Thread: Internet terrorism trial judge baffled by the term "web site"

SVZ

Default Internet terrorism trial judge baffled by the term "web site"

"Web site" baffles Internet terrorism trial judge - Yahoo! News

By Mark Trevelyan Wed May 16, 1:22 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British judge admitted on Wednesday he was struggling to cope with basic terms like "Web site" in the trial of three men accused of inciting terrorism via the Internet.

Judge Peter Openshaw broke into the questioning of a witness about a Web forum used by alleged Islamist radicals.

"The trouble is I don't understand the language. I don't really understand what a Web site is," he told a London court during the trial of three men charged under anti-terrorism laws.

Prosecutor Mark Ellison briefly set aside his questioning to explain the terms "Web site" and "forum." An exchange followed in which the 59-year-old judge acknowledged: "I haven't quite grasped the concepts."

Violent Islamist material posted on the Internet, including beheadings of Western hostages, is central to the case.

Concluding Wednesday's session and looking ahead to testimony on Thursday by a computer expert, the judge told Ellison: "Will you ask him to keep it simple, we've got to start from basics."

Younes Tsouli, 23, Waseem Mughal, 24, and Tariq al-Daour, 21, deny a range of charges under Britain's Terrorism Act, including inciting another person to commit an act of terrorism "wholly or partly" outside Britain.

Tsouli and Mughal also deny conspiracy to murder. Al-Daour has pleaded not guilty to conspiring with others to defraud banks, credit card and charge card companies.

Prosecutors have told the jury at Woolwich Crown Court, east London, that the defendants kept car-bomb-making manuals and videos of how to wire suicide vests as part of a campaign to promote global jihad, or holy war.

The trial continues.

Well, good to see that the history of appointing judges to things they know nothing about continues.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Why don't they just declare it a mistrial now and get on with the 2nd trial? This judge should have recused himself before it even went as far as to pick a jury. If he doesn't understand what the defendants are even accused of, how can he judge the case? He should be declared completely incompetent and removed from his job considering he didn't even bother to take into account that his ignorance would hand the defense a reason for mistrial giftwrapped and personally addressed. What an idiot.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh dear.

Judges in the UK are often appointed to trials, they don't select them.

Isn't there an out, like "hey, im a complete ignoramus on the subject matter, i dont even have the barest grasp of the material"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This reminds me of the time when, in the early 90's I had a temp job for some old coot of a corner office attorney in a big law firm in San Francisco. The guy was totally dead wood, and ancient.

I walk in there and he says "do you take steno?" I replied, "Uh, will fast notes do?" He scowled.

I kid you not. 1990's!!

I get back out to the gallows and the supervisor nervously inquires "so... how did it go?" I'll bet they ended up carrying that guy out on a stretcher to the morgue. He refused to retire.

Thread Information