Thread: Toddler with eight limbs to undergo life-saving surgery

Default Toddler with eight limbs to undergo life-saving surgery

A toddler born with eight limbs and believed by some to be the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess Vishnu, is set to undergo a 40-hour operation to remove half of her limbs.

Lakshmi Tatma was born joined to a 'parasitic twin' and will go under the knife at the hands of 30 surgeons to remove two of her useless arms and legs. Scroll down for more...
    Torment: Lakshmi can not walk or crawl and is unlikely to survive her teens without surgery

The headless 'twin' is joined to Lakshmi at the pelvis and has its own spinal column and kidney.
    Without the operation the little girl would never be able to walk or crawl and would be unlikely to live past her early teens, doctors said.
    The extraordinary eight-limbed baby was born in a poverty-stricken region of Bihar, India - on the day devoted to the celebration of the four-armed Hindu deity Vishnu. Scroll down for more...
    Fused: Lakshmi's body is joined with the parasitical twin which is attached to her body at her pelvis

Her mother Poonam Tatma said she believed her daughter was "a miracle, a reincarnation" of Vishnu.
    Dr Sharan Patil, who will be leading the surgery at the country's Narayana Health City, in Bangalore, said: "Fortunately, Lakshmi has one complete body with a near perfect set of organs.
    "Her skeletal system involves two bodies which are fused together at the level of the pelvis.
    "The operation itself, although presents several challenges, is not the most complex in the world. What is highly unusual in Lakshmi's case is precisely how her bodies are fused, almost mirroring each other."
    The Hindu god Vishnu is the preserver and protector of creation

Parents Poonam Devi and Shambu Das, who earn about 50p a day as casual labourers, were turned away from several hospitals before her plight was taken up by Dr Patil.
    The operation is expected to cost about 100,000. Scroll down for more...
    Hope: Lakshmi and mother Poonam prepare for the op which could save the toddler's life

Poonam, who gave birth to Lakshmi on the celebration day of the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity after whom the new born was named, said: "She is a miracle, a special blessing from God. But she is my daughter and she cannot live like this." Laskhmi is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary as part of the Bodyshocks series.

Toddler with eight limbs branded 'reincarnation of Hindu god' to undergo life-saving operation | the Daily Mail

Oh. My. God. That poor child.

I couldn't imagine how hard it is for the mother to look at her and that almost whole body that is missing a head that should be another child.

Bless her heart. I hope this works out for her.
    Look at how pretty her big, black eyes are.

I'm confused. I don't see genitals. I'm not trying to be a perv, but it seems to me that this surgery is quite a bit more serious than they are making it out to be... I'd be a frigging wreck!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

40-hour operation

Poor dear. I hope the surgery goes well.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Success! Life-saving surgery on toddler with eight limbs goes 'very well'

Last updated at 09:24am on 7th November 2007
    Comments (15)
    Doctors in India have successfully operated on a 2-year-old girl born with four arms, four legs and extra internal organs, doctors said today.

A team of around 30 medics removed what amounted to Lakshmi Tatma's headless identical twin sister who was joined at the pelvis and who did not develop and separate properly in the womb - an extremely rare case. "It went very well," said Mamta Patil, a doctor involved in the surgery at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore in south India. "She'll be in intensive care for the next 48 hours."

Success! Life-saving surgery on toddler with eight limbs goes 'very well' | the Daily Mail
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

That's just gruesome. I'm glad they manage to remove the extra body. Ewww! Glad the mother is taking it well with Vishnu and all but didn't decide to keep the poor kid as a freak.

Wow...simply...wow... She's fortunate that today's medicine and technology could help her. Had she been born in another time...
    ...feed me now!

Wow. I am glad to hear everything went well with the surgery! It is truly amazing they are able to do such things to help people in situations like this little girl's. Even if it takes 40 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm confused. I don't see genitals. I'm not trying to be a perv, but it seems to me that this surgery is quite a bit more serious than they are making it out to be... I'd be a frigging wreck!

I wonder the same thing too Mel and I'm no perv either. Poor baby. I wonder if they "made" her some.
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

Quote Originally Posted by xavier_moon View Post
    Wow...simply...wow... She's fortunate that today's medicine and technology could help her. Had she been born in another time...
    I know! In another time.....

I read the story of John Meyrick (Elephant Man) recently. It's so sad. He sounded like such a sweet and intelligent guy and for much of his life the only way he could earn a living was as a circus "freak".
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

Gold Member

I'm from India and I read about this girl, I hope she makes it.

I hope that little girl makes a good recovery... That surgery just had to be brutal.

Thread Information