Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Nevan
  • 2 Post By Waterslide

Thread: Snapping turtle extravaganza

Default Snapping turtle extravaganza

This is a pond near my kids' former elementary school. Our daughter has been going with here with her friends occasionally to check out the turtles and giant tadpoles. And fish. I had no idea there was so many of everything, though. She said that snapping turtles ate apples, and she was right....

Brookie and twitchy2.0 like this.

I HATE THEM!!! I don’t know what their whole range is but they are throughout the Pine Barrens. My older cousins would set lines out for them and then make snapper soup. They’d toss all the heads over by where we had our potty spot and invariably someone would get bit (my little sister did one year). They still bite and are aware even though they’ve been beheaded. One year, I fell into a snapper slide. Cranberry bogs are generally man made square lakes throughout the bog. They flood the bogs when the cranberries are ripe and then just skim the cranberries off the top with a farming machine. There are no shores to these “lakes” and at the edge, it just ends. I don’t understand the mechanics of it (or they’ve been lost to my memory holes), but I’m pretty sure the slides are there because the snapper can’t just jump into the “lake”. The slides are much deeper than the rest of the bog and they’re usually right at the corner (where the dams are too). I fell into one when I was getting out of the rowboat. Nobody understood that I was in serious trouble .... plus I was terrified of running into a snapper because those assholes are vicious. My cousin finally scooped me out (I was about 10 or 11) and I was nearly hysterical. Two things in my life made me terrified of bodies of water where I can’t see the bottom, and this event was one of them.

Tell her to stay away from them!! They are nasty as hell and if they’re on land, they sometimes just mosey on over to check you out. Their heads look like uncircumcized penises. They can grow to be huge too. Definitely do not handle them, even if they’re just little guys. If they’re fishing and accidentally hook one, cut the line and go. Not worth losing a fingertip.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

I love turtles, but the snapping ones are mean old grouches.

I just saw a warning sign for turtles on the road the other day which was odd. They're re-introducing native grasses and prairie back into the suburban sprawl and I guess we're getting turtles and frogs back for our efforts.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I HATE THEM!!! I don’t know what their whole range is but they are throughout the Pine Barrens. My older cousins would set lines out for them and then make snapper soup. They’d toss all the heads over by where we had our potty spot and invariably someone would get bit (my little sister did one year). They still bite and are aware even though they’ve been beheaded. One year, I fell into a snapper slide. Cranberry bogs are generally man made square lakes throughout the bog. They flood the bogs when the cranberries are ripe and then just skim the cranberries off the top with a farming machine. There are no shores to these “lakes” and at the edge, it just ends. I don’t understand the mechanics of it (or they’ve been lost to my memory holes), but I’m pretty sure the slides are there because the snapper can’t just jump into the “lake”. The slides are much deeper than the rest of the bog and they’re usually right at the corner (where the dams are too). I fell into one when I was getting out of the rowboat. Nobody understood that I was in serious trouble .... plus I was terrified of running into a snapper because those assholes are vicious. My cousin finally scooped me out (I was about 10 or 11) and I was nearly hysterical. Two things in my life made me terrified of bodies of water where I can’t see the bottom, and this event was one of them.

Tell her to stay away from them!! They are nasty as hell and if they’re on land, they sometimes just mosey on over to check you out. Their heads look like uncircumcized penises. They can grow to be huge too. Definitely do not handle them, even if they’re just little guys. If they’re fishing and accidentally hook one, cut the line and go. Not worth losing a fingertip.
    WTF! That is horrifying. I thought turtles were cute until now lol. Creeps me out when snakes still wiggle around after losing their heads.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Turtles are cute from a distance in the same way bears are...
    Sleuth and MohandasKGanja like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Thread Information