Thread: Corazon Aquino, first female leader of the Philippines, dies aged 76

Unhappy Corazon Aquino, first female leader of the Philippines, dies aged 76

(My Filipino mom just called me and she was quite emotional. I asked her what was wrong, and she said former President Corazon Aquino had died. My mom said Corazon Aquino was a remarkable lady who tried to improve the lives of the poverty-stricken people of the Philippines. When her husband was assassinated, she accepted her country's call to service and went from a housewife to a president. She was not a trained nor a particulary competent administrator, but she did her best with what she was given. Corazon means "heart" in Spanish. And, boy, she had a lot of it. RIP Tita Cory. )

Corazon Aquino, first female leader of the Philippines, dies aged 76

August 1, 2009

Corazon Aquino was known by supporters as 'Tita (Auntie) Cory'

Corazon Aquino, the former Filipino President who led her country after heading the revolt that swept away the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos, has died aged 76.

She had advanced colon cancer diagnosed last year and had been confined to a hospital in Manila for more than a month.

The “people power” uprising she led in 1986 ended a repressive 20-year regime and inspired non-violent protests across the globe, including those that ended Communist rule in Eastern Europe.

She struggled in office to meet high public expectations and her land redistribution programme fell short of ending economic domination by the elites, including her own family.

However, the bespectacled, smiling woman in her trademark yellow dress remained beloved in the Philippines, where she was affectionately referred to as “Tita (Auntie) Cory”.

Ms Aquino’s unlikely rise began in 1983 when her husband, the opposition leader Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr, was assassinated. The killing enraged Filipinos and unleashed a broad-based opposition movement. Following an election in 1986 in which Marcos claimed victory, military chiefs pledged their loyalty to Mrs Aquino.

She was sworn in as the Philippines’ first female leader on February 25, the day that Marcos and his wife, Imelda, fled into exile in Hawaii. He died three years later.

Corazon Aquino, first female leader of the Philippines, dies aged 76 - Times Online
    Rock the fuck on!

R.i.p.

Thread Information