Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallville

Eli

Default Smallville

I know you guys in the US are into season 6 now, but in Australia I just saw the end of season 4- AWESOME!!

Anybody else a hard-core fan of Smallville? It's one of the best shows in the past decade.

I watch it on DVD-not live TV.

I just finished Season 5.

I like the campy-ness of it but sometimes I want to slap Clark upside the head. His dad tends to annoy too. Actually all the characters annoy except Lex who I think is the most complex character on the show.

I won't spoil 5 for you but it gets interesting.

Eli

I've read things.
    I don't know why I love Smallville. I mean, when it first started it was such a simple kind of show. SO cheesy and predictable, but then as the seasons went on it became more mature and intelligent. But I still appreciate the odd predictable, fun episode in amongst the continuing storylines.
    My favourite is Chloe. I actually want her and Clark to get together instead of Little-Miss-Lost-In-Season-4 (Lana) or Lois. She's so smart, and nice.
    And Clark IS stupid! Even Tom Welling agrees.

You guys are so lucky in America, because this show has been through hell in Australia. Not to mention the AWFUL ads the network that airs it keeps churning out.
    They don't tell you the point of the next episode, they just recycle the same lines with new footage. "Lex is EVIL." "Superman's DESTINY." "The JOURNEY of Superman."
    I'm just like 'yeah yeah we're over it, tell us what happens next week!'

Eli

I've just had a two day marathon of four episodes which occured after "Reunion" and I am absolutely flabbergasted. Is it just me, or does Channel 10 (Australia, for those who hail from Oz) somehow diminish the amazing quality of this program? Watching it in Hi-Def downloads is just incredible, I can't quite pick up on what it is.

Anyway, about the episodes I saw (only aired a few months ago in the US):

Fallout:
    A terrific episode I felt. A lot happened. Bow-Wow was good, didn't even realise it was him until the opening credits.
    The only thing I didn't understand was why Bow-Wow's posessed body was sweating. I assumed that all the energy he expelled from his palms was doing terrible things to his mortal body.
    Rhia dying was a little sad, but crap she looks just like that other female that was in the season 3 finale.
    I am really liking Jimmy! It was sad that Lex had him fired, but at least he still works (even if it is in the basement, lol). I like Chloe being with him because he's not complicated like Clark and she's happy for once. Even though I still want her to be with Clark, even if it is only for a little while.
    Of course the most important part was when Clark decided that he would finally train with Jor-El, but not before capturing or destroying all the Phantoms. Scary stuff!
    I seem to concentrate better with downloads too.

Rage:
    Cool episode. I love that Lois doesn't know about Oliver yet. It was so fun and back to original formula (of movies, not the show) when she walked into the room and saw Ollie, but he was turned away from her and she thought it was just the Green Arrow. Pity she got hurt.
    Lionel and Martha... am I the only one who wants them to get together?? I know I shouldn't, but I'm beginning to trust him.
    Chloe is becoming such an integral character to this show. If I were the producers, in the credits I'd have Tom listed first, then Michael, and then Allison, because Lana isn't that important any more.
    Oliver's 'drug habits' was the weak part to the storyline I believe, but the "arrow/bullet" scene was terrific! This show has the best special FX/visuals I have ever seen on a TV show, sometimes even better than movie FX.
    I have to say I was completely touched with the Thanksgiving scene at the end. To look at how far Clark has come from the beginning of the series where he only really trusted in his mother and father, to now where he has lifelong friends who he can trust... just beautiful. I felt so sad though, as Jonathan was clearly missed.
    And Lana, pregnant!!? How insane.

Static:
    Completely freaky episode with lots of suspense, and even gore (was that the man's spine that bad guy ripped out? Ew).
    Lana and Lex's relationship went to a deeper level.
    Jimmy and Chloe, same old adorable ways. But they were such a huge part to this storyline, that for the first time I only realised Lois was missing towards the END of the episode.
    After all of the episodes foreshadowing the Superman storyline we all know, it was good to have an episode which was sort of reminiscent of the first few seasons. But I have noticed suddenly that they are bringing the "meteor freak" theme back into play, especially with Chloe mentioning it all the time. I can't help but wonder if there is something going on there, as if this theme is being revisited in the future, or if something involving Chloe or Lionel and meteor freaks is about to happen. Anyway, extremely classic episode. One thing the Smallville writers never run out of is original ideas. I mean, 'Static Lex'!? Who in their right mind would come up with such a great idea?

Subterranean:
    Another good episode, which until the middle of the episode was almost lacking completely in the supernatural. It was like an episode of Touched by an Angel crossed with Cold Case or something. Javier (?) was good, it was nice how Clark rescued him, but I have to say I was completely freaked out by that farmer who would disappear into the ground and kill people. That mass grave of immigrants was very scary, particularly when Clark x-rayed the ground and saw all of the skeletons. Disturbing in so many ways. There's no way this show would get a PG rating on Australian TV.
    I was glad Lana left for Amsterdam, but I have to admit her character is finally getting a good storyline. Her as a sort of "bad guy" was a little bit too much for me to believe at first, because she was so nice in the beginning, but now Lex seems to be rubbing off on her and I think they are perfect together. But I almost feel sorry for her, because obviously she will not stay with him forever...
    Jimmy! Chloe! Again! Love them, I hope they last they are just sooo adorable. I could kiss them. I can't believe Jimmy thought Clark was jealous of him! Too cute! (Although people have spoken online about Clark being jealous, I haven't actually seen that to be honest. He obviously doesn't like Chloe in that way... yet.) Anyway, Jimmy's such a dork. I love how he makes a fool of himself with Javier.
    Jimmy: "Javier! You. Have. Not. Experienced. America. Until You've Experienced. Pepperoni. Pizza."
    Javier: "Isn't pizza from Italy?"
    Jimmy: "Uh... Well, that's a common misconception. We came up with the... cheese... angle."
    I love how he always calls Chloe his 'girl', and Clark his 'bro', like he's trying to be cool and down with it. Hilarious stuff.
    Clark and Lana's little quarrel at the end was just the icing on top of the insanely good episodic cake. And then to see that area 33.1 existed. Oh, that song they played. I love it.
    Smallville is the only show I've come across that excells and builds upon itself with every passing season. It's one of the best programs on the box (or computer screen). Not as many people realise this as it deserves, but as usual with excellent shows, this is the case.

Elite Member

I now have all the DVD sets of Smallville with the exception of Seaon 6, of course, that is still in progress here in Canada.

My favorite all-time episodes are Red, Exile, Pheonix, Mortal and Fanatic. (Red-K Clark is my favorite).

Eli

He's very very Red-K'd in Crimson, which I am going to watch this afternoon. I cannot wait!
    Tom Welling is still hot, even if he's pudgy. *drools*

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    He's very very Red-K'd in Crimson, which I am going to watch this afternoon. I cannot wait!
    Tom Welling is still hot, even if he's pudgy. *drools*
    OMG - how could I have forgotten Crimson. That's been my favorite this season.

Do you really think Tom looks pudgy? I think he looks more built and muscular every season. The man's been working out. (Not too mention he's 6 years older than when he started). I don't think those God-awful plaid shirts do him any favors either. Regardless, the man is the hottest guy on TV by far.

Eli

Apparently he's very shy and not as "girly" looking in real life, which is sort of good I guess.
    Btw, what's going on with his marriage. Seemed by the info I read, he married his "friend"... that sounded strange to me. And then I heard that last year was a seriously rough one for him because of his marriage "troubles"... that was months ago and now I haven't heard anything?
    P.S.: I think his wife looks like an evil goddess. What was he thinking!?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Apparently he's very shy and not as "girly" looking in real life, which is sort of good I guess.
    Btw, what's going on with his marriage. Seemed by the info I read, he married his "friend"... that sounded strange to me. And then I heard that last year was a seriously rough one for him because of his marriage "troubles"... that was months ago and now I haven't heard anything?
    P.S.: I think his wife looks like an evil goddess. What was he thinking!?
    I have to admit that I really admire Tom for how private he keeps his personal life - mainly out of respect for his wife. I've never believed the rumors of trouble in his marriage. He seems incredibly grounded - someone who I truly believe would put his marriage before his career if it came down to it. He's been with the same woman for almost 10 years and he's only 29. As to whoever circulates these rumors of 'trouble', I don't trust 'em or believe 'em. Tom's so intensely private (does he even do interviews or PR? LOL) that I can't imagine anyone except extremely close friends having any access to his personal life. From that, a lot of presumptions are made. He's the main character in the show. He needs to be on set 7 days a week apparently. I'm sure that alone would start a lot of rumors. He and Jaime seem like an extremely strong unit to me. The fact that they uprooted to Vancouver and love the peacefulness of it as opposed to LA speaks volumes to me. They're both probably one of the most solid marriages in celebrity world. I think that their need for privacy is the reason they're able to make their marriage work so I give them credit and respect them for that.

Eli

Today, on Easter day, it has been exactly 2000 days since Smallville first premiered back in October 2001.

I'm suprised its still on the air. I remember when it first aired everybody i knew was watching it but now its under the radar.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
    I'm suprised its still on the air. I remember when it first aired everybody i knew was watching it but now its under the radar.
    I'm a fairly new fan and find it one of the best shows on TV. It was nice to learn that Smallville broke Charmed's record for highest rated debut for The WB, with 8.4 million viewers tuning in for its pilot and its still going pretty strong today considering its into its 6th season.

I found this article around "TV ratings and predicting the Next Big Money Making Show" interesting. Here's a quote that I think sums up Smallville's popularity nicely.

Smallville is a show that you will never see on the Nielsen's Top 20. The appeal isn't that broad. However, it's viewers are about as loyal and internet savvy as you can get. Smallville typically ranks very high in the sales of their season DVDs amongst competitors. It's no wonder the show obtains such a high FPR (Fan Popularity Ranking).

Home Page Blog

Eli

When it started here in Australia it did OK but honest to God, I did not know one single person (and I was in high school!) who watched it besides from me.
    Now, a lot of people I know watch it. It's storylines are 10 times better than season 1 anyway, so that's a given.
    For all the cheesiness in the show, it's storylines are equal to Dynasty and the action's awesome.

Elite Member

^^ Yeah, and I don't think Tom Welling's looks hurt viewership either. LOL

Eli

LOL that picture always makes me laugh (most of season 4 does actually). I'm like: "Okay, he's flying... why is his shirt open?" I love that Tom has the smallest case of gynecomostia. It's so cwute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information