Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Stairway To Heaven"'s guitar solo voted the best of all time

Default "Stairway To Heaven"'s guitar solo voted the best of all time

STAIRWAY To Heavenís guitar solo has been voted the best of all time by music fans.

The Led Zeppelin classic beat Van Halenís Eruption and Guns ní Rosesí Paradise City in the Total Guitar magazine poll.

Rest of Top 10: 4 Hotel California (The Eagles); 5 Enter Sandman (Metallica); 6 Crossroads (Cream); 7 Voodoo Child (Jimi Hendrix); 8 Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne); 9 All Right Now (Free); 10 Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen).
    thesun.co.uk

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: "Stairway To Heaven"'s guitar solo voted the best of all time

Stairway to Heaven is a cool song. I'd love to learn how to play the guitar solo!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I'm always hypnotized by the guitar solo in 'The fly' by U2.

I like the guitar riffs in a lot of U2 songs, too. I don't know the guitarist's name but he uses the distortion device a lot. I tried to learn Pride:In the Name of Love but I don't have that synthesizer distortion device thingy and yea I couldn't do it

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

The Edge.

He uses a magnet over the strings too.
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

That reminds me of Van Halen (I think that's who it was, or was it Deep Purple...) using some kinda dremel tool to pick at the gutiar strings...

Led Zeppelin fricking rock!!!

A friend totally brought over ZOSO on record and we listened to it last night and it was awesome. Stairway to Heaven is just such an amazing song. I love it!

Yup. definately a reason why Led Zep's music lives on and on...they had talent, missing today from most of the music scene.

Love how Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is the most "recent" song on this list.
    Let's AV DIS!

Quote Originally Posted by milky*mcgee
    Love how Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is the most "recent" song on this list.
    I don't know if that speaks to a lack of talent though. In the early nineties guitar solos and shredding started to be looked upon as self-indulgent, relics of a cock-rock past that the newer bands wanted to move beyond. The grunge musicians saw them as blatant showmanship and thought they were purely commerical additions to songs, not artistically organic ones.

While bands such as Guns n' Roses and Led Zeppelin had a lot to offer musically, it's understandable that these newer musicians (who, for better or worse, set the tone for the next decade's "alternative" rock) wanted to categorically move away from what was often deemed sexist and lyrically simplistic rock. They wanted more focus on lyrics and an overall tone in the music, rather than distinct guitar riffs. You do still see some quite impressive solos nowadays, but they tend to be far shorter in length and so less identifiable.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

It might not be talent but I'd say some pop-rock/pop- alternative guitarists today do lack the kind of dexterity and skills to pull of the type of guitar solos that were prevalent in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
    It's so much easier to blast chords, but you need some serious skills to do a complex and melodic guitar solo.
    I like some 70's and 80's metal and have attempted to learn some songs on my electric guitar. I also find it personally more enjoyable to play that kind of guitar riffs than memorizing different chords.
    I'm an amateur though.

I feel the exact same way as your moomies, for sure. I am still very much a beginner on my acoustic, but I look forward to the day that I feel I am decent enough to get myself an electric!

some of the guitar solos done by Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix are so beautiful, I've cried listening to them.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tati
    I don't know if that speaks to a lack of talent though. In the early nineties guitar solos and shredding started to be looked upon as self-indulgent, relics of a cock-rock past that the newer bands wanted to move beyond. The grunge musicians saw them as blatant showmanship and thought they were purely commerical additions to songs, not artistically organic ones.

While bands such as Guns n' Roses and Led Zeppelin had a lot to offer musically, it's understandable that these newer musicians (who, for better or worse, set the tone for the next decade's "alternative" rock) wanted to categorically move away from what was often deemed sexist and lyrically simplistic rock. They wanted more focus on lyrics and an overall tone in the music, rather than distinct guitar riffs. You do still see some quite impressive solos nowadays, but they tend to be far shorter in length and so less identifiable.
    you should work at muchmusic! all they put on are stupid morons with too much makeup

^^Oh me, too. Almost anyone who plays an electric guitar will want to play that song!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information