• 4 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By funky_chicken
  • 3 Post By Sleuth
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By HWBL
  • 3 Post By dexter7

Thread: Pets are empaths?

Default Pets are empaths?

This topic came up while we were having breakfast. When our daughter had her wisdom teeth out two weeks ago, we helped her back into the house and positioned her on the living room couch to recuperate. Our dog came in and start trembling almost uncontrollably. We placed him on top of her and wrapped them both in blankets, where they stayed for hours.

Mrs Mo also reminded me that when she had her foot surgery, and was laid up on the couch for hours and hours, the dog would come in and just lay on top of her all day.

It's pretty wild, but I think I read somewhere that 50% of communication is non verbal.
    czb, Heidi Ho 2.0, fgg and 5 others like this.

I can believe that. Pets are amazing. Right after my dad died, our dog would not leave my mother's side. For weeks, she was glued to her basically 24/7.
    I don't know about cats because my cat already thinks he's a dog and follows me around like a shadow most of the day so I don't see how he could be even more attached.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

They are empaths and have feelings and emotions, too. When my mom died, our almost non-shedding Doodle began suffering from hair loss and one day threw up and the vomit had a suspicious color so we collected it and asked the vet if it could be blood. Sure enough it was blood, so she went through all possibilities: did she eat something sharp or whatever. We answered all questions with no and the vet's last question was if something stressful or emotional had happened. We couldn't think of something for the dog so we said something like no, except that my mom had died some weeks earlier. Then they tested her and it turned out she had an ulcer from emotional distress; the dog was in mourning, too!!!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

fgg

i absolutely think animals - my experience being dogs - know when their humans need comfort and are going through something. just another thing that makes them so wonderful!
    czb, HeartShapedBox, palta and 2 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I think so as well, experienced similar things. Mostly smaller things like for example yesterday, both me and my husband were so exhausted and kinda napped the whole day, and our dog did the same. Didn't need to go for big walkies, was just happy sleeping with us on the couch. It's abolutely not usual for her.
    HWBL, fgg, palta and 1 others like this.
    -

I still am amazed at the fact that we thought we were losing our little dog in June of 2019. He had contracted some kind of liver issue, and he was staggering around and the vet didn't think he would last the night. She even gave us pricing for cremation services. Even though the vet said that he would be in a lot of pain toward the end and having seizures when that happened, we took him home that night (we had the phone and address of an all-night vet, just in case). And then, somehow, he got over whatever he had. There were times in the first few months where he seemed like a zombie dog and had had a personality transplant. But now? It's been 18 months and you would never know something had happened to him.

The ironic part is that I will bring this up every once in a while to our daughter (she was with me at the vet when we got that misdiagnosis) and go "Isn't this great? He's still running around like a puppy!" And she replies don't bring it up because it was such a devastating experience for her.

Anyway, our dog seems to pick out who in the family needs him the most and then spend hours with them. From what I hear, very rare for a Chihuahua.
    lindsaywhit, fgg, palta and 1 others like this.

See, that is what scares me the most. When the time comes where I'll have to decide if it's time to let the dog go. I mean, 50/50 chance I would have said "free him" to the vet in your situation. Horrifying thought! But so happy for you how it turned out! I guess you had a good gut feeling about it all.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    -

your dog is so cute, Mo!
    i'm glad the is doing ok.

i have a cat, so you know how that goes, she can be the sweetest companion in the world, or she can spend the whole day sleeping in the bedroom only coming out to eat lol

My cat is mostly a snotty bitch. She has never been much of a lap cat and usually has a judgemental look on her face. The other week, I was having some back aches while I was working. My cat forced her way onto my office chair with me and settled herself against my back and started purring. My back actually felt so much better afterwards.
    HWBL, lindsaywhit and dexter7 like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    See, that is what scares me the most. When the time comes where I'll have to decide if it's time to let the dog go. I mean, 50/50 chance I would have said "free him" to the vet in your situation. Horrifying thought! But so happy for you how it turned out! I guess you had a good gut feeling about it all.
    Part of it was really that the rest of the family hadn't gotten a chance to say goodbye to him. The vet left the office to get the price list (for cremation) and we had both been crying (me, BRIEFLY, LOL) and our daughter turned to me and said, "We're having him put to sleep now?" And I looked at her and said, "What?? No. We're going to take him home so everyone can see him. I'm not going to take him to the shelter and tell your mom and brother 'yeah, we put him to get looked at and then had him put down without you getting a chance to see him'." God, what a great decision. He wasn't in any obvious discomfort, just completely discombobulated and urinating dark orange.
    HWBL and palta like this.

Another example of their empathy and feelings: https://fb.watch/36nvsAz5Iz/
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Another example of their empathy and feelings: https://fb.watch/36nvsAz5Iz/
    Wow, that is a very bittersweet clip.

Yes, and now being reminded I'm going to go find all 9 cats and give them a quick snuggle because almost all of them have been up my ass in one way or the other, and I've not had the patience to appreciate them trying to help me.

I love the story about your dog's magical healing Mo. And the picture is adorable.

I remember the night before our dog died I finally lost it. He had been deteriorating for months, and I kept myself stoic, but had stayed with him whenever I could. Asshole ex was angry at me for not going to watch his band play for months, but I couldn't justify putting the dog in the kennel all day while we both worked, coming home from work to let the dog come out of the kennel for an hour or two, and then putting back him to watch the band play on Saturday nights. When he was just a happy senior dog it was okay, but he had chronic diaherrea and back/leg pain at the end, and I wasn't going to do that to him. Anyway, once we finally decided to take him to put him down, and it was the night before, I couldn't bear it. I went into the bedroom, and cried like a baby. My ex came in with the dog after a bit, and said puppers was whining, and more alert than he had been in days. Poor guy sensed my pain, and wanted to comfort ME. Makes me cry all over again.
    HWBL, Trixie and palta like this.

Thread Information