Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucson restaurant to offer African lion tacos

fgg

Default Tucson restaurant to offer African lion tacos

Boca, gaining a rep for exotic tacos, plans lion-meat offering

MATT YORK / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS 2010

In the six months since it launched Exotic Taco Wednesdays, Boca Tacos y Tequila has served up python, alligator, elk, kangaroo and rattlesnake.

Frog legs, turtle, duck and Rocky Mountain oysters have also made appearances.

"We've done just about anything we can get our hands on," said owner Bryan Mazon. "Every Wednesday we do something a little bit different."

Last week he announced on Boca's Facebook page that the UA-area taco shop was accepting prepaid orders for African lion, to be served on Feb. 16. Orders must be placed by 3 p.m. Feb. 7.

"I've gotten a lot of questions, like if it's legal," said Mazon, adding that a few lion tacos have been reserved so far. "We're still a month out, too."

According to the Food and Drug Administration, lion and other game meat can be sold as long as the species isn't endangered.

"I'm doing the African lion to get my name out," said Mazon, who used to be a salesman for City Meat and Provisions. "I've never tried it myself, but this one really caught my eye."

Mazon said he had heard about a Mesa restaurant, il Vinaio, that served burgers made with African lion to correspond with the World Cup in South Africa last summer. Reservations sold out, but others picketed the restaurant.

Most of Boca's exotic tacos range between $3 and $4. The lion tacos cost $8.75 apiece.

This is the first time Boca is pre-selling its tacos. But at $100 a pound of ground lion meat - $400 for a pound of tenderloin - it makes sense.

Mazon said he still expects to lose money on the lion, but is in it for exposure.

"In all reality, what I want is just people to know that I'm here," he said. "That's the way to do it. You can't get these tacos anywhere else."

His wife, Maria Jose Mazon, is Boca's chef and will make eight tacos per pound.

The couple usually order 2 to 3 pounds of meat for Exotic Wednesdays, with grilled alligator being the best-seller.

But rattlesnake made an impact, too.

"It's the one people want back the most," Mazon said. "It was the first one, and it's the one most talked about."

The couple plan to order the lion meat from a farm in Perris, Calif., which is southwest of Los Angeles.

For the lion, diners will build their own Sonoran street-style taco. They can add cabbage, guacamole, pickled red onions and diced cucumbers and any of the six house-made salsas to the tacos.

The Mazons opened their taco shop at 828 E. Speedway, in the former home of Greasy Tony's, the legendary sub shop, last June.

"I'm 50 percent local Tucsonans and 50 percent students," Mazon said. "We do gourmet tacos. Do I want to get more students? - sure.

"A lot of students might think that my price point isn't directed at them, but the average check is $8. Late night is 100 percent students."

Boca is open 11:30 a.m. to midnight Monday through Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, and noon until 10 p.m. on Sunday. Call 777-8134 for more information.

Boca, gaining a rep for exotic tacos, plans lion-meat offering

Posts like this make me want to become a vegetarian.

Hey I would try it...

I would have to see the DNA test to believe it anyway. I highly doubt this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

While African Lions aren't on the endangered list, they are considered to be vulnerable. I read that he doesn't even expect to make money. He's doing this solely as a publicity stunt. I wrote him an email. I'm not a vegetarian but I wouldn't eat something that is classified as "vulnerable". There's less than 21,000 lions in Africa. So make your taco with a cow.

Here's the email if anyone else wants to write one:

EMAIL:
    eatatboca@hotmail.com

I would have to see the DNA test to believe it anyway. I highly doubt this.
    Well I hope you're right. It's all over the news. I would think that he would have to be legit if he's publicizing it so much.

What an asshole.

Die in a fire fuckface.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Why not a side of powdered rhino horn?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Oh come on, he has no intention of cooking up a lion. It's called PUBLICITY and judging by all huffing and puffing it's working. Mind you, he's really out there serving such wacky stuff as....... duck.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh come on, he has no intention of cooking up a lion. It's called PUBLICITY and judging by all huffing and puffing it's working. Mind you, he's really out there serving such wacky stuff as....... duck.
    I don't think it's a publicity stunt. A restaurant in phoenix did the same thing last year: http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/foo...world-cup.html

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Die in a fire fuckface.
    yes!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Unfortunately this is Arizona we are talking about. A new up and coming contender for the crazy state crown. And one of the favorite places for Ohioans to move to/retire to...hmmm..wonder if there is a connection?

Boca Tacos y Tequila has served up python, alligator, elk, kangaroo and rattlesnake.

I've eaten elk and rattlesnake. The elk was great, the snake not so much.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Why can't he make them out of something that we need to get rid of? Like zebra mussels?

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    While African Lions aren't on the endangered list, they are considered to be vulnerable. I read that he doesn't even expect to make money. He's doing this solely as a publicity stunt. I wrote him an email. I'm not a vegetarian but I wouldn't eat something that is classified as "vulnerable". There's less than 21,000 lions in Africa. So make your taco with a cow.

Here's the email if anyone else wants to write one:

EMAIL: eatatboca@hotmail.com

Well I hope you're right. It's all over the news. I would think that he would have to be legit if he's publicizing it so much.
    Thank You for the email address!

I don't give a shit who or why or if.. he's getting an email from me.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information