• 9 Post By denny
  • 1 Post By palta
  • 1 Post By Witchywoman
  • 1 Post By denny
  • 1 Post By albatross
  • 2 Post By denny

Thread: All my pets

Default All my pets

In order not to spam other threads, I want to devote a thread for all the pets in my life. I love them so dearly.
    I want to write about Mäusi (my mother's cat). (And later maybe about my own three cats Indy, Pina and Flicka. My boyfriend's cat Paula, my three axolotls and my first dog Sappho.)

I already posted in the other thread, there is sad news for my mother's cat Mäusi (it's a form of Mausi, because she has mouse coloured hair, she is a Russian blue mix.)

The blood values all came back with nothing to worry about.
    But the ultrasound a week later came back with horrendous results. It showed many shadows in the lungs. The vet explained that he is almost sure it is a tumor that is also squeezing her heart.
    In the next steps the cat could be sedated to take a sample from her lungs to determine the growth, but it would risk her lungs collapsing. The cat is also already so weak she wouldn't survive chemotherapy.

So she got a cortisone injection to boost her appetite. She is eating too little lately and she's got flu symptoms.
    My mom was in tears when I came home from the vet and told her.
    I had to hold it in myself and stay strong, what a wonderful kitty. I so love her. She is now pampered to no end, we do everything now to make her eat more. She gets the best of all food, she has luscious fresh cat grass to chew on and I bought a heating pad for the microwave that stays warm for 10 hours to sit on.
    Hope is a fragile little thing. I still have enough hope that she will stay around for some time, but nobody knows how long she will be there after all. She is a tough little cookie.

When I left (I live a 2.5 hours drive away), I talked to her, thanked her for accompanying my mom through many bad times, told her how strong she is and that she is loved, I petted her chest and she purred really long and intensely. I knew she understood everything I said.
    I now call my mum daily and will drive there again on Tuesday. My mom told me how Mäusi was sitting in the sun on the balcony, eating something and cuddling a lot.

Writing all this makes me cry again. All those damn pets are too good for us humans, they understand so much, they don't make a fuss about problems like we do, they just enlighten us with their existence.
    “You think I look like like a clown?” Kourtney shot back. “Well, you look you just won the Tour de France and you’re cycling around town.”

I'm so sorry to hear that, denny.
    denny likes this.

Thank you all! I try to contact a naturopath to support and complement her regular palliative care. I so hope she will die in peace at home somewhen. She so deserves it. One oft the best! I imagine all her ancestors awaiting her in heaven with Palm tree leaves and mice as gifts. Finally coming home to Rest after a long journey on
    earth.

denny, you are a good daughter and good momma to your babies. It gets so sad at the end. When my first dog died, life was so dark I had to go into therapy.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your furbabies.
    denny likes this.

So sorry, I was gone for a while, but now I'm back. Thank you all for your kind words! It really means a lot to me.

Mäusi is better now. She had full blown cat flu the first two weeks of February that broke out due to her immune system's weakness. But an antibiotic cure took hold of that and now it's thankfully gone. Poor kitty had to sneeze so much, it was running down her throat too. It got immediately better after the first shot at the vet. After the antibiotic cure, she also got shot of a mild pain killer which helped to ease the pain in her shoulders.
    I brought her different kinds of soft wet food with sauce to see what she would like as she had to gain weight. She now likes to eat some saucy stuff that comes in little tins, still eats little from it, but she comes meowing when she sees me open it. And she loves tuna! That's the only time I really see her eating a full meal. The naturopath said that not to feed too much of it, because it may contain heavy metals and bad stuff, but I think that if the cat will live two or three years more, it won't hurt that she fills up on tuna twice a week. She needs the protein for her muscles and inner organs.
    I also bought her some recovery supplements for nourishment and strength, but she's a fussy eater, so she only licks some of it while my own cats go crazy for this stuff .
    So she's stable at the moment and started to become more active again, more purring, sitting close or on my mum's body again. She turned to her old self that means being loyal and open to my mum while running away when seeing me or other strangers I'm the bad woman who takes her to unpleasant trips to the vet. But once in a while I can cuddle up with her too and pet her for a longer time. She's a good purr-er and has such a kind soft and pleasant character.

I took a lot of pictures of her and will soon upload some - maybe via imgur, have to find a good place to upload them easily. I also want to show you my own sweet fur babies and axolotl. They are all such fine pets. My little cat Indy always lies next to me at night in bed, so I often fall asleep with my hand on her back, feeling her vibrate with loud purrs. The other two are also close to me, lyng mostly at my feet. Sometimes it's hard to move around with so much weight on my blanket. Such awesome creatures. Boyfriend is away during the week so they keep me good company.

(It was a lot to handle the last 3 weeks with working long shifts, visiting mum, the long hours of driving, taking care of Mäusi, going to the vet, all the while cleaning up my mum's messed up flat. (We didn't have real close contact the last years.) Driving back home at night, getting up at 6 a.m. the next day to work 12 hour-shifts with an asshole client and boss. I handed in my notice and my contract ended last week. Finally free to breathe, taking care of myself and looking for a better work environment.)
    Brookie likes this.
    “You think I look like like a clown?” Kourtney shot back. “Well, you look you just won the Tour de France and you’re cycling around town.”

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I brought her different kinds of soft wet food with sauce to see what she would like as she had to gain weight. She now likes to eat some saucy stuff that comes in little tins, still eats little from it, but she comes meowing when she sees me open it. And she loves tuna! That's the only time I really see her eating a full meal. The naturopath said that not to feed too much of it, because it may contain heavy metals and bad stuff, but I think that if the cat will live two or three years more, it won't hurt that she fills up on tuna twice a week. She needs the protein for her muscles and inner organs.
    Be careful with human tuna. It's ok as an occasional treat, but it's not nutritionally complete for a cat, it can actually lead to malnutrition, and the high levels of unsaturated fat in tuna can cause a vitamin E deficiency. Mercury is also a concern because mercury builds up in the body.

Tuna made for cats contains other ingredients in addition to the tuna and includes extra vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
    denny likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Oh, thank you. I didn't know that. So the naturopath was right too. I will look out for cat tuna then. I didn't know there was a difference for us humans. I was just so desperate for this cat to finally find something she likes to eat...

So here are some of the promised pics. I will start with my own cats. The pics of Mäusi are still on the new phone and I need the bf to come and show me how to upload them from there. And I need to take pictures of the axolotl with a proper camera - aquarium are hard to photograph without the right exposure.

These are Indy and Pina. They are sisters. Their mum died very early and my former flatmate brought them home from his mom's village, as nobody wanted them. I think they must have been around 7 weeks when they came to us. We kept them on a heating pad for a long time, they had to fight cat flu and other things. Thankfully a neighbour's cat came to visit and gave them some much needed momma care, showing them cat behaviour and everything. They are grown up now but remained small cats, I think due to the lack of real mother milk. It also took some visits to the vet to fight back the flue. Today they are really healthy cats, they love to go outside - we live in the countryside - the catch and eat mice and unfortunately a bird here and there.

This is Flicka. She was among the neighbour's new born kittens. I looked after the litter because the neighbour was away on excavation. After some time observing the litter, I realised, she wasn't getting any milk from the mum, even if I put her right in front of mom's nipple to suck on. She had already given up sucking and was apathetic. I still don't know why this happened - there were only 3 kittys in the litter and enough nipples to suck on, no competitors or fights. So I bottle-fed her several times a day to make her gain weight. It was hard at first because she didn't want to suck from the bottle too but I was persistent and she finally drank and gained weight and came back again to her strength. She then could finally play and romp around with her brother and sister. And that's how I came around to take her because we had bonded so much with all the bottle feeding. Today she is the biggest cat of all three I named her Flicka - a Swedish name meaning "little girl" - after the book I read as a child "My friend Flicka" by Mary O'Hara. In this book, a boy saves a young horse that was doomed to die by nursing it back to health.

yanna and albatross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    Oh, thank you. I didn't know that. So the naturopath was right too. I will look out for cat tuna then. I didn't know there was a difference for us humans. I was just so desperate for this cat to finally find something she likes to eat...
    I've been there, and when you're trying to get a cat to eat, seeing them gobble it up is the greatest thing in the world. I've used tuna to get a cat eating and then I used it to transition the cat to cat tuna.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Thread Information