Thread: Illegal Immigrants Estimated to Account for 1 in 12 U.S. Births

Default Illegal Immigrants Estimated to Account for 1 in 12 U.S. Births

One in 12 babies born in the U.S. in 2008 were offspring of illegal immigrants, according to a new study, an estimate that could inflame the debate over birthright citizenship.

Undocumented immigrants make up slightly more than 4% of the U.S. adult population. However, their babies represented twice that share, or 8%, of all births on U.S. soil in 2008, according to the nonpartisan Pew Hispanic Center's report.

"Unauthorized immigrants are younger than the rest of the population, are more likely to be married and have higher fertility rates than the rest of the population," said Jeffrey Passel, a senior demographer at Pew in Washington, D.C.

The report, based on Pew's analysis of the Census Bureau's March 2009 Current Population Survey, also found that the lion's share, or 79%, of the 5.1 million children of illegal immigrants residing in the U.S. in 2009 were born in the country and are therefore citizens.

In total, about 11 million undocumented immigrants live in the U.S. Latinos account for 75% of undocumented U.S. immigrants and about 85% of the births among that population.

A spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a national group that lobbies for curbing immigration, said Wednesday its studies have yielded numbers similar to those estimated by Pew.

Amid a heated national debate over illegal immigration, some Republican politicians have been calling for changes to the Constitution's 14th Amendment, which grants citizenship to "all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof," in order to deny citizenship to children born in the U.S. to unlawful residents.

Late last month, South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham announced his support for reconsidering automatic U.S. citizenship for babies born to undocumented immigrants. He said the status quo enticed people to enter the country illegally and have children to qualify for U.S. benefits.

Under U.S. law, children have to wait until they reach the age of 21 before they can petition for permanent legal residency for their parents.

Recently, Mr. Graham's idea has been embraced by several other lawmakers, including Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, where state legislators passed a controversial law to quash illegal immigration. A federal judge stayed major portions of the law on July 28; the case has been appealed.

Legislation to amend birthright citizenship stalled when it was introduced in the past decade in the House. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the House and Senate, and would have to be ratified by three-fourths of state legislatures.

Proponents of amending the 14th Amendment, which was enacted in 1868, say it was intended to guarantee citizenship to freed slaves after the Civil War, not the offspring of illegal immigrants. Their proposals are expected to appeal to conservative Republican voters as immigration emerges as a central issue in November's elections.

GOP opponents of repealing birthright citizenship say it undermines the party's electoral prospects among Hispanics, the nation's largest minority and fastest-growing group. Generally, Democrats are strongly opposed to repeal.

Mr. Passel said that the Pew analysis found that more than 80% of the undocumented immigrant mothers who gave birth in the U.S. had been in the country at least a year, and that many had been here about a decade.

Illegal Immigrants Estimated to Account for 1 in 12 U.S. Births - WSJ.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

no one wants to comment because what can you say in defense. It's awlful and I for one am so tired of it. The biggest problem is the immigrants in California don't ever assimilate. Some live here for years and never learn English, they don't have to. I wouldn't mind if some of their best and brightest were coming here, but it is not. Other countries that immigrate legally have to jump through so many hoops. Something really needs t be done. We need to stop calling "racist" and get a grip on this problem.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Elite Member

English never was our national language. Many languages were spoken in the cities of the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Bronze Member
    Searching for myself in this great big world.

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    no one wants to comment because what can you say in defense. It's awlful and I for one am so tired of it. The biggest problem is the immigrants in California don't ever assimilate. Some live here for years and never learn English, they don't have to. I wouldn't mind if some of their best and brightest were coming here, but it is not. Other countries that immigrate legally have to jump through so many hoops. Something really needs t be done. We need to stop calling "racist" and get a grip on this problem.
    Those are some big generalizations your making. You do realize that of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants, not all of them stand in front of Home Depot, not speaking a lick of English? The majority are fully assimilated in the US and you would never know it because being undocumented is a legal status not an ethnicity. For all you know, people you socialize with or call friends can be undocumented. Why would they tell you the truth? Especially if they're aware of your narrow minded views? Most people are too embarrassed or afraid to admit their real legal status. I was an "illegal" for 10 years and you would never know it, not in a million years. I'm fully assimilated, English is my second language and I speak it without an accent. I'd like to believe I'm bright, since I have two college degrees. I give back to my community as much as I possibly can. I tutor, through the public library, ENGLISH speakers who are illiterate as well as those who want to learn to speak English. Don't be so quick to paint everyone with a broad brush. Does there need to be an immigration solution? Yes. But don't feed into the propaganda about the "illegals" being the problem. There is plenty of blame to go around, including ourselves. If you want to read an interesting story, read the story of Alfredo Quinones, an "illegal" who is now the director of the brain tumor program at Johns Hopkins: Hopkins Medicine Magazine - The Alfredo Story

True, not all "illegals" will reach that level of success, but this belief that they stand around Home Depot, get a welfare check for their 5 million anchor babies and spend all day in the emergency room and demand that everyone speak Spanish is also a gross misrepresentation of the many hard working people who add to our communities daily.
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." --RW Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Yeah, but I think that eventually they will assmilate more, as generations go by. It was the same when lots of Germans came here, and Jews, etc. At one time in NYC the newspaper with the greatest readership was in Yiddish. It just takes time, but it will happen. And the kids will eventually identify as Americans. You think if they are born here and grow up here..that they will want to go to Mexico?

As they get more and more exposed to mainstream American culture, it is just inevitable. Even being surrounded by a Spanish speaking environment, it will happen stage by stage.

And I agree..my main problem is the assimilation issue. If they are going to come here, then please stay here-keep your heritage but make an effort to become a bit mainstream too. If you come here, don't just be a Mexican living here, sending your hard earned money back to another nation, but become an American -of Mexican heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMay View Post
    Those are some big generalizations your making. You do realize that of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants, not all of them stand in front of Home Depot, not speaking a lick of English? The majority are fully assimilated in the US and you would never know it because being undocumented is a legal status not an ethnicity. For all you know, people you socialize with or call friends can be undocumented. Why would they tell you the truth? Especially if they're aware of your narrow minded views? Most people are too embarrassed or afraid to admit their real legal status. I was an "illegal" for 10 years and you would never know it, not in a million years. I'm fully assimilated, English is my second language and I speak it without an accent. I'd like to believe I'm bright, since I have two college degrees. I give back to my community as much as I possibly can. I tutor, through the public library, ENGLISH speakers who are illiterate as well as those who want to learn to speak English. Don't be so quick to paint everyone with a broad brush. Does there need to be an immigration solution? Yes. But don't feed into the propaganda about the "illegals" being the problem. There is plenty of blame to go around, including ourselves. If you want to read an interesting story, read the story of Alfredo Quinones, an "illegal" who is now the director of the brain tumor program at Johns Hopkins: Hopkins Medicine Magazine - The Alfredo Story

True, not all "illegals" will reach that level of success, but this belief that they stand around Home Depot, get a welfare check for their 5 million anchor babies and spend all day in the emergency room and demand that everyone speak Spanish is also a gross misrepresentation of the many hard working people who add to our communities daily.

I'll bet you don't live in San Diego.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That 1 is a US citizen. Oh no they're taking over our schools the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did we get any stats on the other 11 and what productive members of US society their parents are?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

The problem is that they are illegal. It doesn't matter where they're from. They are breaking our laws. You want to be here, fine - just go through the process we have set up. It's not fair to those who follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    The problem is that they are illegal. It doesn't matter where they're from. They are breaking our laws. You want to be here, fine - just go through the process we have set up. It's not fair to those who follow the rules.
    This.

There is a process to immigrate here. Just follow it.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The "anchor babies" (fucking nasty ass phrase) are not illegal.
    Posted from my iPhone

^^ So the babies can stay, their parents can go. The parents can choose to leave them here with a legal guardian or take them back to their original country. There are laws for a reason. Why should some people get to skate around them? Everyone should be treated equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    The "anchor babies" (fucking nasty ass phrase) are not illegal.
    Posted from my iPhone
    they should be.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

A*O

But that's the whole problem - no matter what your parents' immigration status if you are born on US soil you are an American citizen. Period. I think it's even enshrined in the US constitution?
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Pretty much.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information