Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns in Japan

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Question Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns in Japan

Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns
    Story Highlights
    "I came with Daddy," boy quoted as saying
    Japanese hospital set up drop box for unwanted babies
    Drop box designed to offer alternative to abandoning babies in public places

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler -- and not an infant -- had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.

Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as "Stork's Cradle," is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.

The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.

The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster's hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan's bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.

"I came with Daddy," the boy was quoted as saying by the Mainichi newspaper.

The find triggered a wave of outrage among political leaders on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe saying "Anonymously throwing out a child is unacceptable." He urged parents to consult social workers for help if raising children gets too tough.

Local media reported that the boy was able to identify himself by name. But it was unclear whether the father had been identified.

The hospital has refused to comment on the case, citing privacy concerns, but said there were age limits on its drop-off service.

Police have decided no crime was committed in the current case because the child was left in a situation in which it was not exposed to immediate harm, Kyodo News reported Wednesday.

"We must rethink the meaning of the baby drop-off," the conservative Sankei newspaper said in an editorial. "Unlike a baby, a toddler may suffer from trauma."

"This little boy must be experiencing great loneliness. We urge his mother or father to come forward," the newspaper said, calling his abandonment "unforgivable."

The Yomiuri newspaper said it was too early to judge the baby-drop, but said that it must be used for its original purpose of receiving newborns, not young children. Parents should also be encouraged to seek outside help before dumping their offspring.

The Mainichi said the misuse of the box could inspire copycats.

A small hatch on the side of the hospital has been set up to allow people to drop off babies into an incubator 24 hours a day.

The drop box was created after a series of high-profile cases in which newborn babies were left behind in parks and supermarkets, triggering a public outcry and government warnings against abandoning babies.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns - CNN.com
    uuummmmmmmm i think im speechless

*pictures numerous parents dropping their teenagers off at the box*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is sad but at least he dropped him off in a safe place rather then injuring or leaving him for dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *pictures numerous parents dropping their teenagers off at the box*

WTF WHERE ARE THESE BOXES J/J
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

The find triggered a wave of outrage among political leaders on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe saying "Anonymously throwing out a child is unacceptable."
    Then why did you put the fucking stork box out there then? Be glad he didn't beat the child to death.

We urge his mother or father to come forward," the newspaper said, calling his abandonment "unforgivable."
    Well, at least no abortions were involved (sarcasm). I'm so glad I gave thought to deciding whether or not I wanted children. I really despise people who don't give it any thought, just think 'it's what you do' (no independent thought whatsoever), and blindly bring children into this world. I can't help it, I just feel so fucking superior to people who just follow like sheep and don't think important life decisions through. Too bad the kids have to pay the price for their foolishness.

Don't be silly, they wont beat the child, they're japanese. They'll chop him up.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

decapitate even or maybe this guy was scared the kid would decapitate him
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

The family's situtation is unknown. I think the Dad really may have felt the child had better chance without him. At least he could admit that and try to get the child to a better place. Too bad other families don't.

its so sad though; that kid will be seriously fucked up in the future and have very real abandonment issues

Elite Member

Sometimes I wish for one of those boxes...2-year olds are a real handful.

^ yeah no kidding

this sounds like something grim would do too

If we had those hatches in the US they'd be drive-thru. With a vacuum tube like at the bank

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Sometimes I wish for one of those boxes...2-year olds are a real handful.
    Why can't someone make them for 51 year old future ex-husbands??

.....and, could they make one to hold a 12 year old, just for a couple hours??

Now, truly, I feel for the little 3 year old boy, but who knows, maybe he is better off without the "daddy" that put him in there. It seems pretty shitty on the surface though.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    If we had those hatches in the US they'd be drive-thru. With a vacuum tube like at the bank

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    This is sad but at least he dropped him off in a safe place rather then injuring or leaving him for dead.
    i agree. yes it's sad for the kid that his parents didn't want him but i'd rather that than parents that end up keeping kids and abusing them or treating them like shit because they never wanted them in the first place or realised too late that parenthood wasn't for them. at least now the little boy has a chance of being put in a home where he will be loved.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information