Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Tiger Woods in surgery after suffering injury in 1-car rollover accident

Dying on a hill is not a sport!
    mostroop, palta, Trixie and 7 others like this.

The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports. -- wiki

*throws gas on fire*
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

mo probably has opinions on whether throwing gas on a fire is a sport or not but i'll allow it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports. -- wiki

*throws gas on fire*

But is cheerleading a sport?

"Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

Sheriff's dept. executes search warrant on Tiger Woods' car: 'Trying to determine if a crime was committed'

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department executed a search warrant to investigate the black box from the car Tiger Woods crashed last week.

Sheriff’s Deputy John Schloegl confirmed to USA Today on Tuesday that the department sought data from the car to determine if criminal charges were necessary. He characterized the warrant as due diligence, according to the report.

“We’re trying to determine if a crime was committed,” Schloegl said, per USA Today. “If somebody is involved in a traffic collision, we’ve got to reconstruct the traffic collision, if there was any reckless driving, if somebody was on their cell phone or something like that.

"We determine if there was a crime. If there was no crime, we close out the case, and it was a regular traffic collision.”

Schloegl's statement contradicts Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, who declared last week that the single-car rollover was "purely an accident."

Villanueva last week: 'This is nothing like' reckless driving
    Villanueva told reporters on Wednesday that officials would investigate the black box to determine cause, but ruled out charges of reckless driving or otherwise.

"No," Villanueva said when asked if Woods could face a reckless driving charge. "A reckless driving charge has a lot of elements into it. This is purely an accident."

Villanueva then explained that investigators would seek to determine if a driving infraction was warranted.

"Reckless driving is actually more than an infraction," Villanueva continued. "That's a misdemeanor crime that has a lot of elements attached to it. This is nothing like that."

Officials address contradicting statements
    Villanueva made that statement a day after the crash and prior to the completion of the investigation, which is still ongoing. The Sheriff's department issued the following statement to USA Today to address the conflicting information provided by Villanueva and Schloegl:

“The Sheriff spoke about the information known at that time, and said it appeared to be a traffic accident,” the statement reads, per USA Today. “However, the traffic collision investigation is (on)going and traffic investigators have not made any conclusions as to the cause of the collision.”

Deputy: 'No probable cause' to obtain blood sample
    The Sheriff's Department continues to rule out intoxication playing a role in the crash. Villanueva said on the day of the accident that there "was no evidence of impairment" on the scene.

Schloegl told USA Today that law enforcement did not seek a warrant to examine blood that might have been collected from Woods at the hospital. He said that Woods had been cooperative and that there was "no probable" cause for a warrant.

Latest on Woods' condition
    Woods underwent emergency surgery to repair multiple fractures of his right leg and a shattered right ankle. The accident took place on a winding stretch of road south of Los Angeles known as a hot spot for accidents. Woods was driving downhill when his car hit a median and rolled before coming to a stop in a gully.

Woods remained hospitalized over the weekend for followup procedures with his team declaring that he was "recovering and in good spirits."

There have been no updates on Woods' condition since he tweeted his thanks on Sunday after fellow PGA Tour golfers honored him by wearing his trademark red shirt and black pants at the World Golf Championships-Workday Championship.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sheriffs-de...033336250.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

. Villanueva last week: 'This is nothing like' reckless driving
    Um, did he not see how long the debris path was? Traveling at that high rate of speed on a stretch of road they continue to emphasize is curvy and dangerous is the very definition of reckless. I try so hard to be sympathetic about these things, but, just like with the Paul Walker accident, I just end up angry that someone felt the need to endanger others by driving down a residential road at that rate of speed and relieved that nobody else was hurt.

The discussion about golf as an elitist sport reminded me of a story that occurred in a small Mississippi Delta town in the late 70’s. There was a country club that denied entry to an African-American cardiologist for some “unknown reason.” Despite being one of the richest men in the county as well as a respected member of the community, this group of nasty redneck bigots who controlled country club membership would not let him in. (He actually liked playing the game, and just wanted a place to play). The course was foreclosed on a few years later, and the surgeon bought the whole damn thing. He then turned around and made it a public course, denying entry to no one, including the assholes who had done it to him. He is a bigger person than I will ever be! That has nothing to do with Tiger’s accident...just felt like sharing

and given his DU-ambien history, of course the police will investigate any accident he's involved in.
    Flygirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    The discussion about golf as an elitist sport reminded me of a story that occurred in a small Mississippi Delta town in the late 70’s. There was a country club that denied entry to an African-American cardiologist for some “unknown reason.” Despite being one of the richest men in the county as well as a respected member of the community, this group of nasty redneck bigots who controlled country club membership would not let him in. (He actually liked playing the game, and just wanted a place to play). The course was foreclosed on a few years later, and the surgeon bought the whole damn thing. He then turned around and made it a public course, denying entry to no one, including the assholes who had done it to him. He is a bigger person than I will ever be! That has nothing to do with Tiger’s accident...just felt like sharing
    That's a great story!
    Flygirl likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    But is cheerleading a sport?

I was a cheerleader in high school. I never considered it a sport.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

"I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

czb

yeah. the cheerleading that isn't just rah rah and they toss each other in the air and build pyramids and the like, i consider that a sport.
    sputnik and MsDark like this.

fgg

^if gymnastics is a sport then so is that kind of cheerleading.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

It’s definitely physically demanding. I think sport in general is just a really broad term. You can have differences between competitive vs performative activities or between subjective vs objectively scored sports, etc. Is the term just as broad in other languages or is it really just an English catch-all kind of word?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

In German it's the same. Like, chess is a sport (probably because it's competitive?), but if someone asks you if you do any sports, you wouldn't answer chess, or darts. It's more like a hobby then.
    -

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information