Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your co-worker packing heat?

Default Is your co-worker packing heat?

Is your co-worker packing heat?
    At a small company off the Beltway, employees fired back when a mentally ill woman who was supposedly looking to kill her father shot a worker with an arrow.

Two co-workers there had their own handguns -- and permits to carry them – when the woman arrived.
    A blog purportedly written by one of the armed workers described the scene.
    “She charges out of the (conference room) and my boss unloads his (handgun) on her, 6 rounds,” the blog read.
    Gun proponents say this is what the Texas Concealed Handgun Law is for: allowing properly screened and trained citizens to protect themselves.
    But are guns a good idea at work?
    Many companies say no. Houston-based Conoco-Phillips is among them.
    Conoco-Phillips not only bans guns in the office, but also in company parking lots. That rule has led to lawsuits in Oklahoma.
    But could armed workers have protected themselves two years ago at the Space Center when a disgruntled worker smuggled in a gun, killed a coworker and held another hostage before shooting himself?
    With companies laying off people by the thousands, some corporations are questioning their gun policies. Sometimes the answers they’re getting are surprising.
    “If they call me and say, ‘Should we prohibit handguns?’ I do not automatically say, ‘Yes, of course,’” Tim McInturf of the Littler Law Firm said.
    In Texas, unless a company specifically prohibits it, there’s nothing illegal about packing a weapon at work.
    In fact, 11 News found at least one case in which a group of Houston business executives were actually advised to start carrying guns.
    “We actually sent the executives to get trained on handguns, to apply for licenses,” McInturf said.

AP

McInturf advised the executives to arm themselves after a worker they laid off threatened to kill his bosses.
    He said with the recession in full swing, it’s not uncommon for companies to call saying they’ve been threatened by workers who’ve lost their jobs.
    In those cases, McInturf said it can make sense for employees to be armed so they can protect themselves.
    Jim Oliver, a Houston dad who used to own a software company, said he always respected Texans’ right to arm themselves – that is, until last month.
    It was Oliver’s stepdaughter, Julie Parker, who was shot in the Houston office off the Beltway.
    Parker survived the ordeal.
    “I read his blog and he was very cavalier about it. Almost bragging, “ Parker said.
    Parker’s family said they fear some armed office workers might be too quick to draw their weapons and use deadly force.
    “It’s not something to be cavalier about,” Oliver said

Is your co-worker packing heat? | LOCAL NEWS | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas
    Play nice, kids. I know McJag has her gun around here somewhere

*takes aim at Penny Lane. Remembers she just paid 60 bucks for a manicure & carefully puts pearl handled away...*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I've got mine,too (in the car). I've worked in mental health clinics with limited security (and even when we had security it was after 5 pm.......like they think nothing bad happens before dark). Not to mention that many of these rent-a-cops are old, fat, or just plain out of shape and useless anyway. I have an issue with workplaces that would not be able or willing to offer sufficient protection from extrenal or internal threats, yet they refuse to allow you to protect yourself. I really do understand the fear of what would happen if unstable, violent types had their guns at work. However, since when would those types not bring in a weapn simply because it is against the rules? Anti-socials don't follow rules. I work for a huge corporation and even we had an armed robbery in out parking lot one Christmas. If you have a gun, just don't tell anyone because you never know when some Nervous Nellie handwringer is going to go to HR and make some major deal about it just because they are afraid of guns and have this idea that your pistol is going to come to life like that broom in Fantasia and start kicking major ass in the office.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sprays McJag with AquaNet and runs away*

It's a slippery slope, IMO.. I believe people should continue to have the right to carry a concealed weapon, but I think the biggest flaw in the whole concept of gun rights is that so many people aren't properly educated in gun safety, gun laws, etc... like I said, it's tricky. If some psychotic coworker came after me with a bow and arrow, though, you bet I'd want some gun owning coworker around to cover my ass.

Is your co-worker packing heat?
    Don't know, don't care. I know who the crazies are and I stay away from them as much as I can.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

more guns just lead to more people getting shot.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Depending on who it is getting shot, that could be wonderful.

it would be so weird to live in a place where people you work with could be armed.
    i can't even imagine the possibility that, say, one of the secretaries at work could be carrying a gun in her purse.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've worked with some scary ass people and would hate to think of them as being armed. We even had to clear out the office because he had a melt-down and was threatening to kill people with the gun he had in his car!!! Cops came and took him away. Sure enough, gun under the seat. Of course, he was only threatening to kill his asshole boss, but still....

^^that's freaky, krisnine!

exactly. that's the bottom-line for me.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Why do I predict a 50 page thread by the time I get back on here tomorrow?

I think its all what you're used to. I grew up with guns and they don't concern me...now woodchippers scare the fuck outta me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Maybe canada has less instances of people flipping the fuck out and shooting their co-workers.. but it stands to reason that if one of them had a licensed gun he could get it and blow everybody away.

No guns, no shootings.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

True, you'd get more casulaties with guns, but Canadians tend to get all MacGyver when they want to kill people...if they really wnted to take out a whole office I'm sure they could do it with a stapler or something.

Yes, guns are fatal... which is why this is such a contentious topic for some people. I think people have a right to carry them contingent upon mental health, proper education and licensing, etc. On the flipside, some gun-owning psychos might be able to function well until the day they snap.

Tricky tricky.

True, you'd get more casulaties with guns, but Canadians tend to get all MacGyver when they want to kill people...if they really wnted to take out a whole office I'm sure they could do it with a stapler or something.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information