Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury and Queen Bio

Default Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury and Queen Bio

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Remember all those crazy Bryan Singer stories at the beginning of the year???

I want to see this movie so incredibly bad I can't stand it. Rami looks amazing.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I'm lukewarm on it ever since SBC left the project just because I believe that it will be a sanitized version of events.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It bothers me that the guy looks nothing like Freddy. I mean, weren't there rumors once that Sacha Baron Cohen was going to be involved in some kind of Queen/Freddy project? He'd look more like him, but he's way too tall. This guy, I don't know him, he may be a good actor, but the look..... I know it's hard to find someone with the right resemblance to public figures, and that the acting is at least as important but still. This guy looks like he went into a party shop where they sell Halloween masks etc. and went for "The Freddy Mercury kit".
    Last edited by HWBL; October 8th, 2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

He can act. I'd rather have that than someone who looks the part but is unable to portray the person's character.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    He can act. I'd rather have that than someone who looks the part but is unable to portray the person's character.
    That's why Lou Diamond Phillips was cast as Ritchie Valens; though he looked NOTHING like him. He captured the "spirit" of Ritchie, according to Ritchie's mother, who had a major say-so in who played her late son.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    It bothers me that the guy looks nothing like Freddy. I mean, weren't there rumors once that Sacha Baron Cohen was going to be involved in some kind of Queen/Freddy project? He'd look more like him, but he's way too tall. This guy, I don't know him, he may be a good actor, but the look..... I know it's hard to find someone with the right resemblance to public figures, and that the acting is at least as important but still. This guy looks like he went into a party show where they sell Halloween masks etc. and went for "The Freddy Mercury kit".

Rami Malek is a very good actor - I might be biased, though, because my daughter has a crush on him. He had gotten a lot of acclaim lately for a series called "Mr. Robot", which I think was about hackers or something.

The surviving members of Queen, especially Brian May, were very down on Cohen. Both his comedy background and the way he wanted to do the role.

I get what you are saying about Malek's features, but I would trust May as an arbiter of who has the correct physiognomy and interpretation of Mercury. Mercury's features were so unusual (particularly, the uncorrected protruding teeth) that I doubt they would ever find someone who looked like him without using prosthetics.

I would really have loved to see SBC do this role. I thought he was also an underrated actor who could do serious. To me, he could easily channel Freddie Mercury.

He may be a good actor, but Malek's look (looks too short, super bulging eyes) messes with my suspension of disbelief.

*edit after reading Mo's comment: what struck me the most from the clips is how Malek falls short on the enormous stage presence and command of the audience that Freddie had. From the little I saw, he couldn't project it like Freddie could. That is particularly what I think SBC could do easily. But it's true that I guess Brian May would have a better sense of how well SBC could do the other off-stage side of Freddie. I remain a little disappointed.

Still want to go see this really badly.
    HWBL likes this.

I just saw the trailer. I think the rock star that Malek was probably born to play is Mick Jagger.
    HWBL and Bluebonnet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

Rami Malek is a very good actor - I might be biased, though, because my daughter has a crush on him. He had gotten a lot of acclaim lately for a series called "Mr. Robot", which I think was about hackers or something.

The surviving members of Queen, especially Brian May, were very down on Cohen. Both his comedy background and the way he wanted to do the role.

I get what you are saying about Malek's features, but I would trust May as an arbiter of who has the correct physiognomy and interpretation of Mercury. Mercury's features were so unusual (particularly, the uncorrected protruding teeth) that I doubt they would ever find someone who looked like him without using prosthetics.
    Yeah, but it was the eyes. Freddy had gorgeous, expressive, eyes and this guy's eyes are about to pop out of his head.

And if it weren't for his horrible overbite, Freddy would have been quite a handsome guy; hell, he was even good looking if you ignored his teeth.

***** celeb

Amazing performance at Wembley Stadium (Wiki: "Queen's performance has been voted – by more than 60 artists, journalists and music industry executives – the greatest live performance in the history of rock"):

^Didn't he have laryngitis? I think he got a shot before the show.

Ya gotta love his prancing. I know the other acts were stunned and in awe.

Last edited by HWBL; October 8th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
    MohandasKGanja and Bluebonnet like this.

***** celeb

^^^ Yes, there was something wrong with him at the time, I just can't remember what it was exactly. It was dubbed the greatest live rock performance of all time.

I am an enormous Freddie Mercury/Queen fan. I loved Freddie since I was a little girl (my parents were hippies when I was little and I was exposed to most of the best music from that era) and I remember being weepy for days after he passed. I'm excited to see this version (there have been a few Freddie documentaries over the years). About the whatever actor was ultimately chosen .... NO ONE was going to be able to replicate Freddie Mercury. He was such a unique and incredibly talented person, with very unique looks as well, that anyone trying to replicate him would fail.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    ^Didn't he have laryngitis? I think he got a shot before the show.

Ya gotta love his prancing. I know the other acts were stunned and in awe.

I have always been fascinated by the song "Who Wants to Live Forever?". Because I remember Mercury looking really sick when he sang it, and I kind of assumed he wrote it as an incredibly poignant swan song for a life that was cut unnaturally short. But I heard it being played during the beginning of "Highlander" and looked it up. And saw that Brian May had written it for the movie. It's still really great but has a different meaning, which is "what the hell is the point of living forever if the love of your life is mortal?" I mean, that is just f*cking awesome. [Sniffle, sniffle.]
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information