Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Bill & Melinda Gates Announce Separation After 27 Years of Marriage

^ Good lord, look at Jeff Bezos. Like he's a looker? He got the plastic woman whose brother sold him out to the tabloids, and his ex got tons of cash and became a philanthropist on her own. Something tells me she's not crying in her cornflakes.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Aww, this makes me pretty sad. They both seem like awesome people. People doing a lot of good with what they have.

This is really sad. My brain goes straight to cheating/betrayal, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    but the comments on FB calling her ugly are just mean. it's like they're saying, duh, of course they're getting divorced. she's not hot enough.
    This really chaps my ass. I remember being told, shortly after my divorce, that I was too pretty to be single .... which, of course, means I must be so fucking damaged my looks can't even keep a man around. oooooh that makes me angry.
    Kittylady and Merlot-N-Bali like this.

I think cheating is involved, too. I doubt two people who are this aligned - philosophically and politically - and have three children together, grew apart. I don't expect Bill's gf to be nearly as extravagant a hot mess as Jeff's, though.

I would find it "refreshing" if there is no scandal involved, no cheating, just plain old growing apart. Maybe covid and lockdown made them re-evaluate their relationship. I guess weirder things have happened.
    Trixie, fgg, GRuser1 and 3 others like this.
    -

I admit that Bill does not have a reputation for chasing tail. Whereas, Jeff has been working out a lot and trying to show off his body (warning sign!), Bill just is his usual schlubby self.

The growing apart doesn't make sense to me for people who have such a strong set of common interests and avocations. To me, those things bind you together. And they wouldn't have been affected much by COVID at all since they can travel wherever they want - or even have it brought to them.
    burnt_toast likes this.

^ doesn't really make sense to me either, but then again I don't understand people cheating / having affairs, but things happen, life happens.
    czb likes this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

The growing apart doesn't make sense to me for people who have such a strong set of common interests and avocations. To me, those things bind you together. And they wouldn't have been affected much by COVID at all since they can travel wherever they want - or even have it brought to them.
    Maybe one of them wants to back away from some of these endeavors and it's causing friction? People change and that could cause some growing apart issues. It does seem like they could stay married even if that's the case, but their foundation is pretty well enmeshed with the two of them ... I'm just hypothesizing, obviously I have zero idea.

Elite Member

I admit that Bill does not have a reputation for chasing tail. Whereas, Jeff has been working out a lot and trying to show off his body (warning sign!), Bill just is his usual schlubby self.

I have to respectfully disagree; having common interests and avocations doesn't a forever marriage make. My parents are a good example, fundamentally what they believe about family and children is 100% same page. Political beliefs, interests and personalities- they are extremely different and on different pages. My mom is life of the party, talk to the wall person. My dad is more than happy to sit home reading a good book. They're together 50 years and married 47 today. And they were babies when they got married (18 & 20) after knowing one another since young childhood.

I know several other couples that were basically the same person split apart and their marriages ended in under 10 years and often very bitter and acrimonious.

I think so many people have faced relationship and interpersonal struggles during COVID regardless of their socioeconomic status. I do think having more money and more "space" in terms of house size and multiple properties just gave some people more breathing room from one another but if there were already some underlying issues the forced "togetherness" may have just exacerbated it.

I was stuck home with R for 21 days in March 2020. By the time he was recalled back to work, I was ready to go to jail. Everything, everything, everything he did those final days had my teeth on edge.
    fgg, czb, Kittylady and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Maybe one of them wants to back away from some of these endeavors and it's causing friction? People change and that could cause some growing apart issues. It does seem like they could stay married even if that's the case, but their foundation is pretty well enmeshed with the two of them ... I'm just hypothesizing, obviously I have zero idea.
    I think it is safe to say there is no way either of them are backing away from their philanthropic endeavors. In my opinion, they are both on kind of a mission to save the world. I think that Bill is a little more environmentally (and public healthcare) focused, while Melinda seems to be focused also on equality for women in the workplace. Although, I doubt Bill is against that.

The part that I keep thinking about is that one of them might have dialed out on the sexual aspect of their relationship. I've heard this from zillions of guys mostly. A number of them will grit their teeth and just go without or sublimate their energy some other way. At least, that's what they've said. But others who can afford it have walked. Especially if the kids were not young any more.

The other things is that Melinda is the petitioner and the divorce petition says that the relationship is "irretrievably broken". I'm definitely very unfamiliar with family law - is that a common phrase used for amicable divorces? When I think of "broken", I think of something breaking something else.

Bill and Melinda Gates already decided how to divide wealth: 'Divorce is not something to waste money on'

Alexis KeenanĚReporter
    Tue, May 4, 2021, 5:16 AM

Billionaire Microsoft (MSFT) co-founder Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda Gates, announced on Monday that they would end their 27-year marriage, likely fueling speculation about how the high-profile divorce will play out.
    Family lawyer Randy Kessler, who has handled divorce cases involving professional athletes and entertainers, accurately predicted what court documents show — that the Gates worked out in advance how to separate their estimated $133 billion in net worth.
    A petition for dissolution of marriage that Melinda Gates filed on Monday noted that, while the couple did not have a prenuptial agreement, they did have a separation agreement. The petition simply asks the court to divide the property as laid out in that agreement and does not ask for ongoing spousal support.
    “My guess is they're going to work this out very privately, and that they will both be very comfortable with the way it turns out.” Kessler said. “I cannot imagine that she won't be happy or he won't be happy, financially.”
    According to the petition filed in Washington state’s King County Superior court on Monday afternoon, Melinda Gates, 56, filed for the divorce stating, “This marriage is irretrievably broken. We ask the court to dissolve our marriage and find that our marital community ended on the date stated in our separation contract.”
    Bill Gates is represented in the divorce by lawyers at Munger Tolles & Olson, which was originally co-founded by Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A, BRK-B) Vice Chairman Charlie Munger. Lawyers at Paul Weiss are representing Melinda Gates.
    Gates PetitionforDissolution by Erin Fuchs
    “If it was about the money,” Kessler said, “they’d stay married.”
    “People that have extraordinary wealth, have it for a reason,” Kessler added. “They know what not to waste money on, and what not to be in the press about. Divorce is not something to waste money on.”
    Melinda and Bill Gates each posted to their Twitter accounts on Monday a statement about their decision.

Tweet posted by Bill Gates Monday, May 3, 2021
    In addition to the couple’s wealth gained through Microsoft's empire, the couple will also need to decide on the future of their philanthropic entity Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Prior to the divorce filing, the Gates had transferred $20 billion of Microsoft stock to the non-profit.
    “I think it's going to remain as it is,” Kessler predicted about the enterprise that focuses on global health and poverty initiatives. “It's a testament to them if they can get divorced and still be working together on that...never underestimate bill or Melinda Gates, right?”
    Because the foundation is not an asset that either Gates needs to be able to pay their bills, Kessler said, it shouldn’t present a challenge, financially. To add, he said, the foundation's management team will likely play the most important role for its future. Currently, Bill and Melinda Gates serve as foundation co-chairs.
    “It’s more of an image thing,” he said. “I think the focus will be on not changing that image. They don't want their contributors or donors to worry that there's going to be anything different than it was.”
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

The other things is that Melinda is the petitioner and the divorce petition says that the relationship is "irretrievably broken". I'm definitely very unfamiliar with family law - is that a common phrase used for amicable divorces? When I think of "broken", I think of something breaking something else.
    She filed in Washington state, which has a no fault divorce, and that is the only grounds for divorce in the state.

It's similar to California and 'irreconcilable differences'.
    Last edited by albatross; May 4th, 2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: removed duplicate word
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Why does someone feel the need to own 269,000 acres of farmland? That amount of wealth and power makes me feel queasy.
    DawnM74 and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    I would find it "refreshing" if there is no scandal involved, no cheating, just plain old growing apart. Maybe covid and lockdown made them re-evaluate their relationship. I guess weirder things have happened.
    I like them both so I want to believe this.

I think it's funny how tabloids and online sites are acting surprised that at the time of the arrangement they have everything sorted out or agreed upon.
    This isn't your usual celebrity couple - they are both smart enough to handle money in a way that makes sense and is considerate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information