Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colin Farrell: My son is exactly the way he should be

Default Colin Farrell: My son is exactly the way he should be

By Monique Jessen

Source People

Colin Farrell says he's thankful for the early diagnosis of his 4-year-old son's neuro-genetic disorder and for the vast joy his "little fella" experiences.

"He's nothing but a gift," Farrell, 31, said about son James on the Irish interview show Tubridy Tonight. With paternal pride he said: "As far as I'm concerned he's exactly the way he should be."

Though he was on TV to promote his latest movie, In Bruges, Farrell addressed the topic of James, whose Angelman Syndrome was revealed publicly last year.

"Angelman's is a neuro-genetic disorder," he explained. "The 15th chromosome is dormant. It affects their fine motor skills. They say that one in 30,000 children is affected by it."

According to his father, before James had celebrated his first birthday, he was showing signs of illness, which led to an early diagnosis for the boy.

Early Intervention
    "I've been very lucky that it was early because he started having seizures at about eight or nine months," said Farrell. Initially doctors thought James had cerebral palsy but soon he was diagnosed correctly and "we got early intervention," said the Irish actor.

The genetic disorder, which can impair speech, movement and balance meant that James walked his first few steps last fall, when he was 4. "It's just different," said the actor. "It's not different to me. He has his own path. He's just brilliant."

Farrell shares custody of his son with the boy's mother, model Kim Bordenave. He said he decided to go public about his son's health after people started asking questions about his involvement with the Special Olympics.

"I didn't talk about my son [but] I felt like I was betraying him, like it could be misconstrued as shame, which would be terrible, because he's such a celebration," says Farrell.

Questioning the concept of "normal," Farrell says his son is happier than so many people in the world. "I look around and I see people who move perfectly, who walk with grace, who speak with great diction and clarity and a great use of the English language and we're all miserable f---ers including me, at times.

"And then I see this fella who doesn't move the way what's perceived to be 'normal' is, and he's as happy as can be."

Colin is so sexy

God, I love that man!

What a heartwarming, feel good thread.

It's nice to see the softer side of a so called 'bad boy,'

^That's always sexy.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Awh. I didn't even know he had a son. It's sweet that he loves and accepts that lil boy just the way he is. <3

Very sweet. Sounds like a very loving dad.

I can't stand him but it seems like he's a really sweet dad.
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

Im pretty sure if given the choice ol Colin would rather his kid without said syndrome.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I really appreciate how proud he is of his son. It is very sweet.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Im pretty sure if given the choice ol Colin would rather his kid without said syndrome.
    Theoretically yes but I think once you have your own kid you just sort of adore them and love them the way they are. I'm sure there are times when it gets frustrating but then again, there are probably huge rewards as well.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

He so sexy and that picture of him kissing the top of his boys head makes me swoon..
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I love this guy for what he said about his son. I hope it's true of course, and not a way to get good pubblicity, while he secretly hates his son (that would be horrible!).

He seems like a very loving and dedicated father. Good for him.

I think that its god that he talks about this, and belays the "perfect person/family/child" thing that a lot of celebs go for - presenting picture perfect kids for the paps, or hiding disabilities.
    Kudos to Colin for talking openly about his son; yes, maybe he would have preferred to not have a dormant 15th cromosone (or whatever), but it's obviously been a learning curve for him; and sometimes people come up shining from those!
    Good for him & his girlfriend for working out the child care too.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

^^ Who was the celeb who hid their autistic child for years? Was it Travolta?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information