Thread: McCain camp's rationale for picking Sarah Palin: 'high risk, high reward'

Talking McCain camp's rationale for picking Sarah Palin: 'high risk, high reward'

WASHINGTON (CNN) A.B. Culvahouse, the attorney tasked with leading the vetting process for Republican presidential nominee John McCain's running mate, said Friday that he thoroughly scrutinized Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and said that he "came away impressed."
    McCain's vetting process came under scrutiny after numerous surprises about Palin popped up in the weeks after she was tapped as his vice presidential pick. Culvahouse said he and his team of 30 lawyers knew everything, including the fact that her teenage daughter was pregnant. He suggested that the campaign staff that talked to the media may not have been fully informed, which "led to the impression that those issues had been withheld."
    "Gov. Palin told us everything. Everything except the pregnancy of her daughter was on a response to the written questionnaire," Culvahouse said Friday at a Republican National Lawyers Association National Policy Conference. "She told me there was one issue she wanted to talk about when we went in for the interview. We knew everything going in."
    Culvahouse said they started with 26 candidates who didn't know they were under consideration. Once the list was narrowed down to six, each person was given a survey with 74 questions, which he said included specific questions, like "have you ever been unfaithful," but not "what the meaning of is, is."
    "Me and two of my most cynical partners interviewed her and we came away impressed," Culvahouse said of his interview with Palin. "I think she would've made a great vice president."
    He said he gave her three "leading" questions, asking if she was prepared to use nuclear weapons, why she wanted to be vice president, and if the CIA located Osama bin Laden, but shooting him would result in civilian casualties, what would she do. Culvahouse said she "knocked those three questions out of the park."
    Culvahouse said McCain was the "decider," but that he was not allowed to pick anyone that had not been vetted. But when McCain asked him for the "bottom line" on Palin, Culvahouse said the Republican nominee liked the "risk" involved.
    "I said, John, high risk, high reward," Culvahouse said. "His response, you shouldn't have told me that. I've been a risk-taker all my life."
    Palin as VP pick: 'high risk, high reward'
    Like they really vetted Palin.

if she was prepared to use nuclear weapons

How can you be prepared to use nuclear weapons when you can't even properly pronounce 'nuclear?'

why she wanted to be vice president

They should've asked her if she knew what the VP actually does, since she had no idea.

if the CIA located Osama bin Laden, but shooting him would result in civilian casualties, what would she do.

She'd jump in a helicopter and shoot the civilians like they were wolf cubs.

What happened to the reward part??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    What happened to the reward part??
    We got the HIGH REWARD...her ass isn't VP!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Exactly.

But this whole thing is just damage control for Palin, so they can try to show that she wasn't really the iceberg to McCain's Titantic campaign.

Elite Member

I bet he didn't ask questions like:

What newspapers do you read?

What Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with in addition to Roe v Wade?

Is Africa a country or a continent?

"Me and two of my most cynical partners interviewed her and we came away impressed," Culvahouse said of his interview with Palin.

He is disqualified from ever speaking to adults again for this idiotic pattern of words. Not to step on Grim's 2d grade school marm role...but it is "My two most cynical partners and I..."

Cannot take anything else he attempts to say seriously and it explains a lot about why he chose an illiterate, birds of a feather and all.

Elite Member

Default re

The "high risk, high reward" argument only works with regard to her potential value as a candidate. If all you want to do is win an election, perhaps that approach makes sense.

If you want to govern well if elected, then, no. Just no. Go ahead and risk your candidacy, but please don't risk my country, asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Thank God for that! But I meant to poor ol' McCain!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Thank God for that! But I meant to poor ol' McCain!
    McCain got to prove that he was a true maverick, by picking a running mate who wasn't qualified to be a tour guide at Disneyland, let alone VP.

Oh please, she couldn't muster up a coherent answer to interviews in which she knew the questions and was given the answers beforehand. I can only imagine how she would have performed if she had to fend for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Oh please, she couldn't muster up a coherent answer to interviews in which she knew the questions and was given the answers beforehand. I can only imagine how she would have performed if she had to fend for herself.
    Since she's so narcissistic she will always blame McCain and "the way she was handled" for all her future and numerous failures.

If they "knew everything", that means that they knew about the First Dud's involvement in the AIP (the party in Alaska that wants to secede--wasn't their leader killed because he was fucking with explosives?). If McCain knew about this, and still thought it was super for this family to lead the nation should he die, then he deserves even more contempt than already has been piled on his shriveled noggin.

You just know Mccain can't stand her ass. I still remember an interview they did together toward the end of the campaign and his face looked so painful and like he was going to strangle her.
    That's the one where she said she was not going to label herself as a 'feminist.'

^^After she had already told Katie she DID consider herself a feminist. I guess that didn't go over too well with her fundie base.

Thread Information