Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly bear kills Yellowstone hiker

Default Grizzly bear kills Yellowstone hiker

Grizzly bear kills Yellowstone hiker - Yahoo! News

CODY, Wyo (Reuters) - A female grizzly bear attacked and killed a man who encountered the bruin and her cubs while he was hiking with his wife on Wednesday in Yellowstone National Park, park officials said.
    The fatal mauling occurred about a mile and a half from the start of the Wapiti Lake trail, and another group of hikers nearby heard the victim's wife crying out for help and used a cell phone to call park rangers for assistance.
    A National Park Service statement said the couple had inadvertently surprised the mother grizzly and her cubs, and in "an attempt to defend a perceived threat to her cubs, the bear attacked and fatally wounded the man."
    The victim's identity and hometown have been withheld pending notification of other family members.
    The bears involved in Wednesday's encounter remained at large for the time being.
    Authorities are still investigating the circumstances of the attack, but initial information indicated the mother bear behaved normally in defending her cubs and would not be killed as a result of her actions, park spokeswoman Linda Miller said.
    Attacks by bears are extremely rare. No visitors were injured by bears in Yellowstone during all of last year, and Wednesday's incident marked the first bear-caused human death in the park since 1986, the Park Service said.
    But a mother grizzly killed one man and injured two other people in an unusual night-time attack on sleeping campers just outside Yellowstone in Montana last July. The bruin involved in that incident was later trapped and destroyed because the attacks were considered to be unprovoked.
    A bear warning sign is posted at Yellowstone's Wapiti Lake trailhead because it is an access point to the Pelican Valley area known for significant bear activity. No bear encounters had been reported along or near that trail this season, the Park Service said.

The bruin involved in [the killing] was later trapped and destroyed because the attacks were considered to be unprovoked.
    Still boggles my mind when bears are killed if it kills a a human in its own territory. Bears are wild animals and we were in their terrority!! It's not like they walked into a city and just started mauling everybody! FFS!!!
    Go Habs Go!!

Yeah, why the hell do they kill the animal? It's a damn grizzly bear. They are mean and they will kill.

Camp and hike at your own risk, people.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

So they left these cubs motherless? Hideous.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

No, the bear that was put down was a different bear: But a mother grizzly killed one man and injured two other people in an unusual night-time attack on sleeping campers just outside Yellowstone in Montana last July. The bruin involved in that incident was later trapped and destroyed because the attacks were considered to be unprovoked.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

That kind of thing continually chaps my ass - animals don't know the difference between "provoked" and "unprovoked". They just do what they have to do to survive - including investigating and/or attacking something they consider to be a threat to their territory, their own survival, or the health of offspring. They don't stand around and vote on it beforehand.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I heard on the news last night that the rangers decided the grizzly was acting in defense and they are not going to track and kill her.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I heard on the news last night that the rangers decided the grizzly was acting in defense and they are not going to track and kill her.
    Phew! I'm relieved to hear that.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

i wanna snuggle that big grizzly bear miuau!
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

holy shit!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    My hiking friend, who goes to Yellowstone frequently, was telling me about this story. According to what he heard, the hikers saw the bear. The bear didn't see them so they had a chance to get away from it, but they continued hiking drawing its attention. Which according to my friend, was exceedingly dumb. He says they should have quietly gotten the hell out of there.

There was a woman in my state who fe a bear that roamed in the woods near her house. One day he attacked her and they put him to sleep. Why? Its a fucking bear, they attack so don't feed them. Why should he have to die? Relocate him!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    There was a woman in my state who fe a bear that roamed in the woods near her house. One day he attacked her and they put him to sleep. Why? Its a fucking bear, they attack so don't feed them. Why should he have to die? Relocate him!
    The logic is that the bear you describe got used to humans as a food source. When the woman fed it scraps, the bear didn't understand that as a kind gesture. Too much Disney in that woman's head. Of course the bear was going to attack her someday! He wanted the big food, not the little shit she set out everyday.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    The logic is that the bear you describe got used to humans as a food source. When the woman fed it scraps, the bear didn't understand that as a kind gesture. Too much Disney in that woman's head. Of course the bear was going to attack her someday! He wanted the big food, not the little shit she set out everyday.
    Exactly and in that case - it was probably for the better since the bear WAS depending on humans for food. Someone would've been hurt eventually.

That's just another good reminder for hikers and campers to keep their food in bear proof containers and kept away from their camp and out of reach of bears.

In the case of the article though, it's good to hear they're not going to hunt after the bear as if it's true the hikers saw the bear and chose to not TURN THE FRIG AROUND well then...what did they expect the bear to do?
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

It doesn't matter how much the Park Service brochures or personnel warn or try and train/teach people, there are still tourists who I swear believe all animals located in national parks are Disney animatronic and are friendly, cute, and answer to the name "Bambi". I've seen many a tourist on my many trips to the Canadian Rockies chase wildlife into the woods, walk right up to a moose or elk and stick a camera in its face (they're not that good at posing), try to pose their children with them, or hold out a cheese sandwich thru their vehicle's window to supplement the animal's "meager" diet. Unless that bear is Ben the Bear (who's dead now anyway) and is trained to be around humans, chances are you're going to be on their buffet that day.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information