Thread: Bus driver ties up 7-year-old girl

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Bus driver ties up 7-year-old girl

Little Alexis Warnic (with mom, Kimberly Randall, and in inset) says heartless bus driver bound her to her seat last week.

A school bus driver was busted after heartlessly restraining a 7-year-old Queens girl with seat belts and electrical tape on her ride home last week, authorities said yesterday.

"I tried to call for help, but he kept on driving," said little Alexis Warnic, of the South Jamaica Houses. "I was crying, and he kept on driving and smiling."

Edwidge Jean, 52, of Flatbush, Brooklyn, allegedly bound the special-needs student April 4 after she tried to leave her seat to get a book about Harriet Tubman out of her backpack at the front of the vehicle.

Students on the bus from other schools told their teachers, who then phoned educators at Alexis' school, Public School 23 in Glen Oaks.

The second-grader's mother was outraged when she learned someone allegedly acted so cruelly.

"He said Alexis was out of control, but it was him who was out of control," said Kimberly Randall, 35.

"She's only 7."

Alexis - who suffers from attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity - said Jean lashed out when she tried to retrieve the volume to prepare for a book report.

Jean allegedly pulled his 12passenger vehicle over on Union Turnpike and double-knotted two seat belts to restrain the bubbly and articulate girl, then crossed her wrists and tied them with electrical tape.

"Nobody like that should work with kids," Randall said. "These workers need to get some training to treat them correctly."

Added Alexis, "God forbid he should do this to anyone else." Jean was charged Tuesday with unlawful imprisonment, endangering the welfare of a child and harassment, and faces up to a year behind bars. He could not be reached for comment.

"The defendant's alleged actions cruelly put this youngster in jeopardy and endangered her well-being," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

An Education Department spokesman said that bus service is contracted out, but that Jean will not be allowed to drive city students again.

Jean works for R&C Transit Inc. of Queens Village, which could not be reached for comment.

Randall said she doesn't blame her daughter's school for the incident. "I love the way the school takes care of my daughter," she said. "That's why I send her all the way to Glen Oaks."

Alexis said she likes her school, too - just not the bus ride.

nydailynews.com
    Nice. Really nice. I swear to Xenu that if anyone did this to my kid I'd chop his bloody foot off.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Bus driver ties up 7-year-old girl

Alexis - who suffers from attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity
    that qualifies her as special-needs?

When my kids were babies I drove a school bus for 2 years, so I can almost empathize with the bus driver...ALMOST!!!

But, no way in hell should this guy be driving, he is obviously way too stressed to be doing that job. He needs to be charged with assault and never be allowed to drive a bus again... idiot.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Silver Member

Well, I would have to hear what the bus driver had to say. Perhaps she was always getting out of her seat to fetch something or do something. Of course if an accident happened, and she wasn't in her seat was seriously hurt, the bus driver would be responsible. Parents need to teach their kids at home, so no one needs to make them mind when they are away from home.

These people are idiots what they need to do is pull the school bus over and call someone with authority to come and take the child off and tell the parents that their child cannot ride on the bus anymore because she is unruly. While they are at it they should do it with all the troublemakers in school. Kick them out and let the parents deal with it, believe me parents having to take off work, etc to deal with their own kids “special needs” would nip the problem in the bud. Parents need to teach their kids how to behave when they are not around and that there will be consequences at home if they screw up. This is coming from a single mother whose child behaves and has respect for his teachers.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    These people are idiots what they need to do is pull the school bus over and call someone with authority to come and take the child off and tell the parents that their child cannot ride on the bus anymore because she is unruly. While they are at it they should do it with all the troublemakers in school. Kick them out and let the parents deal with it, believe me parents having to take off work, etc to deal with their own kids “special needs” would nip the problem in the bud. Parents need to teach their kids how to behave when they are not around and that there will be consequences at home if they screw up. This is coming from a single mother whose child behaves and has respect for his teachers.
    I absolutely %100 agree butterfly! I have actually done the same thing on more then a few occasions. There is NOTHING this bus driver can say to justify doing what he did. Bus drivers are trained to deal with this situation exactly like you described. Usually the first offense lead to a two week ban, second offense was a total ban for the school year.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

"Seat belts leave welts. Today's bus driver uses Chloroform&#174;."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    "Seat belts leave welts. Today's bus driver uses Chloroform®."

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Alexis - who suffers from attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity

that qualifies her as special-needs?

I was wondering that myself...weird.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Oh every kid these days is special needs. Every kid is special and needs special treatment because he's mommy's little darling and if Samantha or Chadwick simply don't excell in every possible way that means they have a mental problem, it's not that mommy is pushing her own success neuroses onto her children.. heavens, no..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity
    Well, I would have to hear what the bus driver had to say. Perhaps she was always getting out of her seat to fetch something or do something. Of course if an accident happened, and she wasn't in her seat was seriously hurt, the bus driver would be responsible. Parents need to teach their kids at home, so no one needs to make them mind when they are away from home.
    I agree.
    While it wasn't the responsible thing to do, he probably had problems with this child before. When we were in school, they called your parents first and foremost-it was their responsibility to make sure the behaviour stopped. It wasn't the school's or the driver's responsibility. If they couldn't get the parents to correct the problem, they kicked them out of school or off the bus. No need for one unruly child to disrupt the classroom or bus...

Sorry, but I think it is funny that they went into such detail about the book she was trying to get out of her bag...who cares if the book was about Harriet Tubman or Dumbo the flying elephant-that shouldn't be used to make a statement....**poor little hyperactive black kid trying to get her book on Harriet Tubman to 'prepare for a book report' and the bus driver tied her ass up. She was trying to learn and he took that away from her. There are rules on a bus for obvious reasons. If she knew she wanted to 'prepare for her book report' she should have kept the book out of her bag when she got on the bus....**not trying to sound racial here....just wasn't needed in the scope of things. IMO that is to garner sympathy....**
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Thread Information