Thread: Cruise control: Tiny Tom Cruise squashed Amazon selling critical Scientology book?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Cruise control: Tiny Tom Cruise squashed Amazon selling critical Scientology book?

[QUOTE]Tom Cruise is denying that he pressured Amazon to stop selling a book critical of the Church of Scientology.

On Oct. 31, Irish publisher Merlin released “The Complex,” in which John Duignan, identified as “a former high-ranking member” of the church in Britain, describes his “dramatic escape” from its “elite para-military group,” the Sea Organization. Five days later, Cruise dropped by Amazon’s Seattle headquarters to glad-hand staffers and host a sneak peek at his new movie, “Valkyrie.”

A few days later, Amazon’s British Web site stopped selling “The Complex,” explaining to customers that someone mentioned in the book had alleged it defamed him with “false claims.”

“U.K. law gives us no choice but to remove the title from our catalogue,” Amazon said in a statement.

“I believe Tom Cruise influenced them,” Duignan tells us.

Cruise’s rep denies that charge.

So does Amazon spokeswoman Patty Smith, who insists it was simply Britain’s tough libel laws that forced Amazon.co.uk to yank “The Complex.” The book, a*vail***able on Amazon.com as of last Tuesday, is now “temporarily out of stock,” according to the American Web site.

Lawyers for the complaining member, a noncelebrity, want to keep it that way: They’ve demanded the “destruction” of the books.

Smith says: “We definitely want to offer it to our Amazon.com customers. We just don’t have the inventory.”

Duignan, a Scientologist for 22 years, alleges in his book that members were subjected to sleep deprivation and “brain-washing” and that punishments were “meted out to anyone who transgresses, including children.” When he left, Scientology’s Office of Special Affairs “had people posted outside my parents’ house in Ireland,” he tells us.

Duignan, 45, says he began to question the church’s priorities at a 2004 gala in England where Cruise was honored. “I’d been trying to change the image of the church by volunteering in disadvantaged communities,” he tells us. But the “party was of such unbelievable opulence, I began to see the church was all about money.

“I directly know 20 members who went insane or committed suicide,” Duignan says. “I personally went through a period of insanity. I’m hoping this book can be a lifeline to my former comrades.”

Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw argues that Duignan’s book is filled with “false accusations,” that he was only a “mid-level administrator,” that there was no “cloak and dagger machination” to stop him from leaving and that “no one has ever committed suicide at the facility where Mr. Duignan worked in the U.K.”'The Complex' author John Duignan cites Tom Cruise control

Oh sure, he just happened to stop by their office, glad hand a few star struck morons, show his crappy new film and try to hypnotize them with his crazy-assed eyes.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

apparently the only place (left) where you can get a copy of that book, is eason.ie, a bookseller in Ireland. not even waterstones.com is carrying the book. very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    apparently the only place (left) where you can get a copy of that book, is eason.ie, a bookseller in Ireland. not even waterstones.com is carrying the book. very odd.
    OK-now the is VERY odd indeed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Believe me this has pissed off Anon, BIG time. Thankfully Eason delivers internationally as well, so North American customers can get a hold of the book.

There's more info at Anon's "war room" for this issue:
    John Duignan / The Complex Situation Room - Why We Protest | Activism Forum

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I feel like buying this book now just to piss off the $cieno's. I've also heard it's a pretty good read, too.

So the guy knows 20 some people who either went insane or killed themselves but his wake up call was an opulent party? I don't doubt his experiences but I find that particular part a bit interesting.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    So the guy knows 20 some people who either went insane or killed themselves but his wake up call was an opulent party? I don't doubt his experiences but I find that particular part a bit interesting.
    Yeah, but don't some of these people who go a bit nutso get offloaded and declared Suppressive Persons before they go completely ya-ya and tip over the edge? In which case, anyone still "in" may not find out about it until they have blown themselves. If they are off-loaded before they completely lose the plot the cult leaders can (and most likely will) tell those remaining that the blown person's mental illness was because they rejected $cientology doctrine rather than it being caused by it. The indoctrination is so extreme that while someone is still part of the cult they'll believe any kind of bullsh*t story about how someone really met their end that is fed to them.

We all joke about it, but this cult really is a scary damn thing

Yes it is, damn libel laws

Hit By Ban Bus!

The Co$ has stopped a lot of books about their dirty dealings, and will probably stop more. They are unbelievably litigious. Kudos to the bookstore in Ireland for not being intimidated.

Thread Information