Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

Default Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game - Yahoo! News

ELYRIA, Ohio – Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday. "I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.
    Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.
    The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.
    Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.
    Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.
    The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.
    After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.
    Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.
    Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.
    On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.
    Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.
    Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.
    Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.
    A message seeking comment was left Monday with a Los Angeles public relations firm that represents the game maker, Bungie LLC.

Spoiled brat.

Unbelievable.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Does anyone else think that this might have been the straw that broke the camel's back?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever,"
    Give me a fucking break. A 17-year-old kid didn't realize that if he shot his parents they would be dead forever? He was a spoiled brat that got pissy because his parents took his toy from him, and he wanted it back, which is why he took the game back after he shot them.

And the fact that he planned to make it look like a murder-suicide rules out insanity. He knew what he doing.

Or he was nuts. Who knows.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Cue the 'video games are bad' talk. I actually play violent video games to stop me killing people for real.

Ha! Me too! Mr. butt freaks watching me play since I kill EVERYONE. The innocent, the guilty, the cops. No one is spared my bullets. I feel so much better after I kill off a few hundred bozos.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    Cue the 'video games are bad' talk. I actually play violent video games to stop me killing people for real.
    ^Oh yes. When I was working 2 jobs...one at a daycare which I could hardly stand (because of my whore-iffic managers and stupid, bitchy collegues) and the other at Target in softlines, which I also couldn't stand (because of rude, ungrateful customers who did nothing but bitch and complain and mess up the areas that I'd just 'zoned'!)

Literally, having two jobs I hated...I'd come home every night literally just hating the world and everyone in it.

Not long after starting my second job at Target I began smoking pot again, which mellowed me out big time!

So I'd go to my daycare job then Target and look forward to coming home to smoke a joint and play Grand Theft Auto IV!

Awesome game to play high...you can savagely kill people and cause heaps of mayhem...it was a great stress reliever!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

It's not video games that turn the kids into sociopathic, spoiled brats... it's the parents, for allowing the behavior to continue, and pretty much just letting it happen.

The kid was fucking nuts to begin with.

You should see me play videogames. I usually play through once and just butcher everybody that I come across. I was playing Fallout 3, and I'd just walk into a city and stupid people would come up to talk to me, furthering the story. I'd just unload a shotgun blast in their face and keep walking LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Does anyone else think that this might have been the straw that broke the camel's back?
    You always assume that when some kid goes off. Yeah, maybe his parents had punished him for acting like a jerkoff for the last time.............I mean where do they get off acting like they have any authority over what goes on in their home?

They lost me when they said they believed (at age 17) that he didn't think his parents would really be dead forever if he killed them.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he's smart enough to play Halo 3, then he's smart enough to know that bullets kill.

Another useless piece of shit that society is better off without.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    I used to have a game called Unreal Tournament, and you could rename the opposition bots. I renamed them after the boss I hated and a few other people who had made my life miserable. It was theraputic and allowed me to blow off steam until I could find another job.

You should see me play videogames. I usually play through once and just butcher everybody that I come across. I was playing Fallout 3, and I'd just walk into a city and stupid people would come up to talk to me, furthering the story. I'd just unload a shotgun blast in their face and keep walking LOL
    Hhahaha...that's exactly what I'm like when I play. EVERYONE dies, no matter what.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information