Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College senior is sexually assaulted while group of dudes cheer

Default College senior is sexually assaulted while group of dudes cheer

College Senior Is Sexually Assaulted While Group Of Dudes Cheer

Melissa Bruen, the outgoing editor-in-chief of the UConn Daily Campus decided to write a first-person essay about her sexual assault as her last act as EIC. In late April, UConn had its annual spring weekend — a drunken rite that occurs at most colleges during the hazy end of spring semester. Bruen was walking home from parties at off-campus apartments on a path affectionately known to Huskies as "rape trail." She decided to make a phone call, and, as she was leaning against a telephone pole, a large man shoved her against the pole and "dry humped" her. Bruen, who had been assaulted before, decided to take action. She pushed him away, and when she had him pinned to the ground, punched him smack in the face. A group of men who had been watching this all go down eventually pulled Bruen off her assailant, who ran off. She started screaming, "He just assaulted me," and that's when one of the violence voyeurs said to her, "You think that was assault?", pulled down her shirt, and grabbed her breasts.
    As Bruen tells it:
    More men started to cheer. It didn't matter to the drunken mob that my breasts were being shown or fondled against my will. They were happy to see a topless girl all the same. I punched him in the face, and someone shoved me into a throng of others. I was surrounded, but I kept swinging and hitting until I was able to break free of the circle they had formed.
    For a college senior to have the bravery and presence of mind to fight back is impressive. For Bruen to write about it takes even more courage, since, not surprisingly, Bruen's story sparked a menagerie of misogyny on the Daily Campus message board. They call the story a "journalist's cry for fame," and complain that "When it comes to 'rape', the vast majority of the time the only injustices are felt by men, not girls." Several posters question Bruen's credibility. Melissa McEwan at Shakesville says that Bruen's story shows that teaching women self-defense alone is not going to fix the rape problem. "Addressing the issues of the men who assaulted her, and the larger culture that facilitates that kind of behavior and the attitudes underlying it, needs to be a part of comprehensive rape prevention," McEwan argues. "Self-defense doesn't stop rapists from being created in the first place."
    The saddest part of this entire tale is this comment from another poster on the UConn Daily Campus, who read the attacks on Bruen's character and internalized them. "It's comments like these that assure me that I did the right thing at not reporting my sexual assault," the anonymous poster writes. "I never wanted to face the battery of verbal assault that melissa is facing right now after facing the sexual one that she faced the other weekend..and the emotional and physical one that she will torment her for the REST OF HER LIFE just like the one that will face me."
    School Daze: College Senior Is Sexually Assaulted While Group Of Dudes Cheer
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Well boo on them for assaulting her.

however, she's built like a tank and should probably take what she can get.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

That makes me FUME!!!! Too bad she didn't have a pistol......we could all be cheering at the funerals of these worthless fuckers.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ that'd been awesome! if she shot them all dead!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    That makes me FUME!!!! Too bad she didn't have a pistol......we could all be cheering at the funerals of these worthless fuckers.
    And she'd be in prison for murder. There's a flaw in this 'happy ending' scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    And she'd be in prison for murder. There's a flaw in this 'happy ending' scenario.
    Not necessarily. A woman could easily support that she feared for her life when surrounded by a group of men who were clearly saying they were going to rape her and after one of them had already molested her. Clear cut self defense. I think she's get off easily.

Not necessarily. A woman could easily support that she feared for her life when surrounded by a group of men who were clearly saying they were going to rape her and after one of them had already molested her. Clear cut self defense. I think she's get off easily.
    In an ideal world, that would be the case. However, given how often rape/assault cases get dismissed and the burden of proof falls on the victim, I'm not as optimistic as you. Actually, this blog post gives specific examples of women punished for defending themselves (on reason #4, I believe).

However, given how often rape/assault cases get dismissed and the burden of proof falls on the victim,
    Well, since they would be dead they couldn't actually refute what I'd said they did now could they?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thats why im getting a gun........

Thumbs down

That's awful

However, given how often rape/assault cases get dismissed and the burden of proof falls on the victim,
    Well, since they would be dead they couldn't actually refute what I'd said they did now could they?
    Wouldn't there be, I don't know, forensic evidence on multiple gunshot victims?

I'm sorry, but I'm finding the idea of no repercussions from a gun killing spree highly unlikely. Even if it sounds cool in a 'revenge fantasy' way.

What fucking pigs. Someone should sexually assault them, while a group of people cheers at their misery, as they get groped and whatever else, and they have to take it helplessly.

Ugh. Getting out of this thread.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Angry

On June 14, four African-American women—Venice Brown (19), Terrain Dandridge (20), Patreese Johnson (20) and Renata Hill (24)—received sentences ranging from three-and-a-half to 11 years in prison. None of them had previous criminal records. Two of them are parents of small children.

Their crime? Defending themselves from a physical attack by a man who held them down and choked them, ripped hair from their scalps, spat on them, and threatened to sexually assault them

…As they passed the Independent Film Cinema, 29-year-old Dwayne Buckle, an African-American vendor selling DVDs, sexually propositioned one of the women. They rebuffed his advances and kept walking.

"I'll f— you straight, sweetheart!" Buckle shouted. A video camera from a nearby store shows the women walking away. He followed them, all the while hurling anti-lesbian slurs, grabbing his genitals and making explicitly obscene remarks. The women finally stopped and confronted him. A heated argument ensued. Buckle spat in the face of one of the women and threw his lit cigarette at them, escalating the verbal attack into a physical one.

Buckle is seen on the video grabbing and pulling out large patches of hair from one of the young women. When Buckle ended up on top of one of the women, choking her, Johnson pulled a small steak knife out of her purse. She aimed for his arm to stop him from killing her friend.

The video captures two men finally running over to help the women and beating Buckle. At some point he was stabbed in the abdomen. The women were already walking away across the street by the time the police arrived.

Buckle was hospitalized for five days after surgery for a lacerated liver and stomach. When asked at the hospital, he responded at least twice that men had attacked him.

There was no evidence that Johnson's kitchen knife was the weapon that penetrated his abdomen, nor was there any blood visible on it. In fact, there was never any forensics testing done on her knife. On the night they were arrested, the police told the women that there would be a search by the New York Police Department for the two men—which to date has not happened.

After almost a year of trial, four of the seven were convicted in April. Johnson was sentenced to 11 years on June 14.
    What country do we live in, Iraq? I'm not being prejudiced, but everyone knows what rape victims go through if there are no witnesses over there.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

^^^^That scenario was not clearly a case for murder/lethal wounding as self defense. It was one man and multiple woman.

Wouldn't there be, I don't know, forensic evidence on multiple gunshot victims?

I'm sorry, but I'm finding the idea of no repercussions from a gun killing spree highly unlikely. Even if it sounds cool in a 'revenge fantasy' way.

You know what, if I was surrounded by a group of men threatening to rape me I don't think that my primary concern would be what legal consequences I'd get for defending myself.

You know what, if I was surrounded by a group of men threatening to rape me I don't think that my primary concern would be what legal consequences I'd get for defending myself.
    Me neither, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't occur.

I'm not disagreeing with you that women should be able to defend themselves, by any means necessary. I'm just saying that unfortunately society is still set up in a way to defend the rapist/attacker. Yes, women should be able to defend themselves, but what really needs to happen is a deeper legal/social change to get us out of this pro-rape culture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information