Thread: Outrage: Obama admin tries to kill Bush admin "missing e-mails" investigation

Angry Outrage: Obama admin tries to kill Bush admin "missing e-mails" investigation

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Obama administration, siding with former President George W. Bush, is trying to kill a lawsuit that seeks to recover what could be millions of missing White House e-mails.

Two advocacy groups suing the Executive Office of the President say that large amounts of White House e-mail documenting Bush's eight years in office may still be missing, and that the government must undertake an extensive recovery effort. They expressed disappointment that Obama's Justice Department is continuing the Bush administration's bid to get the lawsuits dismissed.

During its first term, the Bush White House failed to install electronic record-keeping for e-mail when it switched to a new system, resulting in millions of messages that could not be found.

The Bush White House discovered the problem in 2005 and rejected a proposed solution.

Recently, the Bush White House said it had located 14 million e-mails that were misplaced and that the White House had restored hundreds of thousands of other e-mails from computer backup tapes.

The steps the White House took are inadequate, one of the two groups, the National Security Archive, told a federal judge in court papers filed Friday.

"We do not know how many more e-mails could be restored but have not been, because defendants have not looked," the National Security Archive said in the court papers.

"The new administration seems no more eager than the last" to deal with the issue, said Anne Weismann, chief counsel for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the other group that sued the EOP.

The Executive Office of the President includes the president's immediate staff and many White House offices and agencies.

Tom Blanton, director of the National Security Archive, noted that President Barack Obama on his first full day in office called for greater transparency in government.

The Justice Department "apparently never got the message" from Obama, Blanton said.

The department defends the government when it is sued.

My Way News - Obama administration tries to kill e-mail case
    Ok, so along with NOT investigating anything Bush did, and keeping 'extraordinary rendition', now he's going to protect MORE of the bush admin's crimes?

Wtf is wrong with Obama. Fuck your change, buddy. What a crock.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think with limited time and resources that Obama's focus is where it should be. He was always pretty clear that his administration would not be hall monitor for the monstrocities of the Bush administration. It's unfortunate that we have so many problems that we can't get a real investigation into the last 8 years, let's just hope we Americans have learned our lesson about electing vacuous frat boys who pair up with the troll who lives under Daddy's bridge.

Oddly, he seems to have enough time to proactively prevent investigations into the Bush admin. It's not a matter of limited time or resources. He has the time to put up a fight to keep things from being investigated.

What a load of shit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

As much as I would like the Obama team to go after Dubya it's not going to happen. Sitting presidents don't usually go after the president they just replaced, which is why Obama's dragging his feet about investigating anything Dubya did in regards to war crimes.

he's not dragging his feet, he is actively opposing any investigation. He is spending time and effort to stop them, and spending time and effort in continuing a lot of the shitty secretive shit Bush did.

There's a big difference between the two.

Which is what I said in my last post about how no sitting president is going to go after the president they replaced. That includes blocking any investigations, which I think is wrong, but, hey, that's life.

Dubya is never going to get brought up on any charges by Obama or any other president, so people should just get used to that idea. Some of the people in his administration may get into trouble, but he won't. Even the U.N. hasn't gone after Dubya.

The point is not so much going after the chimp, but in continuing the reprehensible policies and blocking any attempt to stop them. It basically makes his whole campaign a lie. It's indefensible.

Obama promised transparency in his administration, not Dubya's. Now, I agree it's bullshit for him to block any investigation into Dubya's administration, but considering that the Justice Department is still loaded with Bush appointees any investigation wouldn't get too far.

Yes, and the transparency thus far delivered has fallen very short of being so.

How so, other than than the stuff concerning Dubya?

I never expected Obama's administration to be completely transparent, because while it sounds good as a campaign promise, it's impossible for any president's administration to be completely transparent. But when it comes to the projects that he's been trying to push through I think Obama's been fairly open about them.

Thread Information