• 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 1 Post By funky_chicken
  • 1 Post By dksnj
  • 1 Post By sputnik

Thread: Pet Insurance

Default Pet Insurance

I’m about to get a new critter and want to get pet health insurance on him. Do any of y’all have insured pets and if so, who do you recommend?
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I'm interested too. I just spent $380 for an x-ray for my little puggle because he started limping. Nothing showed up and he's still limping but I feel better that I had him looked at. It's just so freaking expensive to have animals anymore.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I'm interested too. I just spent $380 for an x-ray for my little puggle because he started limping. Nothing showed up and he's still limping but I feel better that I had him looked at. It's just so freaking expensive to have animals anymore.

I know! My recently deceased kitty was diabetic for 6 years. I had no insurance on him either. Then once something is “pre existing” you can’t get insurance for them. 😢

I have this onehttp://https://www.petinsurance.com/ and luckily my dog has not had to have any serious medical procedures done. I pay $60 a month and I am terrible at submitting his claims to get reimbursed .I think the rates are based on the age and breed

Be careful with the fine print if you have a certain breed with predisposed illnesses. Lots of insurance won't cover the illnesses, but for accidents and such they will. I don't bother with our ferrets because most insurance won't cover terminal illnesses that ferrets in the US get. My dad had insurance on an English Bulldog and insurance wouldn't cover an issue because the breed was known to get it.

There was a good thread on reddit awhile back. Someone did a lot of comparisons and it looked like nationwide was the worst. I don’t remember the best. I’ve heard that embrace and trupanion are both good. We’re looking into it since the pup is coming up on 8 months.

Plus, you have to look into plans for different things. The older they are, the more exclusions the policies have. Also, look for common illnesses and conditions that are specific to your breed, or more common in your breed. Like my dog is a lab, so we’ll want to make sure things like ACL’s are covered. Things like that.

Pet insurance is a scam, even worse than human insurance.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

We have Heathy Paws for our golden retriever. We pay almost fifty dollars a month.

Yeah, pet insurance more reminds me of auto insurance. I've put more money into auto insurance over the last 30 years than I've taken out in claims. If you're good at budgeting, you'd be better off putting that money into a savings account for pet emergencies. However, a lot of us run into pretty expensive vet bills early on in pet ownership. I've had two family members have to do ACL repairs on their dogs. Both legs and neither had insurance. Both of them ended up well over $6000. My friend had insurance and paid similar and was reimbursed for all but $900. Her dog was young when he had the surgery.

I guess it all depends on the cost of the monthly premium and how long you'll be paying into it for your pet.
    Mrs P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartShapedBox View Post
    We have Heathy Paws for our golden retriever. We pay almost fifty dollars a month.
    That’s more than I pay for my 300k life insurance policy.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I got a good one, but I live in Europe, so I don't think I can help you, sorry! Just what everybody else said, read the fine print carefully. Over here, after your pet is 5 years old, you can't get an insurance anymore. My dog is 12 now and had a lot of issues lately, and they paid for everything. Even accupuncture.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    -

I have Nationwide for both my dogs. I get a discount for it through my job. My one dog is on prescription meds for allergies that cost $80/month. After I meet my $250 injury/illness deductible, I get reimbursed $75/month. I also get 90% of my well visits (immunizations/flea/tick preventive) covered.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

My vet recommended trupanion and embrace. He also said that pet insurance is far from perfect but that you’re better off with it than without. I ended up with embrace just because it seemed more user friendly. so far so good but my cat is super healthy (knock on wood).
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information