Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trial for US soldier who raped and murdered 14-year-old Iraqi girl

Default Trial for US soldier who raped and murdered 14-year-old Iraqi girl

Green trial prosecutors tell of gruesome scene

Posted on 2009 April 29 by bbvm
    PADUCAH, Ky. — A former U.S. Army soldier accused of raping an Iraqi girl and killing her and her family was upset after losing multiple friends in combat but didn’t appear to struggle more than anyone else in the unit, one of his commanding officers said.
    Steven Dale Green, 23, of Midland, Texas, faces more than a dozen charges, including sexual assault and four counts of murder, stemming from the March 2006 attack in Iraq’s so-called “Triangle of Death.” He has pleaded not guilty to killing the 14-year-old girl, her mother, father and 6-year-old sister.
    Colonel Todd Ebel told jurors on the first day of the trial Monday that he spoke with Green in December 2005 about losing soldiers to enemy attacks. But, Ebel said, beyond frustration, the private didn’t appear unfit to remain in the Army.
    “Yes, he was frustrated with Iraqis,” Ebel said. “Mostly, he was frustrated with the idea that we can’t recognize [insurgents]. They don’t wear uniforms.”
    Ebel was expected to open testimony Tuesday morning, when Green’s attorneys would get a chance to question him about how the unit was handled and the conditions under which they served.
    Prosecutors said in opening statements that Green and three other soldiers attacked the family at their home near Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Skaret said Green fatally shot the rest of the family before becoming the third soldier to rape the teenager.
    After he shot the girl in the face several times, Green used kerosene to set fire to her body, Skaret said.
    See also: Jury set for Steven Dale Green, charged with raping a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her and her family

“They left behind the carnage of all carnage,” Skaret said.
    The defense asked jurors to consider the extraordinary circumstances confronting soldiers while serving in Iraq. Green is being tried in a civilian court because he was discharged from the Army before being charged.
    Skaret told jurors that a group of soldiers, including Green, was playing cards and drinking whiskey at a checkpoint. Talk turned to having sex with Iraqi women, when one soldier mentioned the al-Janabi family, who lived nearby, Skaret said.
    Skaret said Green used a shotgun to kill the three family members in a room and told the soldiers that the family was dead.
    He then raped the girl and shot her, according to Skaret. Later, Green would talk about the killings to superior officers, other soldiers and even civilian friends, Skaret said.
    In Green’s defense, attorney Patrick Bouldin painted a picture of young soldiers in harsh wartime conditions, lacking leadership and receiving little help from the Army to deal with the loss of their friends.
    Bouldin said before the attack, Green had lost five colleagues in combat, including four in a short span.
    He said soldiers had lost so many friends and leaders they could no longer perform their duties.
    “Context,” Bouldin said. “You’ve got to understand the context.”
    Green’s trial is being held in Paducah because of the western Kentucky city’s proximity to Fort Campbell on the Kentucky-Tennessee border, where Green was a private with the 101st Airborne Division.
    Other soldiers involved in the attack were prosecuted in military court, including two who pleaded guilty and acknowledged taking part in the rape. Prosecutors said a third who was convicted had gone to the family’s home knowing what was planned. A fourth who stayed behind at the checkpoint pleaded guilty to being an accessory, they said.
    Green’s discharge papers show he received an honorable discharge in May 2006 after being diagnosed with a personality disorder.
    Bouldin said Green was prescribed a mood-stabilizing drug, but the Army never followed up on his mental state before the attack.
    “He told the psychologist, ‘I’m so upset. I’m having trouble here. I want to kill all these guys [Iraqis] because I can’t tell them apart,’ ” Bouldin said.
    Related reading

Opening statements in Green trial
    Feds seek to force testimony in Green case
    Jury set for Iraq slayings trial
    Green trial prosecutors tell of gruesome scene « Big Bear Observation Post

I hope he's very 'popular' in prison.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Ugh, just kill the bastard.

Really. He needs killing.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

“Context,” Bouldin said. “You’ve got to understand the context.”
    Oh really??? In what "context" exactly is raping and murdering a 14 year old girl justifiable???

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Oh really??? In what "context" exactly is raping and murdering a 14 year old girl justifiable???
    Never. Ever,ever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What do you expect from people that are torn down to nothing and then handed guns?

The defense's excuse is kind of a slap in the face to the other honorable soldiers who are fighting for freedom while maintaining their decency and obeying the laws...I mean not all soldiers who see friends die go out and rape teens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Attorney Brian Skaret said Green fatally shot the rest of the family before becoming the third soldier to rape the teenager.
    After he shot the girl in the face several times, Green used kerosene to set fire to her body, Skaret said.

My God.
    The "third soldier" to rape the teenager.
    That poor girl and her family. He should never have any freedom again.
    Anyone know what military prisons are like? I don't know anything about them.

The defense asked jurors to consider the extraordinary circumstances confronting soldiers while serving in Iraq.
    That's a bullshit defense. You've got plenty of soldiers in those same circumstances and they aren't raping and killing. And what about the extraordinary circumstances that the people in Iraq faced after their country was invaded based on a lie.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Exactly. Now, I won't condemn someone for shooting up a family if it so happens that they were being shot at by someone from inside the home, for example. It's sad that innocnets die but in these situations people have to shoot to defend themselves even if it means some unintendeds get hurt or killed. However, no one rapes if they aren't a rapist, period. There is no self defense in it and only someone inclined to be that way at home would be a rapist over there,too. Using the war excuse doesn't fly when you are talking about rape.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

He did it there,he would do it here. He is a monster.

Its so scary when we get nutjobs that somehow slip by and get in the military, then the gov't trains them to be professional killers and then gives them a gun to carry around 24/7.

Also, I think this guy was discharged from the military due to "sociopathic" behavior and this was BEFORE this case came to light.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Bouldin said Green was prescribed a mood-stabilizing drug, but the Army never followed up on his mental state before the attack.“He told the psychologist, ‘I’m so upset. I’m having trouble here. I want to kill all these guys [Iraqis] because I can’t tell them apart,’ ” Bouldin said.
    That should have been a BIG red flag. The army is partially responsible for not checking up on this guy, just by this comment alone he was mentally unstable. I wouldn't have put a gun in his hands after a comment such as that. Also, they were drinking whiskey at a checkpoint? This was a recipe for failure. This guy deserves to be strung up by his testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    What do you expect from people that are torn down to nothing and then handed guns?
    I know plenty of soldiers who would never even think of doing such a thing.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^ Oh, I do too, but I know plenty that are also fucked up because of the 'training' and stuff they go through.

This guy was a classic sociopath, if undiagnosed, before he ever got to Iraq. Just based on what I've seen reported. Actually, a lot of these types go into the military for various reasons....very few are turned into psycho freaks by the experience, PTSD notwithstanding.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information