Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Axl Rose Declines Induction Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Guns N' Roses reunites for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction alongside Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 16:38, 15 April 2012 | UPDATED: 16:38, 15 April 2012
    On their way into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses got together for one more gig.

Axl Rose missed it.

The hedonistic hard rockers, who became the world's top music act amid endless dysfunction, reunited for three songs on Saturday night before 6,000 fans, many of whom were thrilled to see at least most of the band's original lineup jam on classic hits like 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Paradise City.'

Rose, the band's frontman and ringmaster of the G N' R traveling sex, drugs and rock and roll circus, declined to attend the induction, saying he did not want to be part of the ceremony because it 'doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected'.

Reunited: Guns N' Roses' Duff McKagan, left, Matt Sorum, top left, Steven Adler, top right, and Slash, right, perform with guest vocalist Myles Kennedy after induction onto the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

He was hardly missed.

While his decision disappointed some hardcore fans and ended any possibility of a full-scale reunion of the original lineup, guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steve Adler performed for the first time in nearly 20 years to the delight of the sell-out crowd inside historic Public Hall.

Guns N' Roses were one of the headliners of this year's eclectic group of inductees, which included the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, folk icon Donovan, late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro and British bands the Small Faces and Faces.

The event lasted well into the early morning with an All-Star jam featuring some of rock's biggest names closing the five-and-a-half hour ceremony with a stirring rendition of Stevie Wonder's 'Higher Ground'.
    Hours earlier, Chili Peppers lead singer Anthony Kiedis said it was strange to be enshrined while the band was touring.

'We're going somewhere,' Kiedis said. 'How can we stop and take an award when really we're just halfway there? But it is nice to be together with people that we spent some incredible years along the way writing songs and playing shows in little theaters and sweaty little transvestite clubs and having the time of our lives.'

Crowd-pleasers: Guns N' Roses performs in front of 6,000 fans at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 14, 2012, in Cleveland

Inducted: Drummer Steven Adler waves during the band's performance, left, and Duff McKagan throws his fist in the air, right

Happy: Guns N' Roses, from left: Matt Sorum, Duff McKagan, Slash and Steven Adler, after their crowd-pleasing performance

Cleveland rocked without Rose.

As he inducted Guns N' Roses, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong recalled the first time he saw the band on MTV. 'I thought, one these guys could end up dead or in jail,' he said.

Guns N' Roses came out both barrels blaring and their debut album 'Appetite For Destruction', shook a music world that at the time was consumed with pop ballads and dance music.

'It's the best debut album in the history of rock and roll,' Armstrong said. 'Every song hits hard. It takes you a trip to the seedy world of Los Angeles. The thing that set them apart from everyone else was guts. They never lost their edge for one second.'

Armstrong talked about each of the Guns members, talking about Slash's mastery and Adler's pulsive, pounding beats before pausing. 'Let's see, who am I missing?'

The reference to Rose drew boos and catcalls that Armstrong tried to shout down.

'He's one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone,' Armstrong said.

McKagan and Slash did not mention Rose during their brief remarks but then took the stage with Myles Kennedy, a member of a side project with Slash, singing lead vocals.

No show: Guns N' Roses' Duff McKagan, center and Slash, right, perform with guest vocalist Myles Kennedy after Axl Rose refused to attend

Like Guns N' Roses, the Red Hot Chili Peppers emerged from Los Angeles during the 1980s when Sunset Strip's rock scene was dominated by 'hair' bands more concerned with their tight lycra pants and eyeliner than their sound. Not the Chili Peppers, who found their unique groove by blending punk, funk, rock and rap.
    While their lineup has undergone some changes - founding guitarist Hillel Slovak died of a heroin overdose in 1988 - Kiedis and bassist Flea have survived personal highs and lows and the band remains one of music's top live acts.
    Kiedis said Slovak would have loved the honor.

'I think that he would have a good laugh,' Kiedis said. 'Yeah, it would certainly mean something to him as he cared deeply about music and the love of the brotherhood of being in a band and being a creative force in the universe, which he is and always will be a brother in everything we do.'

Comedian Chris Rock, a longtime fan and friend of the band, inducted the Chili Peppers.

'If (Beach Boy) Brian Wilson (funkmaster) George Clinton had a kid he would be ugly,' Rock said. 'But he would sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.'

The Chili Peppers took the stage at 1 a.m. and opened a four-song set with 'By The Way' with drummer Chad Smith flanked by Jack Irons and Cliff Martinez, two former drummers with the band.

Flea gave a moving speech in which spoke of his passion to play for the musicians before him. He choked back tears as he thanked his mother.

Legends: Green Day's Tre Cool, right, Billy Joe Armstrong, second from right, and Mike Dirnt introduce Guns N' Roses for their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Awarded: Guns N' Roses' Duff McKagan, left, accepts his trophy from Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong

Elated: Matt Sorum gestures as Duff McKagan, back left, Steven Adler and Slash, back right, watch

Three white middle-class smart alecks from New York City, the Beastie Boys were initially dismissed as beer-swilling frat boys following their 1986 debut album 'License To Ill', which featured songs like '(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)' and 'Girls'. But their follow-up, 'Paul's Boutique,' was acclaimed by critics and brought the Beasties credibility in the black hip-hop community.
    'It broke the mold,' said Public Enemy's Chuck D, later citing one of the group's lines. 'The Beastie Boys are indeed three bad brothers who made history. They brought a whole new look to rap and hip-hop. They proved that rap could come from any street - not just a few.'

Only two of the three Beasties attended the ceremony. Michael 'Mike D' Diamond, Adam 'Ad-Rock' Horovitz read a speech by Adam 'MCA' Yauch, who has been fighting cancer.

The Beasties are just the third hip-hop act to enter the hall, joining Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five and Run DMC.

Kid Rock joined the Roots in a medley of Beastie hits, including 'No Sleep `Til Brooklyn' and 'Sabotage'.

Stevie Van Zandt, one of Bruce Springsteen's sidemen in the E Street Band, inducted the Small Faces and Faces, bands that included Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood, two rock superstars.

Van Zandt credited the underrated bands for having a major influence on generations of rockers. He said both were blessed to have strong lead singers in the late Steve Marriott and Rod Stewart.

'Not many bands get two lives or two of the greatest white soul singers in the history of rock and roll,' he said.

Rocking out: Green Day performs to open the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on Saturday

Celebrated: Green Day (from left) Tre Cool, Billy Joe Armstrong and Mike Dirnt, performing to an excited audience

Stars: Billie Joe Armstong and drummer Tre Cool of Green Day perform in Cleveland

Stewart came down with the flu this week and couldn't attend. Simply Red's lead singer Mick Hucknall, a friend of the band, filled on three songs including the classic 'Stay With Me,' with Wood, previously inducted with the Rolling Stones, delivering an exquisite slide guitar.
    During a speech that was at times comical but heartfelt throughout, John Mellencamp inducted Donovan, a balladeer from the flower-power 1960s once labeled 'the new Dylan.' Donovan Leitch had a string of hits in the `60s with 'Sunshine Superman,' 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' and 'Mellow Yellow.'

During his remarks, Mellencamp raised the copy of Donovan's 'Fairy Tale' album he bought 47 years ago as a kid in Indiana.

'I wasn't just listening to Donovan, I was living Donovan,' Mellencamp said. 'He was my inspiration. One of the original originals.'
    The influential Nyro, who died in 1997, never reached commercial success but wrote hits for other artists. She was inducted by singer Bette Midler.

'I loved her the moment I dropped the needle on the vinyl,' Midler said. 'She was the very essence of New York City. Not in the gritty real sense, but in the passionate, romantic, ethereal, eternal sense.'
    Carole King inducted late rock promoter Don Kirchner, who helped launch the careers of Prince and the Eagles.

Smokey Robinson inducted long-deserving backup bands for early rock artists. The groups included Buddy Holly's The Crickets, James Brown's The Famous Flames, Bill Hailey's The Comets and Robinson's The Miracles.

Read more: Guns N' Roses reunites for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction alongside Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys | Mail Online

Looks like a good time was had by all. Even though i really don't think GNR should have been inducted, I'm glad they had a great time.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So Matt Sorum and Steven Adler both showed up and Steven played drums while Matt shook the tambourine. Something vaguely sad about that.

I have a permanent soft spot in my heart for Axl due to the obsessive love I held for him in 1991, but he acted like a douchebag here. I mean, c'mon. These guys are in their 50s, practically, who cares about petty shit from 15+ years ago. Be gracious and accept your damn award and don't be a bastard about it.
    shedevilang likes this.

I thought he didn't show up because he got fat.

Sad about MCA. Looks like Adam Yauch is fighting cancer again. I loooooovvveee the Beastie Boys.

Duff McKagan doesn't look half bad.

Axl says it's everyone else's fault: (No, I have no idea who Armand is, either.)

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - AXL ROSE Pens Letter To ROCK HALL: Won't Attend, Declines Induction

GUNS N' ROSES lead singer Axl Rose has released the following open letter to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, GUNS N' ROSES fans and "whom it may concern":

"When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced, I had mixed emotions, but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if GUNS N' ROSES were to be inducted, it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.

"Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of GUNS N' ROSES, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on GUNS and the Hall with their thoughts.

"Under the circumstances, I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of GUNS N' ROSES, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in 'our' induction (that, for the record, are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame induction ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.

"For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from GUNS their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.

"That said, I won't be attending the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction 2012 ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of GUNS N' ROSES to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of 'GUNS N' ROSES.'

"This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout), I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision. Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' scenario all the way around.

"In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the 'Appetite' or 'Illusion' lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed.

"The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of 'for the fans' or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal and DJ Ashba.

"Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, LOADED, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.

"There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.

"Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can.

"So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense.

"But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the 'no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans' crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on. No one's taking the ball and going home. Don't get it twisted. For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court.

"In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for GUNS' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting GUNS N' ROSES music.

"I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!

"Sincerely,

"Axl Rose

"P.S. RIP Armand, Long Live ABC III"
    Dee Snider from Twisted Sister says Axl's an asshole.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - DEE SNIDER Slams AXL ROSE For Skipping GUNS N' ROSES ROCK HALL Induction

TWISTED SISTER frontman Dee Snider interviewed legendary guitarist Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) on the "black carpet" of the fourth annual Revolver Golden Gods award show, which took place last night (Wednesday, April 11) at Club Nokia in Downtown Los Angeles. During the brief chat, Dee commented on GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose's announcement that he will not attend the band's induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this Saturday (April 14) in Cleveland and Axl's request to have his name withdrawn as a member of the group he co-founded and still fronts today.

"I'm gonna ask you the question, but I'm not gonna ask you to answer — I'm gonna give the answer," Dee told Slash. "Someone just [told me] that it's official Axl [Rose] is not gonna sing at the [GUNS N' ROSES] Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame [induction ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio], and I said it's crap. I said, if he can't put this this stuff aside for an event like that, for a recognition like that, to do the cool thing, and just in respect of what you guys have done, I think it's totally screwed up."

Replied Slash: "I'm not gonna comment on all that, but I'll be there, so…"
    Steven Adler is sad things turned out the way they did. But pretty damn pleased about being inducted himself:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - STEVEN ADLER On Classic GUNS N' ROSES Lineup: AXL ROSE 'Doesn't Believe In Any Of Us'

John Parks of Legendary Rock Interviews recently conducted an interview with former GUNS N' ROSES and current ADLER drummer Steven Adler. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Legendary Rock Interviews: Has it sunk in yet about the [Rock And Roll] Hall Of Fame? I know you've been a rock star for a long time but was this induction something you ever even considered?

Steven: No, but it's like everything that we dreamed about and believed in and it's something I am proud to notch off on my belt. We accomplished every fuckin thing that I dreamed about doing, even the drugs. I wanted to do drugs. I mean, all of my idols did drugs, I'm only saying it because it's the truth. Most of my idols made albums, toured around the world, fucked girls, and yes, did drugs and drank too much. I did every single thing I wanted to do and got every single thing I wanted except I never wanted to get kicked out of GUNS N' ROSES. I always and still think we should be together like AEROSMITH or THE [ROLLING] STONES. We should have been a band that lasted 30 or 40 years like that; that's what my dream was. That part of the dream just didn't happen. First it was me, then Izzy, then Slash and Duff, but I still love those guys, even Axl; they're my brothers. We accomplished so many of our dreams and to be able to all be out there still working and creating and more than anything, anything to still have our connections with the fans. We are blessed.

Legendary Rock Interviews: [During a recent interview, Slash's longtime friend and author] Marc [Canter] was really hoping that Duff [McKagan] could somehow be the voice of reason and broker a meeting of the minds between Axl and Slash but he seems to think that it's all just one big misunderstanding.

Steven: Axl doesn't believe in any of us. I have a feeling if he would've shown up [at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame], it would only be to perform with his band of scabs. . . Those guys are great players, they're great performers, but they're not GUNS N' ROSES. They're just not. I just wanted the same thing all of the fans want, which is to show up and play together. It's only rock and roll. It's not that hard — just show up, put the fans first and be a rock and roll band, if only for their sake. It's the fucking least we could do after everything the fans have given us. The fans have given us our careers for all these years. The fans were there then and they're still the reason we can play music and have careers. They love the five of us and they'd still love us and I don't understand why he can't see that. I'm not saying this out of pride or whatever, I'm saying it because it's the truth. There is not one rock and roll band that the fans have wanted to see a reunion of more than GUNS N' ROSES. Duff is a smart, smart man. You would have hoped that he could do that, like Marc said, somehow make sense of it all to Izzy and Axl, but all I know is Axl and Izzy can still no-show if that's what they want, and by all indications that's the case. Maybe Slash, Duff and I can still play with a couple other guys and rock and roll. Hell, I will personally guarantee you that, if nothing else, I will go up onstage with my drums and play to a CD of "Appetite" because the fans deserve it. I can't speak for Izzy and Axl, but I love and respect the fans — GN'R has the best fans in the world, the most loyal and sweet fans in the world — and it would be a slap in the face to them to not do something. It's one thing to get inducted in the Hall Of Fame, but what I want, what I really want more than anything, is just the chance to finish what I started with those assholes. (laughs) I'd like to notch that off on my belt that we could get up on stage just once and finish what we fuckin started in that little studio in Silverlake.
    Duff McKagan (Who did look pretty fine at the ceremony, didn't he?) seems a little tired of being in the middle:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - DUFF MCKAGAN On GUNS N' ROSES: 'Adversity Has Followed This Band Since Its Inception'

In the latest installment of his column, which appears on Reverb at SeattleWeekly.com, Duff McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED, GUNS N' ROSES) commented on GUNS N' ROSES' upcoming induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and indirectly on vocalist Axl Rose's decision to skip the ceremony.

"On THAT night, I will honor not myself or the chicken dinner they will most surely provide, but I will be honoring all those people who call themselves the fans of our group called GUNS N' ROSES," Duff wrote.

"Adversity has followed this band since its inception. I get it. That seems to be my sort of 'lot' in life... and I think that maybe through this whole sort of rub and honesty that GN'R portrayed in a very real way in those early records indeed may have helped countless others overcome varying adversities in their own lives. It's a wonderful and poignant thing to hear from different fans from around this globe. I hope that I can do you all proud.

"In the end, it's not about who does or doesn't show up from the original band, and I back whatever reason this guy or that has for not coming. It's all good. The songs are the important bit here... and the message they most certainly still must carry."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by dallison View Post
    Duff McKagan doesn't look half bad.
    I was thinking Duff looked like hell. Too skinny.

I guess someone realised that life goes on without him and everyone still enjoyed themselves and rocked on. I guess you're not the be all and end all after all eh, big fat crybaby.
    greysfang, holly, Yoko Ono and 1 others like this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

So glad to see Steven Adler up there!
    Bluebonnet and shedevilang like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I thought Duff looked pretty damned good too... especially considering that big, fat crycunt, Axl... juss sayin'
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Bronze Member

Axl is such an ass. I have never seen the original GNR live but everyone that I know that has seen them live all say the same thing. The band plays great-Axl sounds like shit.

Myles Kennedy does a good job - and in the side project as well.
    Lalique likes this.

God that just makes me so sad Steven looks so damn happy though doesn't he!
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information