Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking! Federal judge ORDERS Obama admin to immediately halt DADT discharges

Exclamation Breaking! Federal judge ORDERS Obama admin to immediately halt DADT discharges

This is huge.

You want to know how to vote in three weeks? Just watch what President Obama does in response to today's order by a federal judge to immediately cease all "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" discharges immediately.

The President, who is himself a constitutional scholar, has been handed the golden opportunity to end DADT once and for all. A federal judge has now ruled that the gay ban is unconstitutional, and he has ordered the federal government to stop the discharges immediately. The President now has the power - given to him by a federal judge - to do the right thing, to do what he promised, to side with the civil rights community. All he has to do is not appeal, and DADT is over.

It's a no-brainer. Even for this administration that is loathe to do anything bold, loathe to be seen as responsible for anything even slightly "controversial." Well, now they have their out. It's the judge's fault. President Obama can simply choose not to appeal the case, to respect the judge's decision, and DADT is over. It's history.

Or the President can direct his Department of Justice to oppose the judge's order, to appeal the case, and to defend DADT - to defend bigotry, to go down in history on the same side as those who chose to defend discrimination against another class of Americans earlier in the 20th century. It's no longer up to Congress, it's not longer "out of the President's hands." It's in Barack Obama's hands. Will America's first African-American president side with the bigots, or will he side with civil rights. Will he act boldly, or will he choose the way of the coward?

President Obama's decision will tell you all you need to know about whether the Democratic party is on your side, or whether they are simply using you for your vote and your money.

AMERICAblog Gay
    He'll appeal it, because he's a bigoted piece of shit.. but it will be interesting.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

agree, I think he will appeal. bigoted asshole.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Why doesn't the Judicial branch have its own enforcement arm? Fucking MAKE HIM obey.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gee, what will the 'fierce advocate' do?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

he had better not fucking appeal it!

I swear I am *this close* to jumping on the Obama sucks! train for good. And I have really resisted jumping..

Do the fucking right thing !!!!!!

YOu know he wont.

EDIT: boy, i'm psychic. This isn't for the DADT decision, but the DOMA one earlier.

Department of Justice will Appeal GLAD’s Victory in DOMA Lawsuit

Today, the Department of Justice filed a notice of appeal in the case of Gill v. Office of Personnel Management, the challenge brought by Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) to Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Representing seven married same-sex couples and three widowers, GLAD filed Gill in March 2009. The case was heard in May 2010 by U.S. District Court Joseph L. Tauro, who issued a decision finding DOMA Section 3 unconstitutional on July 8, 2010.

“We fully expected an appeal and are more than ready to meet it head on,” said Mary L. Bonauto, GLAD’s Civil Rights Project Director. “DOMA brings harm to families like our plaintiffs every day, denying married couples and their children basic protections like health insurance, pensions, and Social Security benefits. We are confident in the strength of our case.”

The case is now before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. The next step will be for the government to file its brief to that court arguing that Judge Tauro’s ruling was wrong. GLAD will then file its brief in opposition to the government, and finally the government will file a reply brief. At that point, the appeal will be scheduled for oral argument. Briefing could be concluded by the spring of 2011 with oral argument to follow by the fall of 2011.

The government also today filed its notice of appeal in the related case Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Department of Health and Human Services.
    Co-counsel in the Gill case are attorneys from the firms Foley Hoag LLP, Sullivan & Worcester LLP, Jenner & Block LLP, and Kator, Parks & Weiser, PLLC.

Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders is New England’s leading legal organization dedicated to ending discrimination based on sexual orientation, HIV status, and gender identity and expression.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; October 12th, 2010 at 03:58 PM.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after this; but I fear that Obama will appeal on this to once again appease the GOP. ugh

He's not doing it to appease the GOP. He's doing it because this is his position, despite what he "says".

I guess Obama is just a bigoted asshole if he does this. What a fucking disappointment!

Some people actually think he won't appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    He's not doing it to appease the GOP. He's doing it because this is his position, despite what he "says".
    Thank you! His spew about him being bi-partisan is BS. He is doing this because he believes it is wrong.

Obama's Excruciating Trap On Civil Rights

12 Oct 2010 06:02 pm

Irony of ironies: the Log Cabin Republicans have beaten Barack Obama in trying to end the ban on openly gay members of the military. The ruling, of course, is almost certainly going to be appealed by the Justice Department, and, I'd wager, a stay granted. This is a bit of hyperbole from LCR's lawyer, but not far off either:
    "Don't ask, don't tell, as of today at least, is done, and the government is going to have to do something now to resurrect it. This is an extremely significant, historic decision. Once and for all, this failed policy is stopped. Fortunately now we hope all Americans who wish to serve their country can."
    So once again, we will have the political prospect of the Obama administration simultaneously legally defending the Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask, Don't Tell in court, while politically saying they oppose both. There is a case for such a position, and Obama's insistence on orderly executive defenses of laws passed by Congress is constitutionally sound. But in the arc of history and morality it is an increasingly perverse and bizarre one. It could also mean disaster for gay servicemembers.

Here's the thing. We have no guarantee that the Senate will pass legislative repeal of DADT in this session; and there's every chance that a radically Christianist GOP will win majorities in one or both Houses and definitely be able to sustain a filibuster against repeal in the next session if necessary. This is not because even most Republican voters back DADT; it is because it is a party hijacked by religious fundamentalists who cannot conceive of openly gay people serving their country. Look at the party of Paladino and DeMint and Palin. You think they will support anything that could remotely be deemed pro-gay?

In the long run, this will hurt the GOP - and watching the Log Cabin Republicans fight this battle is heartening. But in the short run, it could very well mean that this awful policy, opposed by 75 percent of the country, that imposes intolerable burdens on servicemembers risking their lives for us ... could be in place for the indefinite future. And Obama will be the commander-in-chief enforcing it.

Yes, the GOP is the main party to blame. But no, this does not excuse the extra-cautious, gays-are-radioactive mindset of the Obama administration. This ruling therefore represents a chance for the president. He has the executive authority simply to issue a stop-loss order to end the firing of gay troops until further notice. If the Senate does not pass legislative repeal this session, he should use it.

These men and women are putting their lives at risk for us. Every day we wait, they are victimized and stigmatized. It is immoral, wrong, and damaging to national security. And if Obama thinks gay voters and our families are going to be happy when he ends his first term with nothing accomplished except the lifting of the HIV ban (backed by Bush) and a hate crimes bill that has so far had zero prosecutions, he is mistaken.

Or perhaps it is better put this way: if this president cannot take a stand on civil rights when it is supported by three quarters of the public, when will he?

Obama's Excruciating Trap On Civil Rights - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Face it, the man's a bigot and a fucking liar. He was never going to do jack shit about this. He can try and lay the blame on all the repubs he wants, in the end, the buck should stop with him... but he'll try to pass it along. Like I've been saying, he'll never be elected for a second term.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Face it, the man's a bigot and a fucking liar. He was never going to do jack shit about this. He can try and lay the blame on all the repubs he wants, in the end, the buck should stop with him... but he'll try to pass it along. Like I've been saying, he'll never be elected for a second term.
    Absolutely.

See? Told you. The fucking bigot is going to appeal it. Oh, and check out the part I've bolded, that quote is fucking RICH.

The White House said Wednesday that recent court decisions have demonstrated to Congress that the “Don't ask, don’t tell” law will soon end — it’s just a matter of how.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs acknowledged the Justice Department is preparing to appeal a court’s decision against the law preventing gays from serving openly in the military, but said President Obama is still committed to ending the policy.

“This is a policy that is going to end,” Gibbs said. “It's not whether it's going to end. It's about the process.”
    Gibbs said the pressure is on the Senate to change the law, but the president is still working with the Pentagon, which should conclude its review on ending the policy in December, to change the law if Congress won’t.

“The best way to end it is for the Senate to follow the lead of the House of Representatives,” Gibbs said. “But absent that, the president has set up a process to end this policy.”

The “bottom line,” Gibbs said, is that a number of court decisions finding the policy unconstitutional have “sent a message to Congress that time is running out on the policy.”

“I think the courts have demonstrated that the time is ticking on the end of ‘Don't ask, don’t tell,’ ” Gibbs said.

Groups opposed to “Don’t ask, don’t tell” along with 22 Democratic senators have called on Justice to refrain from appealing the decision, but the department is generally obligated to defend laws approved by Congress. Justice could also ask for an injunction against yesterday’s decision, which prevents the military from enforcing “Don’t ask, don’t tell.” Some groups opposed to the policy have advised gay men and women in the military to not disclose their sexual orientation because of the possibility that the decision could be reversed.

Gay and lesbian groups have said their patience is wearing thin, and they have repeatedly looked to the president to end the policy with an executive decision as commander in chief.

But the president and his aides have repeatedly stressed the need to include the Pentagon in the process of ending the policy in order to ensure that a change is “orderly.”

White House: 'Don't ask' will end soon - TheHill.com
    It's about the process? No, it's not you stupid fat shitbag. It's not about the process, it's about IT ENDING.

Your fucking fatuous bullshit about "it will end soon, just wait" DOES NOT FUCKING HELP THE PEOPLE WHO ARE STILL BEING DISCHARGED AND WITCH HUNTED WHILE YOUR ALL-IMPORTANT PROCESS IS FIDDLED WITH DAY AFTER DAY.

GGRAAAAAHHHH!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information