Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree398Likes

Thread: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that he was sober. Fall off the wagon- I could maybe rationalize a suicide while he was not in his right mind. Sober? Well at least he wasn't fucked up.

Turns out neither makes this less fucking tragic.
    greysfang and Air Quotes like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Is it impossible that this was auto-erotic asphyxia thing? Why is that not being talked about?
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

A*O

It was my first thought. It’s happened before (Michael Hutchence, David Carradine and others). I think it’s hushed up because it’s less “dignified” than the tragic depressive scenario.
    yanna, rollo and Air Quotes like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Is it impossible that this was auto-erotic asphyxia thing? Why is that not being talked about?
    Probably because there wasn't anything to suggest it was that. I remember with the David Carradine story it was quite obvious by the details it was that (think he had something tied to his genitals?)

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Wow, I just stumbled upon a channel that, in memory of his passing, is showing non-stop episodes of Parts Unknown. In an episode on Argentina, he keeps asking the locals about the fact that almost everybody is in therapy and not ashamed of it. Then he visits a therapist and he tells her about 2 dreams he regularly has. One is that he is in a Victorian hotel and he wants to check out, but he can't because the halls are endless and he can't find the exit. He tells about being on the road 200 days a year and that it's a very lonely existence. That he cannot communicate with people close to him, except for his (then) 8-year-old daughter, but can easily communicate with total strangers. His other dream is that he wants to go home, but he has no idea where his home is.
    He also mentioned a quote by George Orwell, that humans are merely tubes that you shove food into. He then explains he travels 200 days a year, that people (his crew) set up their cameras and film him shoving food into his mouth.
    Quite amazing, in hindsight, to hear these quotes all in a span of 10 minutes in one single episode.
    I have a dream identical to the the bolded part. Sometimes, though, it's office buildings, sometimes hospitals, sometimes houses I've never been in before (especially lately - I keep moving into these endless mansions in my dream). I hope and assume that's beside the point in my case, but I could have related to that dream. I've had it frequently for about two years or so now. The fact that he died in a hotel like that is really fucking freaky and just saddens me more.

The other dream is really sad and frightening, too. I've had dreams of being lost, but not knowing where home is...just not being able to get there.

I have so many favorite episodes of Parts Unknown, but I think my favorite was when he went to the Congo. First of all the, opening monologue was brilliant.

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted to see the Congo. And for my sins…they let me. (Spoken over an image of a child with his face half in the water, à la Apocalypse Now.)
    Secondly, I learned so much about the Congo and got to see parts of it that I would never have been able to see otherwise. It's not like Paris or Copenhagen or Tokyo or Kenya where you can just catch a flight and go. And I loved when he was desperately trying to throw together a beef stew with no lights and no electricity while bobbing down the Congo river in a big, ancient boat. And after all that, they didn't even know if they could go home because there was some issue with the ferry, I think.

I can't come up with a second, third, 4th, 5th favorite though. But definitely Tangiers was way up the list, as was The Punjab.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Someone here mentioned that. And I've wondered as well.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Anthony Bourdain kicked a heroin addiction. If he was planning to die anyway, wouldn't he be more likely to shoot up one last time and just float away? Or get drunk and then shoot up? Why hang himself? Why would a man who had always honored his job commitments, who continued to show up for work every day even during the years of heavy drug use and heroin, commit suicide in the middle of filming a show? His death left his film crew out of a job and meant that his close friend Eric Ripert was the one who found his body. It meant that he wouldn't be there to help raise his daughter. Tony Bourdain wasn't one to duck out on his responsibilities. Suicide just seems out of character for him. And why was he cremated so quickly?
    rollo, I'mNotBitter and Butterfly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i hate that they published this or felt they had the need to.

let him have some dignity.
    one of the first people I had a conversation with about his death was a woman who said he must have been using drugs again.

it is sad and ignorant anyone would make that kind of assumption.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it was auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Or just plain murder.
    sprynkles, rollo and Butterfly like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    Anthony Bourdain kicked a heroin addiction. If he was planning to die anyway, wouldn't he be more likely to shoot up one last time and just float away? Or get drunk and then shoot up? Why hang himself? Why would a man who had always honored his job commitments, who continued to show up for work every day even during the years of heavy drug use and heroin, commit suicide in the middle of filming a show? His death left his film crew out of a job and meant that his close friend Eric Ripert was the one who found his body. It meant that he wouldn't be there to help raise his daughter. Tony Bourdain wasn't one to duck out on his responsibilities. Suicide just seems out of character for him. And why was he cremated so quickly?
    Hanging is a fast, reliable, relatively non-messy way to kill yourself and doesn’t require finding someone to locate illegal drugs for you, nor trying to calibrate the lethal dose of a street drug.

In general your questions reflect myths about suicide rather than realities. And there is no reason to move toward conspiracy-ville when suicide is quite common.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

A*O

The lack of a suicide note (or so we’ve been told) doesn’t prove anything, but the swift cremation does seem a bit odd. My first instinct when I heard the news was that we weren’t being told the full story and as time passes I’m becoming more sure there’s been some kind of coverup. Why do people do this? The truth always comes out eventually.

BTW Hanging may be effective but it’s not always fast or reliable. If you get it right you break your neck when you drop but if you don’t it’s slow strangulation which isn’t very pleasant at all.
    Waterslide, Angeli and Butterfly like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The lack of a suicide note (or so we’ve been told) doesn’t prove anything, but the swift cremation does seem a bit odd. My first instinct when I heard the news was that we weren’t being told the full story and as time passes I’m becoming more sure there’s been some kind of coverup. Why do people do this? The truth always comes out eventually.

BTW Hanging may be effective but it’s not always fast or reliable. If you get it right you break your neck when you drop but if you don’t it’s slow strangulation which isn’t very pleasant at all.
    He didn't hang himself like that. Most of these 'hangings' aren't like that. They are the ones where people sit down and tie something to the door knob etc.
    Brookie likes this.

His inner voice made him do it. Maybe he fought against the idea but couldn't convince himself to get help, maybe because he was tired of the struggle. Suicide can be planned or spontaneous, it can also be that he hoped that the urge would stop if he went along with it and it didn't. We'll never know.

I do know that I still have a hard time accepting his death, I wanted him to travel the world and I wanted to hear his sarcastic, but charming comments about everything. It's bizarre that he's just gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it was auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Or just plain murder.
    There are theories that it was something to do with the #Me Too movement or a warning to his girlfriend or something to do with her lifestyle. The entertainment industry is a very nasty place and they don't want a light shone on their activities.
    Angeli likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

The daily show just reposted this video today with Trevor interviewing Anthony. This was taped in January of this year.

CornFlakegrl and weathered1 like this.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information