Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree398Likes

Thread: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

WTF? I love this guy. I never thought that he would be depressed. I'm actually shocked. And quite sad.

OCD

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I did wonder if he was inspired by Kate Spade's suicide. Imagine if you are already in a very dark place, you might look at someone with a similar position in life who has killed herself and identify with her just a little too much, and think about how her suffering is now at an end... I can see where it could intensify your own feelings of wanting peace at any price and give you the final push to do what you already had a mind to do.

It's just so awful all around.
    It makes you feel like if that person couldn’t figure it out, maybe it is the right thing to do. Maybe there is no getting better. I wake up most days and my first thought is that I can’t do it anymore, it would only take one crisis or stressor to put me into serious danger, I imagine something in their lives is the catalyst, even if it’s a warped thought pattern and not something actually tangible or true.

And to have all that success, I imagine there’s a deep feeling of shame and self hatred over being so miserable in spite of life having given you everything.

All of you you guys here who suffer this bullshit too, I really really want you to know that I care and you can PM me anytime. I don’t have any answers, but sometimes it helps just to talk to someone who gets it. <3

(I’m a super mushy person in real life and a cranky person on the internet.)
    lindsaywhit, Sarzy, tulip and 1 others like this.

Suicide Stats: up 25% since 2000.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

fgg

i know several of you have posted the crisis hotline phone number but i just saw that there are text contacts as well:

https://www.crisistextline.org/

text HOME to 741741 in the US and 686868 in Canada. supposedly available in the UK as well but i don't see the code.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    This is so very sad. Do we have a thread about mental illness, depression, suicide, etc.? I'm going to look for one, or start one because it is vital that these issues are looked at, brought out of the shadows, and dealt with knowledge and compassion and with hearts and minds open.

RIP, Anthony.
    Great idea. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I'd definitely participate.
    Mrs P and lindsaywhit like this.

OMG, wtf! I'm not even really a fan of his, but I'm crying. I think he was really cool to explore the world and cultures through food. I loved that sitcom based off his book, Kitchen Confidential.

Suicide really is contagious and what with the current world situation I can understand how it's becoming more common. I went through a dark spot myself a few months ago and learned NOT to seek friends' help and definitely not to say anything to anyone in one of those positions where they have to report it, because rather than helping me they made everything much worse. Hotlines and anonymous internet interactions are probably the way to go for me, at least.

I would definitely like a mental health thread. Also, to OCD and everyone else who has shared their struggles, your posts are something I really look forward to and please don't ever give up. You are (I know this is super-sappy, sorry!) rays of light and you have so much that you give just by being you.
    Mrs P, needmeds, Brookie and 1 others like this.

fgg

Anthony Bourdain reflected on death in months before suicide

Four months before he killed himself in a hotel room in France, Anthony Bourdain eerily spoke about death — but also said he was “happy in ways I didn’t think I ever would be.”

“I’m going to pretty much die in the saddle,” he told People magazine in February while filming his show “Parts Unknown.”

The 61-year-old chef and TV show host said he spends about 250 days a year on the road — but wasn’t planning on retiring from his globe-trotting life any time soon.

“I gave up on that. I’ve tried. I just think I’m just too nervous, neurotic, driven,” he said. “I would have had a different answer a few years ago. I might have deluded myself into thinking that I’d be happy in a hammock or gardening. But no, I’m quite sure I can’t.”

Despite his busy schedule, Bourdain made sure to carve out five days a month to spend time with his 11-year-old daughter Ariane, who lives with his ex-wife Ottavia Busia in Manhattan.

“I’ll go back, see my daughter, unpack, repack, mimic a normal life, which is extraordinarily pleasurable to me,” he said.

Bourdain said the birth of his only child made him feel like he had “some responsibility” to “at least try to live.”

“I also do feel I have things to live for,” he said. “There have been times, honestly, in my life that I figured, ‘I’ve had a good run — why not just do this stupid thing, this selfish thing … jump off a cliff into water of indeterminate depth,'” he said, recalling something he’d once done for his show “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.”

Before his daughter was born, Bourdain said he’d often push his boundaries.

“I was, frankly, asking for trouble. It was a daredevil move,” he said. “In retrospect, I don’t know that I would do that today, now that I’m a dad or reasonably happy.”

He described himself to People as being “happy in ways that I have not been in memory” and “happy in ways I didn’t think I ever would be, for sure.”

He credited girlfriend Asia Argento with his contentment.

The pair met in 2016, when the Italian actress appeared on season eight of “Parts Unknown.”

Bourdain also admitted he was once addicted to heroin and cocaine and was drinking too much in his final years working in the restaurant industry, but he said he wasn’t a daily drinker.

“It’s never been an addiction for me,” he said about alcohol. “I’ve abused alcohol, for sure, but I’ve never felt a compulsion to … cigarettes, obviously, that’s an addiction.”

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/08/antho...efore-suicide/

Man, I had forgotten about this. In 2011 he came to Arrowhead Stadium because the Chiefs tailgating is the best in the world. One of the few episodes of his show I watched. I do remember reading anecdotes about how down to earth and unassuming he was.

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

This makes me SO sad. Anthony Bourdain was so entertaining -- smart, hip, funny, interesting. I loved Kitchen Confidential and his show was great, too. I just can't believe that he'd commit suicide. I cannot believe it. Perhaps he was diagnosed with something fatal -- like lung cancer -- that the world didn't know about?

I'm not at all a conspiracy theorist, but here goes. Maybe this isn't about Bourdain, but is about Asia Argento. She's accused Harvey Weinstein of rape and he's a very powerful man. Maybe this was an attempt to intimidate her. Maybe it's not a suicide, but a murder.

I don’t get hit hard by celeb deaths often, but this one hits me hard.
    Waterslide, Angeli, Mrs P and 3 others like this.

fgg

i saw something that said asia was photographed recently holding hands with another man. the photographer apparently took the photos down.
    Waterslide, Brookie and Palermo like this.

And to have all that success, I imagine there’s a deep feeling of shame and self hatred over being so miserable in spite of life having given you everything.
    I can relate to this on a personal level! I don't talk much about my private life on here, but I've battled depression ever since I was a teenager (didn't get diagnosed till my mid/late 20s though). And I felt so guilty, because as an adult (definitely not in my childhood/teen years), I looked to everyone else like I had/have the perfect life. And I do have a good life, I can't deny that. But happiness doesn't come from external things, & oddly, having what's perceived as a perfect life makes me feel even more guilty for not being "happy". And I'm using the term happy for lack of better word. I used to tell myself if X happens, then I won't be depressed anymore, & when it would come to fruition, I'd still be miserable & then focus on the next thing that would make me feel better. But it doesn't ever work, because my problem is ME. Nobody else, nothing else. It's ME. I can't get out of the hole & I can't get away from myself. I take my meds, but all they do anymore is keep me from making everyone else around me miserable too.

Ugh. Sorry. I've said a lot more than I care to really share, but I felt like I needed to say it.

I want to hug you Holly because what you've said could all exactly apply to me too. I feel selfish talking about the intense depression and anxiety, like mine is so much less than everyone else's. Thank you for sharing. *hugs*

Anthony's death is hitting me hard, too, and I don't know why. I wasn't particularly a devoted fan, but he just seemed so human and approachable that I guess it hits close to home.
    holly, czb, sluce and 4 others like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I want to hug you Holly because what you've said could all exactly apply to me too. I feel selfish talking about the intense depression and anxiety, like mine is so much less than everyone else's. Thank you for sharing. *hugs*

Anthony's death is hitting me hard, too, and I don't know why. I wasn't particularly a devoted fan, but he just seemed so human and approachable that I guess it hits close to home.
    ((((hugs)))) to you too OrangeSlice. I'm so sorry you are in this same boat.
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    I'm not at all a conspiracy theorist, but here goes. Maybe this isn't about Bourdain, but is about Asia Argento. She's accused Harvey Weinstein of rape and he's a very powerful man. Maybe this was an attempt to intimidate her. Maybe it's not a suicide, but a murder.
    For not being a conspiracy theorist, that's quite the conspiracy.
    Ravenna, fgg, Icepik and 7 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information