Thread: North Dakota Voters Elect Marine Serving in Iraq

Default North Dakota Voters Elect Marine Serving in Iraq

N.D. PRIMARY ELECTIONS: 'Ooh-rah!' It's Mac
    Marine wins GF council Ward 2 race from Iraq; Bakken wins Ward 6

By Tu-Uyen Tran

Herald Staff Writer

"We've got a raid going on right now, and I can't do anything for another 90 minutes. Can I call you then or is it too late?"

Thus went the e-mail from Maj. Mike McNamara from Fallujah, Iraq, replying to a request for an interview following his victory in the Grand Forks City Council Ward 2 race.

The race had been an intense one with four other candidates fighting for the same office and all of them having the advantage of being in town during the campaign.

Not that Mac, as he is often known, didn't have advantages of his own being both a local media celebrity - he's the host of "Mac Talk" on KNOX radio - and a Marine in a time when the military enjoys the most prestige it's had since World War II.

As things turned out, he had no problem wooing the voters. Mac got 49 percent of the 695 votes cast in Ward 2, the city ward with the biggest voter turnout. His closest rival was Jon Dorner, who had 19 percent of the vote.

Mac's wife, Susan, who went door-to-door on his behalf with their children and other volunteers, said no one they spoke with thought his being away was a problem. She said it would be no different than when current council members are away during meetings: They call in.

Mac is scheduled to return in 93 days, according to his Web site, VoteMcNamara.com.

From Grand Forks Herald
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Default Re: North Dakota Voters Elect Marine Serving in Iraq

Did he run as an independent or something? If so, that's very interesting..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: North Dakota Voters Elect Marine Serving in Iraq

^^^ I cruised a couple of sites but came across nothing indicating his party affiliation. VERY refreshing, the whole notion of political parties bores me - what does that matter anyway? People should vote on issues.

The only *party* I care for is the I'd like to throw (when I have mo' money) with loads of wine, beer, scrumptious food & of course my standby, Rebel Yell bourbon.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Thread Information