Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple busted for refusing to pay tip

15% service should be included in the price of food the way it is in most of europe. that way you only leave more if the person deserved it and there's no fuss about whether or not it's mandatory to tip.
    it also pisses me off that if i eat in the US or canada, i have to remember that service isn't included and tip on top of that. kind of like how sales tax isn't included in the price of stuff and then when you go pay you have to add another 14% (in the case of canada) to the price. why not just include it in the price the way they do everywhere else in the world?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Because then restaurant and bar owners would have to pay, at the very least, minimum wage and that would mean all those college kids who pay their way through uni on tips wouldn't take those jobs. Instead they'd be filled by even less skilled labour. Oh, and profits would go down for the owner and the restaurant lobby is quite powerful on the state level.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Weird. This was on gawker today. I now reaffirm my vow to always tip. This is the shit I remembering having to put up with.

Times are tough, and people are sat at home chewing bellybutton fluff instead of eating out or ordering in. What are restaurant owners doing? Some are not paying staff, and others are sending abusive emails calling them "fucking lazy motherfuckers."

An investigation found that in Park Slope alone, 25 restaurants owed at least $910,000 in pay to over 200 staff members, report NY1. Some of those staff were only on $2.75 an hour. And the worst violations were directed at delivery workers, who have enough troubles what with the rain and the broken buzzers.

State Labor Commissioner Patricia Smith said these staff were not able to pursue the back pay because:

They often have limited English-speaking capacity and are afraid if they lose this job they might not get another job. They're low-wage workers, and therefore they're low-skilled, so even more frightened of losing their jobs and the economic situation is only making that worse.

Even staff in the overpriced Meatpacking district are having trouble. The owner of a restaurant there, described on its website as a "light-filled, airy oasis... filled with warmth and charm," really REALLY wants waitstaff to collect email addresses from customers, presumably so he can spam them. Here's the happy, team-building email he sent out, from a tipster.

To All,

Please read this email carefully. This is the last time we will be discussing this.

This weekend, saturday and sunday we had 451 customers. Guess how many emails we collected? 60? 80? 40? No. None of those. We, or more acurately you, collected 2 emails. Thats less than half of one percent. 2 fucking emails.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ASSHOLES?!?!?! How many times do we have to tell you how important it is that you collect emails. Everytime we have a slow night and you make no money and you sit there bitching about how you make no money, remember its because youre fucking lazy motherfuckers. YOU SHOULD ALL BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!!!! ALL OF YOU, INCLUDING THE HOSTS!!!!

Let me guess, youre probably sitting there saying "Vadim is such a fucking asshole. How dare he speak to me like this. I dont need this." Youre right, you dont, so why dont you get the fuck out. Any and all of you.

Youre probably sitting there saying "How dare he speak to me like this. How dare he not have respect for me". Youre right there also. I have absolutely no respect for any of you. Why? Because every fucking day, all of you continue to show that you have absolutely no respect for me or Alex. So if you dont respect us enough to do the little that we ask you to do, then GET THE FUCK OUT YOU FUCKING LAZY DISRESPECTFUL ASSHOLES!!!!!

Effective immediately, any server or host who fails to collect at least 20 emails per week, will be fined $100. Anyone failing to collect at least 20 emails for two weeks in a month will be fired immediately. No matter what. No matter who you are.

You dont want to do your job, you dont want to do what we ask, you dont belong at Paradou. Go find another place to work.

How dare you disrespect Alex and me this way. How dare you completely ignore what we ask of you time after time after time.

I am sick of all this shit, you bunch of fucking children. This is what I have to deal with at 6AM?!?!? I wouldnt tolerate this from my 13 year old, and Im sure as shit not going to tolerate it from any of you assholes.

You give no respect, you get 10 times back.
    New York Restaurant Owners Turn Evil - Recessionomics - Gawker

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    If it's a party of 6 or more, don't many restaurants charge a mandatory gratuity or "service fee?" If it was clearly stated on the menu, I think the customers are stuck.
    But if they didn't get the services that they paid for in that automatic gratuity, then they were the ones being ripped off, not the business/staff.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would have to be an outrageously bad waiter for me to not tip at all. That being said, if the tip is mandatory, it is not a tip, it is a service charge, and the restaurant should state it like that. Something at the bottom of the receipt like:

"Service charges are already included in the price of the meal. No tip required."

This pisses me off. I have friends who won't go out with me anymore because I'm a notoriously big tipper, but there have been times when I didn't tip anything because I watched our waiter totally ignore my table while chit-catting with a neighbor table.

That being said, IF the manager offered to comp the food, wouldn't the automatic gratuity be 0? Why didn't the manager reallocate what they did pay between his offered comp and the mandatory fee?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The tipping culture is getting way out of control. I know it's how poorly paid people top up their wages but the whole idea of tips being a discretionary reward for good service seems to have vanished, especially in the US. I deeply resent being expected to cough up an extra 20%(!) no matter how good/bad the service was.
    What I'd like to know is, when did 20% become the norm? Back in the day, it was 10%, with 15% for great service. Then 15% was standard, and 20% was considered great. Now, if you don't leave 20% you're a total cheapskate?

Did restaurants start pushing higher tips when the IRS changed their rules to taxing servers on 8%? Because I'm sure it wasn't customer-driven. And even at 8%, no one will convince me that a good server still doesn't walk away with a good chunk of untaxed income, even if they have to give 20% to the bussers.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    But if they didn't get the services that they paid for in that automatic gratuity, then they were the ones being ripped off, not the business/staff.
    I agree with you, but apparently the police didn't. I guess the lesson is, always read the fine print, and never dine with a party greater than five, or your tipping decision will be made for you.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

If people can now be arrested for choosing not to tip, then the servers should be arrested for choosing to give you bad service.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

god i wish all assholes who didn't tip would be brought to justice

i wish all bad servers would die
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Most restaurants do say (whether on the menu or during the making of reservations) that if there are more than 6 - 8 people in a seating, there is a gratuity automatically added to the bill.

IF someone is uncomfortable with that, or doesn't want to be held to it, don't go there. IF that group decides to go regardless, they need to shut up and pay the gratuity whether they liked the service or not. THEY chose to go there, knowing the "rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Most restaurants do say (whether on the menu or during the making of reservations) that if there are more than 6 - 8 people in a seating, there is a gratuity automatically added to the bill.

IF someone is uncomfortable with that, or doesn't want to be held to it, don't go there. IF that group decides to go regardless, they need to shut up and pay the gratuity whether they liked the service or not. THEY chose to go there, knowing the "rules"
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    This pisses me off. I have friends who won't go out with me anymore because I'm a notoriously big tipper, but there have been times when I didn't tip anything because I watched our waiter totally ignore my table while chit-catting with a neighbor table.

That being said, IF the manager offered to comp the food, wouldn't the automatic gratuity be 0? Why didn't the manager reallocate what they did pay between his offered comp and the mandatory fee?
    If the food was comped you should tip extra because you just walked away with a free meal but that meal is still on the books as the servers, meaning s/he will still have to pay tax on the cost.

Anyway, I get that bad service is annoying and that some of the money is tax-free but the pay is so bloody low that I think that's fine. And as far as watching a server talk to another table, be grateful they're leaving you alone. I don't go out to eat to chat with a stranger. I go to have a nice meal and catch up with someone.

I just did a bit of reserach and minimum wage for servers is as low as 2.13 an hour or as high as (wow) 5.52. No tips means starvation.

--Sinclair Lewis

Maybe i should have business cards made up to give my server when i order. They would say "I believe a tip is earned, otherwise it would be called a wage. When I receive good service, or atleast effort is made, I am an excellent tipper, because I appreciate the hard work that service people preform. I am not your employer, so I am not responsible for paying your wage. Although i am not an overly demanding bitch, I do expect the waitstaff to wait on me. If I have to wait on myself by getting my own drink, silverware, etc., wait an hour to be waited on, or feel that I did not receive reasonable service, I reserve the right to refrain from tipping. I am not a philanthropist and cannot afford to give out money that is not earned." And as far as the low pay they receive...I've been there, but that was my motivation to do a good job and give good service. There were plenty of weekends that i made more in tips at my part time waitressing job than i did at my full time job all week. A good waiter/waitress/bartender can make a nice living, but if you suck at it (and some waitstaff don't even seem to try or care), you are not going to make very much. That does not mean the customer should settle for horrible service and still give a tip just the same as they would for good service.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Bronze Member

I've always been generous with tips, I give 15% if the service was okay, 20% if everything was great. I only give less in situations where it was horrible, however not if I ever want to go back to that restaurant. The way I look at it is going out to a restaurant is not a necessity--there are many other ways to eat. If I'm going out to restaurant I'm choosing an experience and a luxury, and I am paying for someone to serve my food, not just for the food. So I believe servers absolutely deserve good tips. The job they have is horrible, the pay they are given expects for them to earn tips (i'll never forgot when I was waitress and my weekly "pay" from my boss was $15, my boss was a special kind of cheapie), so they absolutely deserve my extra money, because once they help you out, you are employing them in a certain way. As far as the debate between 15% and 20%, It's usually such a small difference in money. For example: A $30 bill: 20% tip: $6, 15%: $4.50: that a difference of $1.50 between the two most common amounts of tips....people who are able to go out to dinner are obviously the kind of people that $1.50 shouldn't bother.

But with all of that said, I think its silly that the couple got arrested...there are worse crimes p.s. sorry for the long post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information