Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Kelly Osbourne uses her sobriety to stay relevant in 2020

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandknight View Post
    At least she was honest this time about the gastric surgery, I think this is the second time she's had it.
    So?

Personally, I had gastric bypass and a fix due to extreme complications. I have never not spoken about it but that's my story to share. Not everyone feels the same and often because others try to shame you- kind of like you and your statement "at least she was honest". It's none your business.

fgg

^i'm not sure where grandknight is coming from but i look at it like when you are shouting from the rooftops that you lost a bunch of weight - as a celebrity - and not being honest about how you did it, you are setting expectations for others that aren't attainable. if it isn't used to gain press, then sure, it is her business and we'd just speculate on how she lost the weight. as a private citizen, what you choose to do is your business and no one else's.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ^i'm not sure where grandknight is coming from but i look at it like when you are shouting from the rooftops that you lost a bunch of weight - as a celebrity - and not being honest about how you did it, you are setting expectations for others that aren't attainable. if it isn't used to gain press, then sure, it is her business and we'd just speculate on how she lost the weight. as a private citizen, what you choose to do is your business and no one else's.
    Frankly, eating "right" and exercising is the biggest part of WLS, especially the sleeve or the band (which Kelly and Sharon had). Sure, you have restrictions but how many people never made it to goal, or gained it all back? Those are the people not eating right and moving. Those are the people all of us know. The "success" stories, much less spoken about.

Again, personally I was never opposed to speaking about my surgery. Stigma and shame is a huge issue when it comes to WLS. So many people will tell you that you're taking the easy way out, you're cheating, why don't you just eat right/less/move more on and on. Hell, I heard all three from my own family and closest friends. Until you are *that* person considering surgery or undergoing it, you won't understand the stigma and shaming that takes place. While I'm not 100% on board with people not being 100% forthcoming I am also on the side of your business is your business.

I went back to see what was said and when.

In October 2020, she said that gastric band surgery in 2018 had helped put her on the road to an eventual 85-pound weight loss. She also made clear that the surgery alone didn't account for the loss because if you aren't following all the other rules associated with the surgery, you could also gain weight.

I doubt that I would have announced the surgery as soon as she had it in 2018 either. I don't think I would have wanted to set expectations with the general public about how I would do with something like this. That sounds like pressure and distraction that you just don't need - whether you are a person who lives in the public eye or not.

Anyway, the thing I was wondering is - do they eventually take the band off after the person loses weight, or is it permanent?

fgg

my MIL and SIL both had gastric bypass and they both thought it was going to be a miracle cure, but they didn't change the way they ate or the fact that food was their main focus so they've gone through the surgery and really not lost any weight.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

czb

they didn't lose any weight? how frustrating!

The daughter of a friend had a gastric band done and she lost like 120 pounds or so. She is literally half the size she was. I was under the (maybe wrong) impression the surgery makes your stomach tiny to where you physically can’t eat more than a few spoonfuls, so I am wondering how people manage to not lose weight?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

There are several different WLS, the band, the sleeve, RNY (gastric bypass), the duodenal switch.

Kelly had the gastric sleeve. They remove 80% of your stomach and shape the remaining 20% into a banana. It has a relatively good success rate without the nutritional malabsorption that comes with RNY.

Re: gastric banding- it stays forever unless you’re having severe complications. They need to remove a portion of the stomach to remove the band. It has the lowest success rate in terms of both loss and maintenance. The band restriction is based on saline fluid injected through a port (or removed she “overfilled”)

Most bariatric surgeons no longer do banding as the complication rate is very high and success is low. Expected excess weight lost is 20%. Sleeve is about 65-75% and RNY is about 85%.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    my MIL and SIL both had gastric bypass and they both thought it was going to be a miracle cure, but they didn't change the way they ate or the fact that food was their main focus so they've gone through the surgery and really not lost any weight.
    Surgery fixes your stomach, not your head. I fight my head constantly. I’m 9 years out and have maintained more than a hundred pound loss. I have to work at it. I’m just like “normal” people despite being sliced and diced. My head at tomes overrules my egg sized stomach. But it’s a fight I’ll continue to fight.

Yes. Some bariatric procedures are more “permanent” than others. I know some who have had the surgery and have maintained, but went through, for a short time, replacing (their words, not mine) self-medicating with food with other things. And pre-TLC’s show where folks became more aware of preparing for and preparing for after bariatric surgery.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    Yes. Some bariatric procedures are more “permanent” than others. I know some who have had the surgery and have maintained, but went through, for a short time, replacing (their words, not mine) self-medicating with food with other things. And pre-TLC’s show where folks became more aware of preparing for and preparing for after bariatric surgery.
    Transfer addictions are a real concern. IMO not enough attention is paid to mental health during both the approval process or post surgery.

My first go round of approvals I had literally a 10 minute meeting with a Psychologist. “Why do you want to have surgery?” “I’m 35 and a type 2. My father had a widow maker heart attack at 44. Both his parents had multiple heart attacks and died due to diabetes complications. I’m not ready to die.”

Literally, that was the conversation. 9 minutes filling out the paperwork that would be submitted to insurance and one minute chatting.

My second surgery my insurance had me go through the same hoops again l, 6 months worth, all the while my intestines were going necrotic and I had an ulcer perforate and acid pouring into my pancreas, my liver fused to my abdominal wall and my little stomach sitting in my diaphragm due to a huge hiatal hernia not repaired during the first surgery.

That time around I went through a different bariatric program. They sent me to a psychologist who specializes in the WLS population. He was amazing. Our order meeting was nearly 2 hours. 4 years later, I meet with him every 8 weeks for a “tune up”. He’s really helped keep me on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    There are several different WLS, the band, the sleeve, RNY (gastric bypass), the duodenal switch.

Kelly had the gastric sleeve. They remove 80% of your stomach and shape the remaining 20% into a banana. It has a relatively good success rate without the nutritional malabsorption that comes with RNY.

Re: gastric banding- it stays forever unless you’re having severe complications. They need to remove a portion of the stomach to remove the band. It has the lowest success rate in terms of both loss and maintenance. The band restriction is based on saline fluid injected through a port (or removed she “overfilled”)

Most bariatric surgeons no longer do banding as the complication rate is very high and success is low. Expected excess weight lost is 20%. Sleeve is about 65-75% and RNY is about 85%.
    Thanks for clarifying. She had it done in Mexico, not sure why. They didn’t remove anything and she recovered really fast.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I’m not certain, but think bariatric surgery is less expensive in Mexico because doctors there have less overhead and hoops through which to jump. I might be incorrect but when writing a pub for work when bariatric surgery just came on the scene, read some articles that it was easier to get approved or have the surgery in Mexico than it was in the states. (This was back in the phen-fen medication days and then phen-fen proved dangerous).

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I’m not certain, but think bariatric surgery is less expensive in Mexico because doctors there have less overhead and hoops through which to jump. I might be incorrect but when writing a pub for work when bariatric surgery just came on the scene, read some articles that it was easier to get approved or have the surgery in Mexico than it was in the states. (This was back in the phen-fen medication days and then phen-fen proved dangerous).
    It’s much easier outside of the US in places like Mexico, DR, etc. The criteria for insurance isn’t there so long as you can self pay you’ll pretty much get the procedure of your choice.

My cousin’s wife had the sleeve done in DR and follow up plastics (breasts and tummy tuck) She’s originally from there so she convalesced at her mothers. She self paid bc in the US no doctor she saw would approve based on her BMI even being a self pay. She was maybe 50 pounds over weight and imo mainly leftover baby weight from 3 back to back pregnancies.

Honestly she looks fantastic but I still feel it was an extreme measure for loss. And that’s my bitchy judgement and it makes me feel terrible because I'm falling into the mindset of eat better, move more and you’ll lose. When I damn well know it’s not that easy.

She also had some complications when she returned state side and her insurance would not pay. She had to fly back to the DR to have them taken care of.

Silver Member

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-teenager.html

Her whole family became a spectacle on reality television show when The Osbournes was unleashed on to MTV viewers in 2002, but Sharon and Ozzy's oldest daughter Aimee became best known for refusing to let the cameras into her life.
    But now 32, the shy brunette is making a play for the limelight by launching a singing career of her own but has admitted to the Independent that she is no longer close with her famous siblings Kelly and Jack Osbourne.
    And while the family all speak with an American-inflected twang after years living in the US, Aimee has still preserved her cut-glass English tones

In March this year, Kelly and Aimee Osbourne put their neighbouring West Hollywood homes up for sale at a loss.
    The sisters have only lived next door to each other since July 2014, when Kelly bought the house next door to Aimee for $2 (£1.3) million.
    Aimee is also trying to have her big career break after spending years trying to launch her singing career although she's currently not signed to a label and said she wouldn't without full artistic control.

But her under-the-radar approach seems to be working and her song 'Raining Gold' has been viewed on YouTube over 2 million times despite Aimee having no social media presence.
    She's also avoided the pitfalls of her siblings and told the Independent she purposefully stayed away from the rock 'n roll lifestyle.
    She said: 'When you are already surrounded by that kind of thing, you either surrender fully and accept it as your destiny, or you think to yourself, "You know what? I'm not going to try that actually".
    'OK it may have been their [her siblings'] thing but I didn't want to do that.
    'I kept it together, mostly. For me, watching people get out of control, and be indulgent and dramatic was very silly.'

Aimee moved out of the family home aged 18 when the reality television series which ran for four series began, and avoided the pitfalls many of her family made.
    Sister Kelly, 30, has spoken in detail about her drug battles, even admitting to taking 50 pills a day after becoming addicted aged 16 to opiates.
    Brother Jack revealed an addiction to the controversial painkiller OxyContin and was treated in rehab, but the 29-year-old has now been clean since 2003.
    Aimee told the newspaper she was against the family taking up MTV's offer to film their home lives from the start because she wanted to protect her family
    She said: 'Back then, I still felt I was trying to figure out who I was in the chaos of family life, so why on earth would I want that portrayed on television?

'I wanted to protect myself, my parents, my siblings too. They were very young, very impressionable.'
    She described the family vote as 'shouting matches' but said she was out-voted four to one.
    The reality series was a hit around the world with Ozzy showing his loveable side and Sharon launching her TV career and documenting her battles with cancer. She was a judge on the UK's X Factor form 2004 to 2007, returning in 2013.
    Kelly was briefly a pop star and until this year co-presented Fashion Police.
    She caused controversy last month after making a racially sensitive comment while guest-hosting on US talk show The View.

Kelly said on the show: 'If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?' Her comments were in response to Trump's controversial stance on illegal Mexican immigration.
    She later clarified her comment on Facebook.
    Jack fronted an adrenaline-seeking show but was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2012.
    Aimee had stayed under the radar, aside from a brief career in acting. She starred alongside Katherine Heigl in an MTV production of Wuthering Heights in 2003.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information