Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl abducted in 1991 found alive

Post Girl abducted in 1991 found alive

Girl missing since 1991 found alive, police confirm - CNN.com

By Taylor Gandossy

(CNN) -- A girl abducted in 1991 as an 11-year-old has been found alive in California, the El Dorado County sheriff's office said Thursday.

Jaycee Dugard is in good health, the office said in a statement, but provided no details.

Earlier Thursday, Carl Probyn, Dugard's stepfather, told CNN that an FBI agent had called his wife, Terry, on Wednesday afternoon to tell her that Dugard had been found.

The girl was last seen walking to her bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, California, on June 10, 1991, according to the FBI.

At the time, "it was reported that a vehicle occupied by two individuals drove up to Jaycee Dugard and abducted her in view of her stepfather," the El Dorado County sheriff's office said Thursday. Despite extensive investigations, no sign of her or her possible abductors was ever found, authorities said.

Probyn said Dugard walked into a police station in Northern California earlier Wednesday. He said the FBI agent told his wife that authorities had "Jaycee and the people who she was with."
    He said no further details were provided, and that the conversation with the FBI agent was brief.

"It was short and sweet, and 'Can you fly up here?'" he said.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's office has scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) to discuss the case.

Probyn said his wife, who is flying Thursday from Southern California to meet with Dugard, spoke to her on Wednesday.

"Jaycee remembers everything," he said. "They talked back and forth and she had the right answers to all my wife's questions."

He said, "I would say it's a 99 percent chance it's her. I'm feeling great! ... It's like winning the lotto."

I just saw this on CNN. It's amazing! I really want to hear details on why she never went to the police sooner considering she is 28 years old now. I hear they have two people in custody. Brainwashed perhaps?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Damn that's wild...I wonder where the hell she's been. Her mother must be feeling a bit mixed up after all this time.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Well. I hope it's true...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's amazing, and no doubt a relief to the parents, but if it were my kid I'd be terrified at learning what had been going on all those years.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I really hope it's her. It gives me hope in other cases like the Madeliene McCann case.

Wow what an interesting story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I really hope it's her. It gives me hope in other cases like the Madeliene McCann case.
    It would me too if I didn't think that Maddie'd been killed already.

I'm glad this girl has been found but 18 yrs is a long time to be missing.... I wonder what the rest of the story here is?
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Here's another article on it. Mostly a re-hash, but it seems she was not held captive. Stockholm syndrome, maybe?

Woman abducted 18 years ago in South Lake Tahoe has been found
    August 27, 2009 | 11:34 am

A 29-year-old woman abducted from South Lake Tahoe as a child 18 years ago has been found, and a couple has been arrested in connection with the case, authorities said today.

Jaycee Dugard walked into the office of the Concord, Calif., Police Department on Wednesday, about 200 miles from where she was abducted, said Lt. Les Lovell of the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department.

Concord police had recently discovered Dugard's whereabouts through their own investigation, but it's unclear what kind of contact they may have had with her before she showed up at the station, Lovell said.

Details about the last 18 years of Dugard's life are still unclear. "She wasn't held captive or anything, it doesn't appear," Lovell said.

[Updated, 11:30 a.m.: Dugard was 11 when she was abducted on June 10, 1991, as she walked to a school bus stop on a quiet cul-de-sac in Meyers, Calif., in El Dorado County, authorities said at the time.

As Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, watched from the family garage 200 yards away, a late-model gray car -- with a man and a second person, believed to be a woman, inside -- stopped abruptly in front of the girl. Jaycee was then swept into the sedan, authorities said.

Probyn gave chase on a bicycle but the car sped off. "There was nothing I could do," he recalled.

Despite a massive search, local outrage and being featured on the "America's Most Wanted" television program, Dugard was not found. Investigators were unable to identify a suspect.

On Wednesday, two people, whose identities have not been released, were taken into custody in connection to the abduction, Lovell said.

The Contra Costa Times reported that Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, spoke with her daughter and is on her way to Northern California from her Riverside County home.

-- My-Thuan Tran
    Woman abducted 18 years ago in South Lake Tahoe has been found [updated] | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

The guy is a prime candidate for a dexterization

The guy arrested in connection with the case is a registered sex offender and a God nutter

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Well. I hope it's true...

Yep... I personally would have waited for the DNA results...
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

the news is saying that she was a sex slave. my local news said it... dunno.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

MSNBC.com
    Sheriff: 1991 kidnap victim found alive

Woman reported healthy; couple arrested in her 1991 abduction
    The Associated Press
    updated 3:19 p.m. PT, Thurs., Aug 27, 2009

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A woman who was snatched from a bus stop as an 11-year-old child in 1991 turned up after 18 mysterious years, and a convicted sex offender and his wife who were with her have been arrested in the kidnapping.

On Thursday, Jaycee Lee Dugard was reunited with her mother, who was overjoyed to learn the daughter she feared dead was actually alive.

It was not immediately clear how Dugard spent the 18 years since she was abducted as a ponytailed child outside her South Lake Tahoe home.

Authorities said the case began to unravel on Wednesday when Phillip Garrido, 58, a registered sex offender, was seen with two small children on the University of California Berkeley campus. A state parole agent asked Garrido to come in the next day for questioning.

Garrido showed up at the parole office in Concord with two adult women and two children. The parole agent called Concord police to help with the investigation. It was determined that one of the women was Garrido's wife, Nancy Garrido, 54, and the other was Dugard, corrections officials said Thursday.

"The diligent questioning and follow-up by the parolee's agent of record led to Garrido revealing his kidnapping of the adult female," the department said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear who was the mother of the two children.

Garrido and his wife were arrested for investigation of kidnapping and conspiracy. They were being held in El Dorado County in lieu of $1 million bail each.

Phillip Garrido is also being held for investigation of rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and sexual penetration, said Jimmie Lee, a spokesman for the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department.

Phillip Garrido has a conviction for rape by force or fear and was paroled from a Nevada state prison in 1999, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Dugard was in good health when she showed up at the parole station, officials said.

"We're 99 percent sure it's her," said sheriff's Lt. Les Lovell of the El Dorado Sheriff's Department, who was a detective assigned to help investigate the kidnapping in 1991. DNA tests were being conducted.

FBI spokesman Joe Schadler said the woman was reunited with her mother Thursday morning. He declined to provide details.

'It wasn't normal behavior'
    A house in the city of Antioch, where the Garridos apparenyly lived, was cordoned off with police tape as it was searched by FBI agents and the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department.

Neighbor Helen Boyer, 78, described the Garridos as nice and friendly and said they cared for Phillip Garrido's elderly mother.

"If I needed something, they would be the first I would call on," Boyer said.

But next-door neighbor Haydee Perry told the San Francisco Chronicle that there was something strange about the family.

When Phillip Garrido helped her jump-start her car a month ago, he had a young girl with him, Perry told the newspaper. The girl was pre-adolescent and clinging to the man in way that seemed odd, Perry said.

"She stayed close to him at all times," Perry told the newspaper. "It wasn't normal behavior. She had a blank stare on her face. Now it seems like a cry out for help."

"I just thought he was weird," Perry said. "You have children and they're never outside, and you have bars on your windows."

Family overwhelmed
    Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, 60, said he was overwhelmed by the news that Dugard was alive. He said for years he had done everything he could to help find her, especially because he knew suspicion had fallen on him.

"It broke my marriage up. I've gone through hell, I mean I'm a suspect up until yesterday," he told The Associated Press at his home in Orange, Calif. "I'm the last person to see her."

Witnesses reported that a vehicle with two people drove up to Dugard and abducted her while her stepfather watched on June 10, 1991.

Probyn said he saw someone reach out and grab her before the car sped away.

"As soon as I saw the door fly open, the driver's door, I jumped on my mountain bike and I tried to get to the top of the hill but I had no energy. I rode back down and yelled at my neighbor, 911!" he recalled.

Probyn said his wife, from whom he is separated, was devastated by the kidnapping. He said for 10 years after the crime, she would take a week off work at Christmas and on the anniversary of the abduction and spend the time crying at home.

National attention
    The case attracted national attention and was featured on TV's "America's Most Wanted," which broadcast a composite drawing of a suspect seen in the car.

Probyn eventually lost hope that he would ever see his stepdaughter alive. He said he was struggling to understand why Dugard didn't come forward earlier.

"I have a million questions, but I'm just delighted," he said.

Lovell said investigators have been working the case consistently since the abduction and new leads had surfaced over time.

"You bet it's a surprise. This is not the normal resolution to a kidnapping," he said.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Sheriff: 1991 kidnap victim found alive - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2009 MSNBC.com

Wackjob had blogs: Voices Revealed

more: Blogger: User Profile: themanwhospokewithhismind

He can control sound with his mind!
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information