Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree398Likes

Thread: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I have always preached about erasing the stigma of mental illness. Today, I actually posted on FB that I have depression. I was terrified to do it, but I wanted to practice what I preach. My friends/family know, but not "the world." I am a middle class suburban American. I have been married for almost 29 years. I have a job I am passionate about and two amazing children. A pretty typical person. I get why famous people are afraid to say it publicly. I have nothing to lose. No international reputation. I have always been fine with others saying they have some form of mental illness. No judgement. But, when it came time for me to do it, it scared me.

It's part of me, but doesn't define me, but now I do wonder if some people will look at me differently. I get why someone famous would be afraid to admit it or seek help. If progressive ol' me with nothing to lose and who "gets" it is afraid, I can see it, I really can see how hard it would be.
    I did a Facebook rant today on something similar, not I have depression, but that the stigma of mental health and access to mental health is hurting so many people. One of people that liked my post was having a going away party tonight because they are moving to Phoenix, so we stopped by to say hi. She confided in me that the reason they are moving to Arizona is because she's been depressed since her dad died, and she feels differently and better when in Phoenix, so they are moving to help her mental health. Now I'm not sure if she was telling everyone that, or just me, because I said it was ok to admit you're feeling bad.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

What I will miss most about Anthony was through his food travel shows he brought me to places in the world that I could never afford to travel to and see on my own. He took viewers to places that regular tourist don’t ever get to see. He was a gifted story teller too. But most of all I will miss his wicked sense of humor.

He got in hot water for saying this to TMZ a few months ago. The reporter asked him if he had the chance to prepare a meal for Trump and Kim Jong Un - what would it be? His answer is brilliant.

^^ Perfect answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Bowie fan and Bourdain fan here. You can't blame a suicide on a relationship. He's been battling demons personally with prior cocaine, heroin and before his death alcohol. Do you know him personally? Probably not. No reason to direct blame on someone for another persons suicide. If I were to off myself, the last thing I'd want is for someone to point the blame at anyone in my life. It'd be my decision finally deciding enough is enough, I'm sick of my life and I'm just dragging everyone around me down. No note, because that leads to future speculation and bullshit. Just end it.
    Mrs P. you mentioned alcohol. I've heard what I'm about to write from physicians and 12 Steppers, but I don't know AB's story or any details other than he was a recovering drug addict. I don't know if he ever stopped drinking or did a 12 step program but it seems as if he replaced his drug addiction with keeping alcohol on hand, a depressant. A culinary expert and lover of all cuisine's not being able to drink. He may have thought he could control it and remain a social drinker. I've heard this is not possible no matter what they've told themselves. Those programs need to be worked. Even though he came a long way it's not the way it works.
    Eric Clapton in his own words said he wasn't free and sober until all drugs and alcohol were out of his system permanently which took him 20 years. After the drugs were over he kept drinking until he went into a program. His greatest fear was that he wouldn't be able to do anything creative without alcohol and he would have to learn how to real relationships with family and women for the first time. He did it.

My mind is all over the place. I'm thinking about that specific moment in time when they say to themselves, I'm doing it right now. It made me think of Chris Cornell. He does a concert with the band, goes back to the room, I think he spoke to his wife on the phone (?) and then did it. Two months later Chester Bennington had a few depressed days prior to doing it and had alcohol in his system at the time. Anthony Bourdain was working on his program in France with his best friend, his crew and then it's over.

This was one of my favorites shows when he's in the Alps with Eric Ripert. Just sitting in the middle of the mountains at a set up table with lunch.

I'm sorry, Sput. It's because of you I paid more attention to his shows. Great stuff. Special person.

I'm still in shock about this and him. Celebrity suicide triggers something in me, like my head-monster is opening an eye, so it's actually a bit scary. And in this case it's even worse, not only because I really liked Anthony, but because for me, sarcasm, humor and quick wit are deflectors against depression and he was so very well equipped and still, depression won.
    He looked so different for awhile, lost a ton of weight, makes me think that he probably did not eat at all off camera, starving himself. He also had a well known addictive personality, who knows what he did to keep up with the pace of his career. I hope he had a peaceful moment in the end.
    politesse likes this.

His ex girlfriend Paula Froehlich (they dated in 2005) had the following to say:
    Though she took down her tweet, Froelich shared a series of follow-up tweets about depression. “It’s a sneaky little, sticky Bitch. You can be rich as hell, totally successful but still lonely AF and the ‘you’re nothing but a fraud’ voice only goes away when the Ambien takes effect,” she wrote in her first statement.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

^ Her tweet sounds childish to me. Sneaky little sticky Bitch hardly covers it. Also Val Kilmer has been posting that it's selfish. That's a different point of view that won't sit well here and he got lambasted for it but still, he had an 11 year old daughter and now she's another victim of suicide.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Val Kilmer is nuts. What he said was really inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    ^ Her tweet sounds childish to me. Sneaky little sticky Bitch hardly covers it. Also Val Kilmer has been posting that it's selfish. That's a different point of view that won't sit well here and he got lambasted for it but still, he had an 11 year old daughter and now she's another victim of suicide.
    Oh wow, I just looked up what he wrote. That's really inappropriate.
    Serendipity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    daphne Merkin wrote a wonderful op-ed in the NYT about Kate spade and how she hid her illness from the world, the way many depressed people do. She touched on the selfishness aspect and had his to say about it: “Some will inevitably blame Kate Spade for her decision or call it “selfish.” I don’t agree. It is very hard for those who haven’t suffered from serious depression to understand the hold it has on its victims — how it wipes out human connection, abnegating the claims of love or need, and the way suicide can begin to seem like an imperative, an escape rather than an ending.”
    she also goes on to say that the trauma of the suicide will follow the close family for the rest of their lives and I agree with you that they are also the victims of suicide.
    Its a really good piece.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/0...epression.html

bourdain had hinted on his shows and in his writing that he’d suffered from depression but he had such a larger than life personality that I don’t think anyone ever thought this is how he’d go.
    rollo, Waterslide and Serendipity like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Val Kilmer is nuts to write like he did. That's just gross and not helpful.

Anthony Bourdain is one of the few public figures I have really respected and admired.

Suicide in general is poorly understood, so the dialogue around a high-profile suicide is always pretty unclear and unhelpful imo.

The best research I’ve seen on suicide is by Thomas Joiner, who wrote the book “Why People Die by Suicide.” The factors he has isolated iirc are mainly:

* social disconnection
    * feeling oneself to be a burden
    * fearlessness regarding physical act of killing self

The first two conditions are ones many ppl struggle with, and the desire to die is not uncommon, but to have the third condition, the ability to kill oneself, is more rare.

We know Tony had the fearlesslness; he is regularly called fearless. His past addictions were training of a sort in self-harm, and he said he actually desired the kinds of injuries chefs endure in the kitchen. He was a badass. That physical and mental bravado makes him a strong candidate to overcome the self-preservation instinct and begin and complete the suicide act.

We know he had a merciless travel schedule and it’s quite likely he found himself feeling isolated and lonely as a result. We know he had major relationships, but how much time did he get to spend with the ppl he loved most?

The other factor, feeling like a burden, is harder to know without access to a person’s thoughts. He has made a lot of statements in the last indicating significant pain, loss, regret, but we couldn’t know how he’s been feeling recently.

However much it may seem like a person who commits suicide is selfish, their thought process is typically the opposite, that “my loved ones will be better off without me.” Though the thinking may be twisted and wrong, there is actually a misguided altruism in it.
    Angeli, weathered1, czb and 2 others like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I just stumbled upon an episode of No Reservations in which he visited Canada and ate raw seal with the Innuit (sp).

Source: Yahoo/People

Anthony Bourdain’s Shocked Mother Speaks Out After Son's Apparent Suicide: 'He Had Everything'

Anthony Bourdain's Mother Speaks Out on Son's Suicide
    Anthony Bourdain’s mother is in complete shock over her son’s apparent suicide at age 61.
    Speaking with the New York Times, hours after news of his death, Gladys Bourdain said she had no indication that her child might have been thinking of suicide.
    “He is absolutely the last person in the world I would have ever dreamed would do something like this,” she told the publication, which was a longtime editor for.
    On Friday, longtime friend and renowned chef Eric Ripert found the Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown host unresponsive in his hotel room in France.
    Gladys spoke to Ripert following her son’s sudden death and Ripert told her “Tony had been in a dark mood these past couple of days.”
    Gladys also shared she had “no idea why” her son might have decided to kill himself.
    “He had everything. Success beyond his wildest dreams. Money beyond his wildest dreams,” she told the Times.
    Ripert was in France with Anthony to film an upcoming episode of the award-winning show Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.
    “Anthony was a dear friend,” Ripert said in a statement to PEOPLE. “He was an exceptional human being, so inspiring and generous. One of the great storytellers of our time who connected with so many. I wish him peace. My love and prayers are with his family, friends and loved ones.”

The last photo Anthony shared of his mother was one from his childhood which also featured his brother Christopher.
    “In retrospect, I blame this matching shorts and knee socks incident for the decades of bad decision making that followed. #ChildhoodTrauma,” he captioned the black and white portrait of the family of three on Instagram in December 2016.
    A police spokesperson in Strasbourg, France, confirmed Bourdain’s death to PEOPLE, but would not confirm the cause of death. The manner of death has been classified as a suicide.
    Additionally, Colmar, France, public prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny du Fayel told PEOPLE that Bourdain died by hanging at a luxury hotel in Kaysersberg called Le Chambard, and said, “at this stage, nothing suggests the intervention of a third party.”
    In a statement provided to PEOPLE, the U.S. Embassy in Paris said, “We can confirm the death of Anthony Bourdain in the Haut-Rhin department of France. We extend our sincere condolences to friends and family. We stand ready to provide appropriate consular service. Out of respect for the family at this difficult time we have no further comment.”

***** celeb

I read an article that said the was traveling 250 days a year and the lack of stability, comfort and loneliness of the road had begun to take a toll on him. He was isolated because of his work and that allowed the demons to come calling.

***** celeb

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information