Thread: Scientists say oil spill is 10 times the Exxon Valdez and growing: BP and Obama lie.

Thumbs down Scientists say oil spill is 10 times the Exxon Valdez and growing: BP and Obama lie.

BP and Obama administration officials have repeatedly downplayed the extent of the growing oil disaster in the Gulf, arguing that attempts to accurately measure the rate of flow at the seabed are impossible and unnecessary:

Jane Lubchenco, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Administrator: “Simply observing where the oil is coming out is insufficient to really calculate any flow rate with any degree of accuracy.” [White House briefing, 4/29/10]

Lamar McKay, President of BP America: “The volume estimates are based effectively on surface expression, because you can’t measure what’s coming out at the seabed.” [Senate testimony, 5/12/10]

Tom Mueller, BP: “We’re not going to take any extra efforts now to calculate flow there at this point. It’s not relevant to the response effort, and it might even detract from the response effort.” [5/14/10]

Doug Suttles, BP COO, Global Exploration: Since the beginning, we’ve said it’s almost impossible to get a precise number. But ourselves and people from NOAA and others believe that something around 5,000 — it’s actually barrels a day — is the best estimate.” [ABC News, 5/14/10]

Rear Adm. Mary Landry, U.S. Coast Guard: “If the well let go, the design engineers will tell you that it could be approximately 55,000 barrels per day. We don’t think we have that much, because we’ve got satellite imagery; we know what we’re responding to. We know how much we’re seeing on the surface; we can estimate that. So the upward bound of worst case could be approximately 55,000 barrels.” [Blogger call, 5/17/10]

Since April 29, the joint BP-federal command has relied on an estimate from NOAA scientists that the oil rate was increasing by 210,000 gallons (5000 barrels) a day, even though on April 27, independent scientists looking at the same satellite imagery estimated the flow rate was at least 850,000 gallons a day. Without explanation, the administration allowed BP to block scientists from observing the disaster and to suppress video feeds of the spewing oil.

On Wednesday, May 19, Purdue engineering professor Steve Wereley testified before the House Energy and Environment Subcommittee that the statements made by BP and administration officials are false:

There are two statements in the media that I’d like to take issue with and I think that many scientists take issue with. The first is that this leak can’t be measured, and the second is that it doesn’t need to be measured.

I think there’s no — I don’t see any possibility, any scenario in which their number is accurate. I could see potential scenarios in which our numbers could come down, particularly based on the gas to oil ratio. But from what I see in the videos, I don’t see the numbers coming down that significantly.

That’s the expected value, there’s an error bound around that, which I put at about 20 percent. So it could be considerably lower, roughly something short of 70,000, up to somewhere around 115,000. I’m definitely happy with saying that it’s fully an order of magnitude higher than what BP projects, without question.

Surface analysis by Dr. Ian McDonald and Dr. John Amos, and subsea video analyis by Dr. Eugene Chang, Dr. Timothy Crone, and Dr. Steve Wereley all indicate the apocalyptic oil spill is growing at a rate between 840,000 gallons to 4,200,000 gallons a day. The surface analysis is clearly a lower bound, as an unknown percentage of the oil is remaining below the surface in the form of toxic plumes hundreds of miles long. Over ten Exxon Valdezes worth of oil may have flooded the Gulf of Mexico already.

There is not, as Dr. Wereley testified, “any possibility” that the BP-NOAA “best estimate” is accurate.

Wonk Room » Scientists: BP Is Lying About Extent Of Oil Disaster
    More lies and corporate coverrups from President Douchebag
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It makes me nuts that nothing has been done about this - by anyone. All these assfarts are doing is pointing fingers and I guess they're hoping it'll eventually dry up or something. It's heartbreaking watching one of the most beautiful coastlines get ruined, taking with it jobs, livelihoods and sea creatures. Alaska is still cleaning up from the Exxon Valdez and will be for years - and now, so will we. I'd like to slap a few people into next century.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

the entire gulf, a good chunk of the carribean and a lot of the eastern seaboard (not to mention ireland, france, and a few others) are going to be covered in this shit once it swings around the tip of florida.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yep. It's sickening. How does a company get away with designing something as potentially destructive as an oil pipe, plopping it 5,000 feet below the surface of the ocean - with no fix for it if something goes wrong? I know WHY they do it (greed), but how do you get away with it? Oh yeah, they regulate themselves.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It's fucking disgusting.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    the entire gulf, a good chunk of the carribean and a lot of the eastern seaboard (not to mention ireland, france, and a few others) are going to be covered in this shit once it swings around the tip of florida.
    from esa :

Gulf of Mexico oil spill in the Loop Current

19 May 2010

Scientists monitoring the US oil spill with ESA’s Envisat radar satellite say that it has entered the Loop Current, a powerful conveyor belt that flows clockwise around the Gulf of Mexico towards Florida.

"With these images from space, we have visible proof that at least oil from the surface of the water has reached the current," said Dr Bertrand Chapron of Ifremer, the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea.

ASAR image 18 May

Dr Chapron and Dr Fabrice Collard of France's CLS have been combining surface roughness and current flow information with Envisat Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar (ASAR) data of the area to monitor the proximity of the oil to the current.

In the ASAR image above, acquired on 18 May, a long tendril of the oil spill (outlined in white) extends down into the Loop Current (red arrow).

"We performed advanced processing methods on the images to display surface features like variations in roughness and velocity, which provides insight into the spatial structure of the spill and its transport by surface currents," Dr Collard explained.

From the ASAR images of 12 May and 15 May, the oil spill was observed stretching increasingly closer to the Loop Current, raising concerns that it could reach the current and be carried south towards coral reefs in the Florida Keys.

ASAR image for 15 May

"Now that oil has entered the Loop Current, it is likely to reach Florida within six days," Dr Chapron said. "Since Envisat ASAR, ERS-2 and other SAR satellites are systematically planned to acquire data over the area, we will monitor the situation continuously."

The scientists warn however that since the Loop Current is a very intense, deep ocean current, its turbulent waters will accelerate the mixing of the oil and water in the coming days.

"This might remove the oil film on the surface and prevent us from tracking it with satellites, but the pollution is likely to affect the coral reef marine ecosystem," Dr Collard said.

ASAR image for 12 May

Combined efforts using satellite imagery and in-situ measurements of collected water samples will help to assess whether oil is in the deep waters of the ocean.

The Loop Current joins the Gulf Stream — the northern hemisphere’s most important ocean-current system — sparking fears that oil could enter this system and be carried up to the US East Coast.
    ESA Portal - Gulf of Mexico oil spill in the Loop Current

I agree, this whole thing is bloody disgusting, including the administration.

Money talks, bulls**t walks.

and guess who was a major contributor to Obama's campaign, according to CNN?

British Petroleum! Surprise surprise.

at the risk of karmic retribution, these fuckers need to be taken to task in a very serious way. lock all those motherfuckers up in Gitmo until we decide what to do with them.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information