical procedures "whether they are taking off a wart or going ahead and cutting into a boil" because the situation can become risky quickly.

Palin said when her son, Track, dislocated his shoulder playing hockey a couple of years ago, he couldn't get any treatment or even a drink of water until she got to the emergency room.

"Here he's a 17-year-old boy not being able to get a cup of water without Mom or Dad being there to say yeah, it's OK, you've notified me,' " Palin said.

Sen. Charlie Huggins, R-Wasilla, said if the Legislature doesn't pass the bill, he expects someone to push a citizen's initiative for parental consent.

Palin, an anti-abortion Republican who won praise from crusaders like Phyllis Schlafly during her bid for vice president, didn't pressure legislators last year to go forward, even when the abortion bill stalled in French's committee. Now it's a new Legislature and Palin appears ready for the battle.

"It's not right, it's not fair to Alaskans to have a wedge driven between children and parents," the governor said.
    Palin says abortion-consent bill would protect children: Politics | adn.com

Palin, who has made one Supreme Court appointment and is about to make a second, says it might be different now.
    Now that's a scary thought.

Elite Member

Good thing her pick was limited to Alaska. The US Supreme court alone was reason enough to vote for Obama and Biden.

A*O

Will someone please give a bear a rifle and deal with Abstinance Barbie once and for all?
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

I can't say I disagree with this bill. I'm a parent, and I'd like to know if my 16 year old (or younger) daughter is pregnant and seeking an abortion. I'll even go so far as to say it is my RIGHT to know. As long as she's living under my roof and I'm paying her bills, I am responsible for her care and her medical conditions are of direct concern to me. The thought of my DD being pregnant and getting an abortion behind my back is frightening to me.

Now I must go shudder at the thought of agreeing with Palin on something. But, I bet if you'd ask Obama he would feel the same.

Alaska has very high rates of incest, alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, and high school dropoutism (can't find the word I want). All of that adds up to non-supportive, scary family relationships.

The thought of a teenage girl having to continue with a pregnancy because she's afraid to tell her parents she's pregnant in time to get a safe abortion is frightening to me.

This is not unique to Alaska....

43 states restrict young women's access to abortion by mandating parental notice or consent: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WV, WI, WY.

Advocates of choice really need to act on their own state level to change these laws.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; February 28th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

She is trying so hard to take care "100 things to do whilst being a cunt" list and failing miserably.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

OCK

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I can't say I disagree with this bill. I'm a parent, and I'd like to know if my 16 year old (or younger) daughter is pregnant and seeking an abortion. I'll even go so far as to say it is my RIGHT to know. As long as she's living under my roof and I'm paying her bills, I am responsible for her care and her medical conditions are of direct concern to me. The thought of my DD being pregnant and getting an abortion behind my back is frightening to me.

Now I must go shudder at the thought of agreeing with Palin on something. But, I bet if you'd ask Obama he would feel the same.
    It's one thing to want to know if your daughter is seeking an abortion, it's another to have a final say in the matter. This bill won't really have a huge impact on loving, supportive families since there is a good chance girls with supportive families would be willing to tell their parents they are pregnant and discuss their options. However, there are a ton of girls with crap families who would refuse to support the girl's wishes or even become abusive if they found out she was pregnant/had an abortion. A pregnant teenager's parents should not be able to force her to have the baby if she doesn't want it or force her to have an abortion if she does want to keep the baby (Palin probably didn't think of that).
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Personally I would prefer if my daughter did get an abortion at 14,15,16 whatever age..but obviously I'd like to know.

A*O

Magic Milkshake anyone??
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Something tells me her and Todd's wedding involved a shotgun.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I personally think,if you are a decent Mother,you won't have to worry. Your daughter will tell you. If you are non supportive,abusive,self absorbed sort-she won't. And I don't think she should be forced to tell. You might be a good mother,but we have heard of far too many right on here that could not possibly be told. For different reasons,some are just really rotten mothers. I have decided just from reading on here,there might be more rotten than good out there.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Something tells me her and Todd's wedding involved a shotgun.
    I think their first kid arrived 7 months after they were married. Full-term. I read that her mother also married while pregnant. I don't think it was all that unusual in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten View Post
    She is trying so hard to take care "100 things to do whilst being a cunt" list and failing miserably.
    She is one scary bitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information