Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Last Thanksgiving with my oldest ferret

Default Last Thanksgiving with my oldest ferret

My oldest ferret isn't doing too well. He's lived to 8.5 years, which is great in ferret years. Prior ferrets lived to 5 at most due to cancer or other terminal illnesses that ferrets are prone to. We lost his brother, from a different mother, about 4 years ago.

He's still chowing down like a champion, but back legs don't work and he can't see well, so is always running into things and having old man accidents on the floor. I'm prepared for it, but this little chap was Mr P's choice and favorite. He'll be gutted when the day comes.

In the meantime we're just spoiling him and assisting him with getting up and down the stairs, which he used to run so fast down. Oh, and assisting him onto and off of the couch. He's the only ferret allowed to sleep in the expensive faux fur throw. The other furkids are keeping him warm at night, since he's a bit on the skinny side now and shivers a lot. When the day comes, work will just have to accept it that I'm taking a day or two off.

Sorry for the depressing post, but it's on my mind every morning when I walk in to wake him up to eat. I'm not religious, but I do have a litter prayer saying please, have him be alive. Also our second car isn't currently working, so if something happens I'll have to get an Uber or Lyft to get him to the vet asap if it occurs when Mr P is at work.

Sorry for the rambling, just needed to get it out. Family thinks I'm crazy to care so much for an animal.

I’m so sorry. It sucks losing a fur baby.
    fgg likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

You are NOT crazy. I woke up the other morning sobbing, turned to my husband, and said, "If I live a really long life, I will have to live so many years without Sally." Even my kids think I love the dog more.

It's so unfair that we don't get to keep them longer. Every year they grow older is like a sad reminder. I'm sorry this will be your last Thanksgiving with your baby, but I hope it is a great one for him and for you! Spoil him rotten! I have never had a ferret so I don't know what they eat, but I hope he enjoys a bountiful dinner of whatever table scraps he is allowed. Just love him up as long as you can and enjoy it. My heart goes out to you and Mr. P.
    Mrs P, Fran, Trixie and 4 others like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Omg...I am so very sorry. I ADORE ferrets...I've had 5 during my life. They are the most wonderful pets to exist. I am so, so sorry.
    Mrs P and Fran like this.

I wish I could do something for your little guy... What's his name and colour? If you don't mind, I would include him in my daily prayers. I often visualise the pets and people I pray for, so "God/the universe" really really knows where the love has to be sent and it doesn't go to the wrong person or animal :-)

You are not crazy. it doesn't matter how little they are, they accompany us for many years of their life, they give us joy, warmth, fun and something to care for and to love. They help us grow and learn. They have individual personalities and their own little oddities. To them, we humans are their whole life and all they ever know. And after some time we must go on without them.

When my doggy died it was the worst day of my life, I walked through the city numb and lifeless and tried to drown my sadness with alcohol in order not to break down on the streets and cry and sob, it was so unfair he had to go. He was the best dog in the world and I still miss him to this day.

I hate death and I would do anything to stop it from happening ... at least if I could know for sure they are in love and freedom in the afterlife and they could give me little signs on earth about it, it would make things easier.
    sprynkles likes this.
    “You think I look like like a clown?” Kourtney shot back. “Well, you look you just won the Tour de France and you’re cycling around town.”

You're not alone Mrs P. I'll never forget when Tony Montana tried to charm the Columbia cartel out of killing him by introducing them to his pet ferret.

(In all seriousness, though, I know what it's like to lose a companion animal. It seems like they are only with us just a short time.... )
    Mrs P, BITTER and Sylkyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I wish I could do something for your little guy... What's his name and colour? If you don't mind, I would include him in my daily prayers. I often visualise the pets and people I pray for, so "God/the universe" really really knows where the love has to be sent and it doesn't go to the wrong person or animal :-)

You are not crazy. it doesn't matter how little they are, they accompany us for many years of their life, they give us joy, warmth, fun and something to care for and to love. They help us grow and learn. They have individual personalities and their own little oddities. To them, we humans are their whole life and all they ever know. And after some time we must go on without them.

When my doggy died it was the worst day of my life, I walked through the city numb and lifeless and tried to drown my sadness with alcohol in order not to break down on the streets and cry and sob, it was so unfair he had to go. He was the best dog in the world and I still miss him to this day.

I hate death and I would do anything to stop it from happening ... at least if I could know for sure they are in love and freedom in the afterlife and they could give me little signs on earth about it, it would make things easier.
    I'm not religous, but appreciate the thoughts. His name is Minty and he's a cinammon chevron ferret.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You're not alone Mrs P. I'll never forget when Tony Montana tried to charm the Columbia cartel out of killing him by introducing them to his pet ferret.

(In all seriousness, though, I know what it's like to lose a companion animal. It seems like they are only with us just a short time.... )
    Ha, the ferrets are my weapon for scaring away the in-laws and other family members!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Ha, the ferrets are my weapon for scaring away the in-laws and other family members!
    They really grew on me when I was looking up pictures of them to photoshop!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    They really grew on me when I was looking up pictures of them to photoshop!
    Your awesome photoshop skills were greatly appreciated!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

fgg

^mrs p - i am so sorry for what you are about to go through! much love to you, your husband and your ferret family during this time with minty!
    SHELLEE likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I am so sorry. (((((Hugs)))))

Elite Member

Oh, I'm so sorry. Enjoy Minty's remaining days.

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    You are NOT crazy. I woke up the other morning sobbing, turned to my husband, and said, "If I live a really long life, I will have to live so many years without Sally." Even my kids think I love the dog more.

It's so unfair that we don't get to keep them longer. Every year they grow older is like a sad reminder. I'm sorry this will be your last Thanksgiving with your baby, but I hope it is a great one for him and for you! Spoil him rotten! I have never had a ferret so I don't know what they eat, but I hope he enjoys a bountiful dinner of whatever table scraps he is allowed. Just love him up as long as you can and enjoy it. My heart goes out to you and Mr. P.
    That's what happens...you mourn them before they're gone, and then you mourn them after they're gone. Then, when you're older, you worry they'll survive you and what will happen to them.

My sympathies, Mrs P. Anyone who has ever loved a pet can relate to what you're going through.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Mrs. P, I am so sorry. Sounds like Minty has the best most loving home ever, lucky guy. Have never had a ferret, but guinea pigs and rats (and a couple wild mice who moved in, but that's another story) and they are all so precious. Our oldest cat is on her last legs, she is almost 18. I also worry every morning when we get up. On the one hand, if she went in her sleep it would be easier. On the other hand, when you find them it is such a shock. And you also don't want them to suffer which is sometimes hard to tell, so to know "when" is a struggle too. Big hugs to you and Minty!!
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information