Thread: Alaskan Legislature rejects Sarah Palin's pick for Attorney General

Default Alaskan Legislature rejects Sarah Palin's pick for Attorney General

And here is the official word from the governor on the rejection of Wayne Anthony Ross. Dateline Indiana:

“In an unprecedented move, the 26th Alaska Legislature today rejected Governor Sarah Palin’s nomination for attorney general. Lawmakers failed to confirm Wayne Anthony Ross by a vote of 23 to 35.

“I believed I knew what Alaskans wanted when I selected an individual who is a strong backer of 2nd Amendment rights, a staunch supporter of the state Constitution and a defender of life,” Governor Palin said. “Wayne Anthony Ross supports responsible, ethical development of Alaska’s rich resources. I’m surprised that legislators in this case really did not seem to represent their constituents and allowed themselves to be swayed by side issues. Mr. Ross is a fine Alaskan. He is held in high esteem by many Alaskans. I appreciate his willingness to serve the public.”

Side issues? Like being concerned if you’re a lawmaker who might be breaking the LAW?
    http://www.themudflats.net/2009/04/1...oss-smackdown/

JUNEAU - The Alaska Legislature voted 35 to 23 today to reject the confirmation of Wayne Anthony Ross, Gov. Sarah Palin's pick for attorney general.

According to Legislative Research, today's rejection of Ross is the first time in state history that a head of a state agency has failed to be confirmed by the Legislature. All the Democrats in the Legislature voted against Ross, but they were joined by nine Republicans, including the Senate president and House speaker.

"I think he is too controversial for the state of Alaska. We've got in some people's mind a controversial governor and I think that he just has too many controversies out there," said House Speaker Mike Chenault, a Nikiski Republican.

Even Ross' opponents in the Legislature had said only a few days ago that he had enough support to be confirmed despite huge opposition from Native groups, his calling gays "degenerates" in the 1990s, and allegations that he made offensive comments about women. But a tipping point appeared to come this week when he gave what lawmakers called bad and politicized legal advice to Palin about a fight she's having with lawmakers over a state Senate appointment.

Palin said the legislators who voted no didn't make themselves look good by rejecting an attorney general who strongly supports the issues important to Alaskans - gun rights, constitutional rights and developing the state's resources.

"I think there was a lot of politics of personal destruction involved in this and that's a shame. ...I am surprised that, for what I believe is some personal petty political reasons, some lawmakers chose not to support a candidate who fit that bill," she said in a telephone interview.

The governor is speaking tonight at a Right to Life event in Indiana.

Palin said the "hypocrisy" is that the state House last year unanimously passed a citation praising Ross as a distinguished Alaskan and vocal proponent of free speech whose career has been dedicated to defending individual rights.

"The hypocrisy there is quite glaring. I believe they need to be called out on that," Palin said.

Ross said after the vote that he would have been a good attorney general but will now go back to private practice as a lawyer.

"I got up this morning, I said 'Lord, whatever you've got in mind is fine,' and he let us know what he had in mind," he said.

"I had a neat office for two and a half weeks and I was attorney general under the law for two and a half weeks for the state of Alaska. And the big question I have now is whether they will put my picture up with the other (former attorney generals) for only two and a half weeks' service," Ross said.
    http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/762037.html

Elite Member

"I think he is too controversial for the state of Alaska. We've got in some people's mind a controversial governor and I think that he just has too many controversies out there," said House Speaker Mike Chenault, a Nikiski Republican.
    Oh, snap! From a Republican, no less. That's a nice way of saying she was exposed as a dumbass narcissistic attention whore.

Like she wouldn't know anything about "politics of personal destruction"? Ayers? Terrorists? Palling around? Non-American parts of America?

Palin said the legislators who voted no didn't make themselves look good by rejecting an attorney general who strongly supports the issues important to Alaskans - gun rights, constitutional rights and developing the state's resources.
    If this idiot was so concerned with what was important to Alaskans she'd do her damn job for a change.

Thumbs up

Nice to see that the Alaska legislature wasn't a rubber stamp this go around.

Do you like how she just slipped that in there?

“I believed I knew what Alaskans wanted when I selected an individual who is a strong backer of 2nd Amendment rights, a staunch supporter of the state Constitution and a defender of life,”

a defender of life, with WAR as a license plate.. no doubt he likes the death penalty too.

WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID, BITCH
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wayne Anthony Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    a defender of life, with WAR as a license plate.. no doubt he likes the death penalty too.

WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID, BITCH
    It always amazes me the irony in that.

We all know that Governor Palin was quite taken with the idea of having Wayne Anthony Ross as her new Attorney General. He apparently had all the things Alaskans look for in a candidate for the head of the Department of Law.

“I believed I knew what Alaskans wanted when I selected an individual who is a strong backer of 2nd Amendment rights, a staunch supporter of the state Constitution and a defender of life,” Governor Palin said. “Wayne Anthony Ross supports responsible, ethical development of Alaska’s rich resources.

And we all know that for the first time ever, a governor’s attorney general appointment got voted down in the legislature. And it got voted WAY down 35-23. I picture some kind of large fuel-laden aircraft doing a perfect nose dive right into the ground. Guess the governor was wrong about what Alaskans want.

So what was the reason for this?

His own mediocre performance?

The fact that his anti-subsistence, anti sovereignty statements had every major Native group in the state denouncing him?

The fact that he called gays “degenerates” and “immoral,” refused to take it back, instead creating a delightfully lame analogy comparing the gay community to lima beans (which he ”hates”) to make us all feel better?

The fact that multiple members of the community stood up with stories and quotes from Ross’ past that were not only sexist, but misogynistic to the highest degree?

The fact that he told the legislature not to worry their pretty little heads about whether a new senate appointment from the governor was legal or illegal?

The fact that he wrote a letter denying that he’d ever said that, right before the audio of him saying exactly that was released?

The fact that the selection of this utterly controversial, divisive and inappropriate candidate happened in the first place?

No no no. According to Palin, it was the bloggers.

Gov. Sarah Palin is blaming bloggers and lies for the defeat of her attorney general nominee, who the Alaska Legislature refused to confirm last week.

“A great problem was public lies were told about Mr. Ross,” she said.

Palin declined to say whose lies undermined Ross, citing the blogosphere and e-mails from members of the public.

Wow. So, it’s our fault. Because, you see, if the bloggers and the rest of the media weren’t so damned nosy, and interested in what was going on in our government, and weren’t sitting behind our keyboards running our mouths all the time, then people wouldn’t have gotten so upset about it.

It’s kind of like when Wayne Anthony Ross pointed out that there wouldn’t be such a problem with domestic violence, if women would just keep their mouths shut. I guess it kind of works the same way. There wouldn’t be such a problem with her appointments if the bloggers and constituents would just keep their mouths shut. Now, I see.

Perhaps the strangest part of Palin’s statement was this:

The one example she cited was “he being engaged in a machine gun shoot on somebody’s property down in Seward, and there were witnesses to such a thing, and he’d never been there,” she said. “That’s just one example.”

Sen. Hollis French, D-Anchorage, is a former assistant attorney general who led the fight against Ross on the floor of the Legislature. He questioned whether anyone had heard the Seward machine gun allegation at the time.

“I don’t believe I knew anything about that, and it certainly never came up in floor debate,” French said.

Right after this story came out in the Juneau Empire, there was a sudden flutter of emails between a bunch of progressive bloggers in Alaska. They all basically said, “Machine guns? HUH?” There was plenty of dirt on Wayne Anthony Ross, but this was a new one to us. That’s not to say that an Alaskan politician at a machine gun shoot is an outrageous claim. Heck, just last summer the Congressman for All Alaska, Don Young, was the guest of honor a little machine gun fundraiser for his campaign in Seward. Those gun totin’ Republicans shook windows and rattled doors all over the sleepy little hamlet causing multiple panicked calls to local police.

“I had no clue about what was happening,” neighbor Mary Fackler said about the first shoot. “It just started as machine gun chatter like small bombs.”

Her granddaughter, who was sitting at the table doing her homework, turned to her and said, “Gramma, are we in a war?”

According to the organizer:

“It was nice.”… “People ate turkey and potato salad, and there was a fire pit with marshmallows and smores and homemade lemonade.”

“This was a fun thing to do on a Thursday afternoon,” Lorenz said.

The entire article is worth a read. Terrifying explosions? Potato salad and lemonade? It’s all who you ask. The event, whether Ross was there or not, was perfectly legal, and certainly wouldn’t have caused Alaska’s 2nd Amendment Republicans to jump ship and vote against him. But, I digress.

In reality, there were many components to the rejection of Wayne Anthony Ross, the most obvious being Palin’s poor judgement, Ross’ poor judgement, and Ross’ behavior. And bloggers could have been posting 24/7, but without mainstream media coverage, courageous public testimony, a citizenry who was paying attention and who made their voices heard, or a legislature that was paying attention and acted in the best interest of its constituents, he’d be using State of Alaska letterhead right now.

So, even though we bloggers were only a piece in the puzzle, it’s still awful nice of the governor to give us all the credit, and it’s rude not to acknowledge a compliment. So, if I may be so bold as to speak for Alaska bloggers, we’ll just look down and scratch our toe in the dirt, blush a little and say, “Aw, shucks.”

UPDATE: Hat tip to Mudflatter “curioser” who found a reference to the original machine gun shoot held at the Lorenz property in 2006. It featured…. Wayne Anthony Ross. Here’s the link. 2008 August | Seward City News - Part 2 Way to master the Google!
    The Mudflats » Palin Explains Ross’ Defeat - It’s the Bloggers, Stupid.
    Last edited by WhoAmI; April 21st, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

More of Palin's whining. It's the only thing she knows how to do.

ROFL

my god, how stupid can she be? How could ANYBODY have voted for her?

She's so mindbendingly dumb!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Dumb, all right, you betcha! Let's go shoot some pajama-clad bloggers with machine guns!

I think this will be her first and last term as Alaska's Mooserator.

Please.

Thread Information